British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Deliveries....letting off steam, here. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/deliveries-letting-off-steam-here-928300/)

Diddion Oct 4th 2019 2:43 pm

Deliveries....letting off steam, here.

dpd........Two deliveries, one of which has been returned to the UK because it ‘was not possible to deliver ‘. I was not informed, it was the seller who told me. A second, today. I remained at home for the delivery slot, and since then have also been told, effectively, that we do not exist. I am astonished and dismayed at what seems to me to be monumental incompetence. They have one job to do, so why don’t they do it properly?

liveaboard Oct 4th 2019 6:04 pm

Re: Deliveries....letting off steam, here.

delivery contracts are given to the cheapest courier company [ie GLS]; they pay their drivers so little that they can't be bothered.
Other companies that charge a little more do deliver; DHL. MRW, fed ex, and others.
I use my phone number [prefixed by the PT standard "TM"] as the second address line; this has helped a lot.
But when I need delivery from the UK, I have it sent to Direct transport, and then pick it up from them myself.
Direct transport is not close to where I live; but I find it less troublesome to do it that way.
UK deliveries usually end up in the black hole known as GLS,.

dingg Oct 4th 2019 6:15 pm

We are going through the same dilemma with SEUR
told they attempted delivery on one day when we were in all day, no card left no ring on the bell
Absolute b/s

Now we await a refund from amazon.

UPS have been perfect so far with no issues and pleasant personnel.
Gls and seur should be out of business due to their performance thus far....

GeniB Oct 5th 2019 10:53 pm

Don't blame you for letting off steam Diddion..I have written about this subject often enough on here.Just when you think you have it sorted it falls apart again.
Last week DHL sent a message to say they would be delivering a rose bush I had ordered in the UK.. Gave the date ,(but of course no time ) I moved the date as I knew we would be away . My OH got a dose of food poisoning , so we had to delay our trip... and yes DHL decided to deliver on that day .rather than the one agreed.I got my rose bush.However I had also been expecting my passport... now for some reason DHL could not give me a date for delivery for that..I was assured it wasn't on the van even though I had had a message on my phone to say it was on its way . We duly went away the following day ..I got four phone calls whilst in our hotel in Lisbon. No 1, I had been right there was another delivery for me on the van.the guy would bring it over at 8pm . No 2...He was outside the house but noone was in. ( yes they were ..my D but she probable had her headphones on and didn't hear the bell.) No 3... Sorry but looking in the van he found he didn't have the delivery after all. which was strange as it was on his list ? What ?. Phone call no 4 came the following morning whilst we were eating breakfast. Found the parcel and it would be delivered that afternoon. Didn't really want to have to say were were away, but forced to as D would not be at home and we would be on our way home... DHL driver arranged to meet us at the house... Got my passport which was a huge relief..Its always a gamble

Diddion Oct 14th 2019 7:33 am

Still haven’t succeeded in laying my hands on either package, despite phone calls to and promises from the carrier to deliver to a local pickup shop. I hope dpd is never tasked by the Portuguese NHS to carry out organ deliveries. Just imagine the condition of the package on arrival.....

Lelandy Oct 15th 2019 9:11 am

I ordered four items from vidaxl at the same time, they all came via SEUR, four separate deliveries over four consecutive days, they will go bust with that business model.

Diddion Oct 15th 2019 9:20 am

Unfortunately I am too far from the Algarve to use Direct Transport, Liveaboard, but would be keen to know of any similar carriers for mid Portugal. And a good suggestion for line 2 - I will adopt that. And, Lelandy, at least your packages did arrive. Which brings me to......

Guess what?

dpd now say that, so far, they have now lost one of the two packages. Outstanding.

peterfc Oct 15th 2019 9:42 am

Knowing how bad deliveries are by some companies to Portugal i always ask the shipper if i can arrange the shipping. If they say NO i buy from a company who will let me arrange the shipping.
I Always use UPS via Parcel2go in over 4 years i have not had a late or lost parcel. I always have my parcels delivered to a Cafe where i live. The UPS driver speaks good English and phones me to say he has dropped it at the Cafe.
When i want multiple items i get them sent to a family member who put everything in one parcel.

If this POST has pointed out the various companies use the cheapest courier they can find find another way to get your parcels delivered.

I had a 21kilo machine delivered for £25.20 delivered yesterday i got the call and went to collect my parcel.

Peter

Diddion Oct 15th 2019 9:45 am

Thanks, Peter. Good advice for next time.

Diddion Oct 15th 2019 11:17 am

Thanks, Peter. Good advice for next time.

liveaboard Nov 7th 2019 1:14 pm

I just ordered some car parts from auto-doc PT; which is actually German. They usually send DHL.
But I just got the order confirmation and they've used GLS!!

[shock, horror]

I should have paid E40 more and bought from the local shop...

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Diddion Nov 7th 2019 4:19 pm

Well, in the end, I had a (please note the capitalisation) Result.

Both packages actually arrived! One of them I had asked to be redelivered to the Parcelshop at Ferreira do Zezere. That is the one that was formally lost. A few days later, both of them turned up on my door, and the redirection sticker to the Parcelshop had, in a piece of predictable insanity, been placed next to the original address, which was much clearer, so that both addresses were on the package. As I say, Result.

The next Parcel Event was quite amusing. Also, sadly, despached by dpd, the package was safely delivered by the driver (by the way, I find the drivers themselves to be consistently pleasant and helpful people). The following day I received an email from dpd saying that the package could not be delivered because my address could not be found. I asked them to deliver to the Intermarche, as before, in the hope that they might be able to conjure up a duplicate from thin air. Thin air, in fact, is where a proportion of deliveries must end up, so I am sure it is fully stocked by now).

This, ladies and gentlemen, is playing havoc with my internet habit.

liveaboard Nov 15th 2019 5:40 pm

GLS did deliver this one; autodoc is a major customer, I wonder if they try harder for big clients?

Diddion Nov 15th 2019 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 12764422)
GLS did deliver this one; autodoc is a major customer, I wonder if they try harder for big clients?

Possibly. My guess is they try about 10 times harder. However this doesn’t alter the fact that 10 x 0 still = 0

toots sweet Nov 16th 2019 10:15 am

Got a delivery by Seur yesterday. Correct day as per tracking and even got a phone call to make sure he was on the correct road. When we first came here there was no road sign nor was our address on google maps. We now have a small road sign but only on one side of the road(not good if you are travelling in the other direction but ... as least we now have one.) Husband contacted google to put road on google maps and we are now there in black and white. Funny how Portuguese roads peter out and turn into another one with an entirely different name when it is in fact the same road!