Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Deliveries....letting off steam, here.

Deliveries....letting off steam, here.

Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deliveries....letting off steam, here.

What, your road has a name?
Luxury.
Our road has no name and the houses along it aren't numbered; and it's a tarmac road that's used fairly heavily.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Got a delivery by Seur yesterday. Correct day as per tracking and even got a phone call to make sure he was on the correct road. When we first came here there was no road sign nor was our address on google maps. We now have a small road sign but only on one side of the road(not good if you are travelling in the other direction but ... as least we now have one.) Husband contacted google to put road on google maps and we are now there in black and white. Funny how Portuguese roads peter out and turn into another one with an entirely different name when it is in fact the same road!
I've put my house on Google maps as an old folks' home because it's very apt. The only trouble is not all delivery drivers use sat nav or Google maps. Oh and someone rang my bell the other day and asked for a room!
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Bearing in mind there are now several other options to Google Maps such as What Three Words & Here We Go there is no excuse for them not being able to find a location but if anything, the new addressing system being slowly introduced is going to make things worse.

The new house numbering system is worked on the basis of how many metres the corner of the house is from the nearest road junction & we're number 102 but the only house in the road & that sounds logical at first but in a loop road, it's theoretically possible for every 4 houses to have the same number.

What idiot thought that one up FFS!
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I use my gps coordinates as part of my address; all anyone has to do is enter the numbers into any map program and it will show them to my front gate.
One driver did that once.
Others just say that GPS doesn't work in Portugal.
It does work of course, but not for addresses.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe this nonsense is still going on
We have a street name now Unfortunately its so long that it rarely fits on to any address lines when ordering goods
However, we are also now on Google maps ( I have seen a picture of our house from the air..weirdly for a 'new' addition..its a very old picture, original house colour and gates
The last delivery ( my passport) from DHL driver ,who is a very pleasant man, prompted the observation that 'Now I have new automatic gates, with modern lights ,and an electric bell on the gate ,I should have no further problems with deliveries . I see... My old, but perfectly serviceable gates, with attached large cowbell ,was the reason I didn't get previous parcels delivered then!!
Glad thats been cleared up
The Portuguese plan to re.nationalise the post office in 2021...It can only get better... surely ?
Old Nov 26th 2019, 11:27 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The problem (as I've found to my cost) is that many deliveries are "organised" from Spain - and Portuguese address details don't fit on a Spanish pro-forma - so you end up with any "extra" details like phone numbers or dropoff points ignored and gobbledygook being provided to the poor sap who has to actually deliver the goods.

In my case, they only take the first 4 digits of the postcode, ignore the locality given and replace it with the default locality for the postcode and try to deliver 15kms way without any means to contact me.

This was ebay - but others do the same. When I reported the issue, ebay just refunded to costs, but did zip to change the flawed process.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Ctt expresso have announced today our address is not correct and they couldn't find the house 🙄
Funny they managed to do so 10 days ago....

😂😂😂
Old Nov 29th 2019, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Ctt expresso have announced today our address is not correct and they couldn't find the house 🙄
Funny they managed to do so 10 days ago....

😂😂😂
They managed first thing this morning, maybe the guy yesterday just fancied an early finish....

Old Dec 4th 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's how to get the delivery people to call you; go far enough away from home so you can't take delivery.
I had 2 call me today while I was 100km from the house.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

same problem here in rural Abruzzo. they say delivery address not recognised- I honest
y think they can't be bothered to drive up the hill oreven bother to phone.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand why There are so many problems with delivery. Just get your parcel delivered to a local Cafe. If you know you are going to have a problem then why not do something about it before it happens. The local Cafe here in Gois Cafe Maytay are happy to take parcels in for anybody i also add my phone number to the address and the driver calls to let me know he has delivered. But then again he is a UPS driver.
I have five parcels on there way over to me now but i suffer none of the stress that some people on here must be having. Because i am in control

Peter

Old Dec 4th 2019, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't go the local cafe [or any cafe] and don't want to ask anyone to do me favors. It's not their job to handle my mail.

If I have something delivered, it should be delivered; especially if it's something like a a car engine or a refrigerator.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I have five parcels on there way over to me now but i suffer none of the stress that some people on here must be having. Because i am in control

Peter

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Pica; Dec 5th 2019 at 11:39 am. Reason: it's crap, why's he posting his emails?
Old Dec 5th 2019, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Bravo
Old Dec 5th 2019, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

They said they'd bring my new fridge today; so I unloaded the old one and took it outside.

haha, the joke's on me again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.