Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

December Lock-Down

December Lock-Down

Old Nov 7th 2020, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: December Lock-Down

hi
So this is good news for me and maybe others as well, as there did seem to be a panic to get licences changed before end of the year.
I presume you must have APPLIED for an exchange within the 90 days, not necessarily having received the actual Portuguese licence?

So in my case for example if I only want to be in Portugal until say mid 20th March, my UK driving licence would still cover me to drive a hire car in Portugal, and on return to UK I would still have my UK licence to drive there......................but on any future return to Portugal, say October 2021, then as a resident of Portugal, my UK licence would NOT be valid to drive in Portugal, and would need exchanging before I could drive.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
hi
So this is good news for me and maybe others as well, as there did seem to be a panic to get licences changed before end of the year.
I presume you must have APPLIED for an exchange within the 90 days, not necessarily having received the actual Portuguese licence?

So in my case for example if I only want to be in Portugal until say mid 20th March, my UK driving licence would still cover me to drive a hire car in Portugal, and on return to UK I would still have my UK licence to drive there......................but on any future return to Portugal, say October 2021, then as a resident of Portugal, my UK licence would NOT be valid to drive in Portugal, and would need exchanging before I could drive.
Yes.
There is one fly in the ointment though with what you have described. If you register residency before 31/12/20 to obtain protected rights under the withdrawal agreement those right are only protected if you spend at least 6 months in every year in Portugal. March to October is 7 months so you will have lost your protected residency.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate all you say Bomber, but one question then arises in my mind..............as a resident of Portugal, how will they know when I go in or out of Portugal.
Are there checks/records at points of entry for EU residents ?
Old Nov 7th 2020, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

All airlines, ferry companies, and train operators crossing the Schengen external borders are legally obliged to send details of every passenger and their passport number to the countries of departure and entry. That information is logged on the Schengen Information System and is accessible to the immigration authorities of every Schengen state.
I know of someone who is a resident and when he went to get his SEF permanent resident's certificate they told him the date he left Portugal and the date he returned (having been longer than 6 months). It was only due to the reason for his prolonged absence (there are a couple of exemptions to the 6 month rule) that they didn't make him go back and start it all again. It wouldn't have been a problem for him as this was before the UK voted to leave the EU. For you it will be as you would have to re-apply under third country citizens rules.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; Nov 7th 2020 at 8:49 am.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, so in my case it would be....... say, leave Portugal as a resident and return to UK on 20th March 2021, no change of driving licence from UK, so can drive in UK with existing insurance with UK address and driving licence, and then return on 29th October or before, but on return put licence in for exchange immediately, but cannot drive a hire car in Portugal?
And the use of a hire car at the airport would be illegal as my UK driving licence would be invalid as a Portuguese resident?

If only I could find a reasonably cheapo insurance in the UK this would not be an issue, but my existing insurer Saga, told me in no uncertain terms, a while ago, that they would not insure me for a uk car in the UK as a non UK resident and non UK driving licence, end of story, despite having a house in the UK.
I have asked other companies about expat insurance in the UK and the cheapest quote I have seen is well over £1200, against current annual premium of £230,,,,,,
Ironically of course lots of non resident Brits with homes in both places with UK driving licences will still be able to insure a car in both countries without extra premiums charged. (AFAIK)
Old Nov 7th 2020, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
OK, so in my case it would be....... say, leave Portugal as a resident and return to UK on 20th March 2021, no change of driving licence from UK, so can drive in UK with existing insurance with UK address and driving licence, and then return on 29th October or before, but on return put licence in for exchange immediately, but cannot drive a hire car in Portugal?
And the use of a hire car at the airport would be illegal as my UK driving licence would be invalid as a Portuguese resident?
You're still missing the point, 20th March to 29th October is more than 6 months - you've now lost your Portuguese residency and only residents of Portugal get a Portuguese driving licence.
Being blunt, you need to read the Withdrawal Agreement and if you don't understand it check out everything the British Embassy in Portugal has posted on their facebook page. You need to ask yourself what is more important to you, Portuguese residency or saving money on your car insurance.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

29th was typo error.
The withdrawal agreement does not state how non resident Brit can extend the 90 day rule, by say 60 days.
I have asked the Brit Embassy the same question without any simple answer, it suggests links to Portuguese embassy and so on all without any result.
Tried a hundred times to get an appointment with both local and other sef offices and central sef , hence even contemplating becoming resident of Portugal.
Now waiting for any replies from emailing local and central SEF offices.
Seems to me in my particular situation that extending any future stay would be my best solution.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Options of extending the 90 day limit for third country citizens are available in Portugal under certain circumstances, details here.

https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/prorrogar-permanencia/
Old Nov 7th 2020, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Bomber.. Yes I had visited that page before, but I was just not sure how it referred to Brits post Brexit, in that we will not need a visa and therefore no visa to extend.
But in the event see that it mentions schengen area extension for `visa waiver`, which I now take to mean Brits. It was that I seeking some assurances on at SEF.
Well that looks as tho it would do the trick for me. Just need Health Insurance for all of the stay. But maybe UK and Portugal can agree on some sort of mutually beneficial Health agreement after a Trade deal with the EU is done.