Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

A different residency query

A different residency query

Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default A different residency query

I have searched but can't find any info regards this situation, so hoping the usual site unofficial experts may ponder and discuss

Now UK not EU

I've been resident 2yrs, fully settled here, bought 2 properties, fully intend staying.
I've a son with a girlfriend and child, looking at and seriously thinking about a better life in Portugal.
How would that work and is there any benefit or law that helps with it as him having a resident parent/family already here?

He is no longer a dependent, not on a qualified desirable career list, not much savings so gold visa etc not a factor, not married.

I must admit I haven't followed the changes post brexit as to how harx/easy it is now to become resident?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A different residency query

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
I have searched but can't find any info regards this situation, so hoping the usual site unofficial experts may ponder and discuss

Now UK not EU

I've been resident 2yrs, fully settled here, bought 2 properties, fully intend staying.
I've a son with a girlfriend and child, looking at and seriously thinking about a better life in Portugal.
How would that work and is there any benefit or law that helps with it as him having a resident parent/family already here?

He is no longer a dependent, not on a qualified desirable career list, not much savings so gold visa etc not a factor, not married.

I must admit I haven't followed the changes post brexit as to how harx/easy it is now to become resident?
If you have the golden visa children over 18 might qualify, if still in education. Unless your son speaks Portuguese/ or at least has skills that are in demand, I doubt Portugal will offer them a better life. Even with an EU passport he'd still need a job that pays decent money? Those who are young and want to remain in EU now move to Ireland and then apply for citizenship. During the 5 years you can work, save money and use that time to learn skills that will help with a move to Portugal later on.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 17th 2021 at 5:34 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

When immigrating to PT, only your nationality is relevant, unless you hold permanent EU residency elsewhere.
UK residency is only relevant/apply to UK.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input.

Regards the financial point, what is deemed a better life may involve financially to some but for others like my son it involves more family time, better outdoor life, etc

Re the UK aspect I believe you've answered my query as to whether myself already being a resident here would aid them and it appears from what you've said the answer is no.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Thanks for the input.

Regards the financial point, what is deemed a better life may involve financially to some but for others like my son it involves more family time, better outdoor life, etc
Of course, but eventually it will involve the financial side. I've worked with many Portuguese over the years and some love their country and others hate their country, but there is always one main reason why they left.
When you are trying to feed a family with 800€ a month and also have longer working hours, the so called better outdoor life is just a word. You still have bills to pay, you might need a car and the dentist is not cheap either. It's not all doom and gloom and there are plenty of people earning very good money, but what does your son do? If he can get a Northern European wage and the company allows you to work remotely in Portugal, then happy days. But unfortunately you still need to meet the entry requirements.