Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Decent Lump Wood Charcoal

Decent Lump Wood Charcoal

Old Jun 4th 2019, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decent Lump Wood Charcoal

Does anyone know where to find decent Lump Wood Charcoal for the BBQ, preferably near Tavira or even Faro or Ayamonte? The stuff from the supermarkets is abysmal.... more like charcoal chipping and dust than anything else.... and please don't suggest burning logs instead.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 8:40 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent Lump Wood Charcoal

You are right, we have bought ours from local wood suppliers, , road side orange stands anywhere but the supermarkets..
Just look for the large bags, we pay 10euros and usually lasts all summer.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Been here for 8 years & still haven't found anything like the quality I got used to in Africa & have now resorted to using apple or oak wood but even that isn't half as good as sickle bush or mopani or similar.......................... I doubt you'll find good charcoal or briquettes here.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
You are right, we have bought ours from local wood suppliers, , road side orange stands anywhere but the supermarkets..
Just look for the large bags, we pay 10euros and usually lasts all summer.
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Been here for 8 years & still haven't found anything like the quality I got used to in Africa & have now resorted to using apple or oak wood but even that isn't half as good as sickle bush or mopani or similar.......................... I doubt you'll find good charcoal or briquettes here.
Anything has to be better than the supermarket shards and dust!
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Anything has to be better than the supermarket shards and dust!
The best I've found has been garden centres etc & marked 'carvalho' which means oak & even that isn't up to much at all but I reckon it's the best option if you're determined not to use proper wood.

As a matter of interest, why are you so against wood?

Old Jun 5th 2019, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm not against wood and I do use it in the pizza oven but wood does take a lot longer. I'd like the option to do both.

It's really annoying because I have an excellent supplier of charcoal here in the UK.... a country which seems to have BBQs less than 3 months of the year...
Old Jun 5th 2019, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not against wood and I do use it in the pizza oven but wood does take a lot longer. I'd like the option to do both.

It's really annoying because I have an excellent supplier of charcoal here in the UK.... a country which seems to have BBQs less than 3 months of the year...
I agree wood is more time consuming but it appears to be the only real solution here.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

I have emailed my UK supplier to see if they will deliver to Portugal.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:22 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Have to disagree, the charcoal I buy locally is far superior to anything in the UK.
burns very hot , lights easily and lasts ages.
I have a mini BBQ , cost 99e but certainly worth it, for sreaks and fish and a larger one conventional if we are cooking for groups.. .
You just have to shop around for the good stuff..
Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:24 am
EMR
Banned

Have to disagree, the charcoal I buy locally is far superior to anything in the UK.
burns very hot , lights easily and lasts ages.
I have a mini BBQ , cost 99e but certainly worth it, for sreaks and fish and a larger one conventional if we are cooking for groups.. .
You just have to shop around for the good stuff..
The fish restaurants use it by the bag full, they must know what they are doing.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

I will definitely give it a try first. I don't particularly want to be importing charcoal - that would be a last resort.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I will definitely give it a try first. I don't particularly want to be importing charcoal - that would be a last resort.
A guy made charcoal just down the road from me - he had 4 big earth-covered kilns..... but I haven't seen him in the last year and the kilns seem unused

However, good charcoal is available - and a necessity for grilling sardines (you've just hit peak season!) So when you smell that familiar smell, just ask your Portuguese neighbours where they got their carvão
Old Jun 5th 2019, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

The main charcoal manufacturers certainly for all the restaurants of the central and the eastern Algarve are on the Tavira road between Santa Catarina and Sao Bras de Alportel. - easy to spot from the smoke ! Why not investigate and buy direct
Old Jun 6th 2019, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm going to investigate as soon as I'm there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.