Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Do we both need to be resident?

Do we both need to be resident?

Old Jul 1st 2020, 1:43 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we both need to be resident?

Originally Posted by macliam
Yeah, I can lose out in several countries at once! There was fear, early on, that the UK would renege on the CTA too - that would have been interesting!

I've a photocopied letter and her old passport with the relevant stamp.... luckily. Of course, she doesn't have a new passport, because she didn't need one for travelling in Europe.... and I guess we now have to get a wiggle on before the shutters come down, not helped by the current situation.
Then she doesn't need settled status.

Although if she were to apply for it, it would give her more rights than ILR :
If you have indefinite leave to enter or remain

Indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILR) are types of immigration status.

You’ll usually have applied for indefinite leave to enter or remain. You’ll have a stamp in your passport or a letter from the Home Office. You could also have a ‘vignette’ (sticker) or a biometric residence permit.

You can continue to live in the UK without applying to the EU Settlement Scheme if you have indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK. However, if you choose to apply (and meet all the other conditions), you’ll get ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’ - also known as settled status.

This means you should be able to spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK without losing your settled status (instead of 2 years with the indefinite leave to enter or remain you have now).
Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

And I don't see how you're losing out - you seem to me to have a multitude of rights and options.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, and before I book a plane ticket now that the UK government has eased quarantine restrictions for HK residents, does CGT apply to EVERYONE who becomes resident in Portugal should they sell a property? I've just been reading posts on similar subjects on this forum, and several people have asked about selling UK property with the hope of escaping CGT in Portugal. If this is a worldwide tax then obviously I need to sell my HK property before taking that plane ride, and given all of the crazy stuff going on here at the moment the property market is not exactly roaring. Would the same thing apply for the golden visa programme? Would be still get clobbered for CGT if we decide to take that route (before selling up here) instead of me travelling there before the end of the year and renting somewhere to then be able to apply for residency? Clearly I need to have my financial ducks lined up here before rushing into something that might work out very expensive...
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has his name on our deeds alone, my name is not on them. I wonder if I took out a lease on a property in Portugal in my name only, then my primary residence would be Portugal and his the UK. This is if we don't sell our property before we come. I wonder if he wouldn't be stung for CGT as he has sold his primary residence in the UK. That would only work if I get residency before December 31st, but could add his name as resident next year. This is terrible, we lived in Spain for two years and didn't like it, we came back 7 years ago with a view to not staing in the UK very long, unfortunately, it didn't work out due to work committments and here we are on a tightrope, with my husband committed here until the end of October.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Andyj100 will become famous soon enoughAndyj100 will become famous soon enough

CGT was applied to non-residents for property sales in 2015. IF you are a "qualifying" non-resident you only pay the gain from 2015 to the date of sale. "Qualifying" is more or less 5 years, so if you leave the UK today, become non-UK resident sell a property, you declare the post 2015 gain, deduct the allowance and just make sure you don't do anything in the UK that could jeopardise your non-resident status for 5 years or so. HK property would be subject the HK rules. If you are not a UK resident it's nothing to do with HMRC. I would imagine if you turn up in Portugal with a declared assets, you pay Portuguese CGT on any gains after becoming resident.

I sold a UK property last year and paid less that GBP1000 for professional advice to go through a process that ensured I legally did not have to pay 30k or so in CGT. There are good advisors that have a lot of knowledge and I'm glad I paid for advice (I'll not post the name of the advisor here, but I would be happy to share).
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

HK property would be subject the HK rules. If you are not a UK resident it's nothing to do with HMRC. I would imagine if you turn up in Portugal with a declared assets, you pay Portuguese CGT on any gains after becoming resident.

And that's the bit that concerns me. We do not have CGT in HK - in fact we have very few taxes at all. The rate for earned income is a flat 16%, and about 50 percent of the working population don't earn enough to pay any income tax at all. Everyone else pays the same rate never mind whether they get paid thousands or millions of HK dollars a month. Given that HK property prices are the highest in the world I need to make sure that I don't leave myself open to paying a tax that I could avoid by selling up before leave for good.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bons
My husband has his name on our deeds alone, my name is not on them. I wonder if I took out a lease on a property in Portugal in my name only, then my primary residence would be Portugal and his the UK. This is if we don't sell our property before we come. I wonder if he wouldn't be stung for CGT as he has sold his primary residence in the UK. That would only work if I get residency before December 31st, but could add his name as resident next year. This is terrible, we lived in Spain for two years and didn't like it, we came back 7 years ago with a view to not staing in the UK very long, unfortunately, it didn't work out due to work committments and here we are on a tightrope, with my husband committed here until the end of October.
Why complicate matters - if you register under the non habitual residency scheme, foreign capital gains on fixed property will be tax free in Portugal (exception of property in the Portuguese black list, and also in my opinion, though there are some contradictory opinions, there is also no double tax treaty) if the property abroad is sold whilst in the nhr. Then you can sell your UK, before, during or after you become resident without stress - only need to make sure that you don't have income subject to PT taxation, as the CG will be included to determine the tax rate on the non exempt income.