Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

December Lock-Down

December Lock-Down

Old Oct 30th 2020, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default December Lock-Down

https://www.dn.pt/poder/rui-rio-escu...-12980083.html

The government is discussing today the possibility of a two week lock-down during the first half of December , in an effort to "Save Christmas" .
Old Oct 31st 2020, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: December Lock-Down

Johnson is seriously contemplating a Nationwide lockdown next week as models suggest 4,000 peopole could die each day if he doesn't. I think the dream is over unless I hop on a plane and come now, which I am seriously thinking of doing, but, is it worth risking getting Covid?
Old Oct 31st 2020, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Johnson is seriously contemplating a Nationwide lockdown next week as models suggest 4,000 peopole could die each day if he doesn't. I think the dream is over unless I hop on a plane and come now, which I am seriously thinking of doing, but, is it worth risking getting Covid?

You do appear to be putting blocks in the way of your decision, are you really sure you want this?

If you do just do it.

For us, we left our house up for sale and empty, threw as much as we could into the car including our little dog and left two years ago with only two weeks booked in an Airbnb. Best thing we did.

Eta our daughter who lived with us at the time also needed sorting out with a flat and to top it all fell pregnant and her bf deserted her so it wasn't easy for us at all

​​​

Last edited by dingg; Oct 31st 2020 at 9:15 am.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
You do appear to be putting blocks in the way of your decision, are you really sure you want this?

If you do just do it.

For us, we left our house up for sale and empty, threw as much as we could into the car and left two years ago with only two weeks booked in an Airbnb. Best thing we did.

​​​
Excellent advice dingg
Old Oct 31st 2020, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

If you do just do it.

For us, we left our house up for sale and empty, threw as much as we could into the car and left two years ago with only two weeks booked in an Airbnb. Best thing we did.

​​​
With all due respect, you didn't have covid to deal with and you had plenty of time to get residency. If we go into lockdown I won't be able to come.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
With all due respect, you didn't have covid to deal with and you had plenty of time to get residency. If we go into lockdown I won't be able to come.
It's easy to be honest, just go book a flight now.
Job done.
If you want to, that is....

Old Oct 31st 2020, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to be honest, just go book a flight now.
Job done.
If you want to, that is....
If I were going to do this now, in light of the comments on here I would do as follows:

Restrict the covid risk by choosing an initial destination in Portugal with relatively low covid incidence which at the same time has English fairly prevalent and a can-do local Camara - TAVIRA or LAGOS.

Book flight into Faro
Book an airbnb for one month from mid-November and then cut a deal with them for an extra two months as a short lease.

From what I have seen, there is NOT a lot of booking activity until late March and into April as visitors are cautious of where covid will be earlier than that. We are already booked to be there from Mid Feb onwards and are somewhat concerned (covid cases here are LOW) but will have to live with it.

Due to circumstances, there is PLENTY of "reasonable" (750+ pounds a month) accommodation in the area at this point from Mid-November onwards.

Doesn't have to be in centre of Tavira for example - there are buses in from Santa Luzia and Cabanas. N.B Both Santa Luzia and Cabanas will have their own Junta for the proof of residence. PLENTY of English spoken in this area.

We aren't doing it only because of the language and tax administration issues.

This is obviously just a short-term solution to a longer-term venture and gives you an IN. You could always extend in the Tavira/Lagos area for a month or so, before the season and season prices kick-in, to give yourself time to recce a final destination, likely in Central (Coimbra area or even Alentejo), though this too could be a lease until the ideal property is located.

IMHO, time is on your side as property prices THROUGHOUT EUROPE will be under pressure in 2021, aside from areas in Portugal where those on Golden Visas (mostly Chinese and Russians) are looking to buy-in.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 31st 2020 at 11:15 am.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

bons, I would strongly urge you and indeed any other UK national wishing to relocate to an EU state to do so before the transition period ends. It is very important to have the protection of the withdrawal agreement which means you have to be in Portugal and initiate residency before the end of the year.

I don't think people realise what losing EU freedom of movement really means in terms of rights and being able to relocate to an EU state with relative ease. It is going to be very different post Brexit. The UK is going to be a third country from 1 January 2021 which means that UK nationals will be treated exactly the same as, for example, US, Canadian, Australian and Russian nationals. Check out the criteria for nationals of these countries moving to Portugal and it will give you an idea of what you will be up against.

I would pack up and leave the UK now and head for the eastern Algarve as others have suggested. If you head inland slightly there are properties for sale/rent at reasonable prices - lots of village houses to renovate. We really like Castro Marim and Odeleite which are both within easy reach of the coast, VRS and Tavira etc.

Don't wait, you might regret it.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lou71
bons, I would strongly urge you and indeed any other UK national wishing to relocate to an EU state to do so before the transition period ends. It is very important to have the protection of the withdrawal agreement which means you have to be in Portugal and initiate residency before the end of the year.

I don't think people realise what losing EU freedom of movement really means in terms of rights and being able to relocate to an EU state with relative ease. It is going to be very different post Brexit. The UK is going to be a third country from 1 January 2021 which means that UK nationals will be treated exactly the same as, for example, US, Canadian, Australian and Russian nationals. Check out the criteria for nationals of these countries moving to Portugal and it will give you an idea of what you will be up against.

I would pack up and leave the UK now and head for the eastern Algarve as others have suggested. If you head inland slightly there are properties for sale/rent at reasonable prices - lots of village houses to renovate. We really like Castro Marim and Odeleite which are both within easy reach of the coast, VRS and Tavira etc.

Don't wait, you might regret it.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but we can't just pack up and stay as my husband has committments here for a few more months. I would love to drive south and stay there.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
If I were going to do this now, in light of the comments on here I would do as follows:

Restrict the covid risk by choosing an initial destination in Portugal with relatively low covid incidence which at the same time has English fairly prevalent and a can-do local Camara - TAVIRA or LAGOS.

Book flight into Faro
Book an airbnb for one month from mid-November and then cut a deal with them for an extra two months as a short lease.

From what I have seen, there is NOT a lot of booking activity until late March and into April as visitors are cautious of where covid will be earlier than that. We are already booked to be there from Mid Feb onwards and are somewhat concerned (covid cases here are LOW) but will have to live with it.

Due to circumstances, there is PLENTY of "reasonable" (750+ pounds a month) accommodation in the area at this point from Mid-November onwards.

Doesn't have to be in centre of Tavira for example - there are buses in from Santa Luzia and Cabanas. N.B Both Santa Luzia and Cabanas will have their own Junta for the proof of residence. PLENTY of English spoken in this area.

We aren't doing it only because of the language and tax administration issues.

This is obviously just a short-term solution to a longer-term venture and gives you an IN. You could always extend in the Tavira/Lagos area for a month or so, before the season and season prices kick-in, to give yourself time to recce a final destination, likely in Central (Coimbra area or even Alentejo), though this too could be a lease until the ideal property is located.

IMHO, time is on your side as property prices THROUGHOUT EUROPE will be under pressure in 2021, aside from areas in Portugal where those on Golden Visas (mostly Chinese and Russians) are looking to buy-in.
We are intending to rent until we find a property to buy. I'll have a look at those places.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

bons, a few months means the end of January/February which means you are going to miss the Brexit deadline by one month.

You could both come to Portugal now, rent a property, get your residency secured and then leave Portugal until the end of January when you husband can leave has job. As long as you both have the residency certificates from the town hall, you can go back to the UK and worry about all the other stuff (S1 etc) next year.

You would need to grit your teeth, find somewhere to rent and get over here asap.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lou71
bons, a few months means the end of January/February which means you are going to miss the Brexit deadline by one month.

You could both come to Portugal now, rent a property, get your residency secured and then leave Portugal until the end of January when you husband can leave has job. As long as you both have the residency certificates from the town hall, you can go back to the UK and worry about all the other stuff (S1 etc) next year.

You would need to grit your teeth, find somewhere to rent and get over here asap.
We are intending to come before the deadline, this Covid thing is just making it more complicated, especailly if Portugal goes into lockdown for the first two weeks of December We were going to come then so that quarantine would last over the Christmas holidays ready for him to complete the 3 month extension If England goes into lockdown, I don't know what we can do. I'm looking at flights over just for myself this week, I'm not looking forward to sorting everything out by myself though. We would have to hope that the family thing that allows you to bring a husband on a family visa after Brexit.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

If you bring someone in on a family visa, the resident person has to be able to show sufficient income to support the new émigré; his/her income is not taken into account.

That's just one hurdle I know of.
With the skyrocketing numbers in Portugal, I don't see how lockdown can be avoided. Hospitals are filling up fast, and then things will go downhill fast.
Politicians really don't want to do it, whoever does will likely get the boot next election. On the other hand, if they do nothing and a terrifying health crisis results, that will sink them too.

Remember that even when patients survive, it's a harrowing, painful, and VERY expensive disease. Many people are left partially disabled, and there are no numbers for that that I've ever seen.
All of these unknowns means the political + economic situations remain unpredictable too.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
If you bring someone in on a family visa, the resident person has to be able to show sufficient income to support the new émigré; his/her income is not taken into account.

That's just one hurdle I know of.
With the skyrocketing numbers in Portugal, I don't see how lockdown can be avoided. Hospitals are filling up fast, and then things will go downhill fast.
Politicians really don't want to do it, whoever does will likely get the boot next election. On the other hand, if they do nothing and a terrifying health crisis results, that will sink them too.

Remember that even when patients survive, it's a harrowing, painful, and VERY expensive disease. Many people are left partially disabled, and there are no numbers for that that I've ever seen.
All of these unknowns means the political + economic situations remain unpredictable too.
I didn't know that, that changes our plans.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons, I take it your husband can't get away from work for a few days to register in Portugal because of the quarantine situation on returning to the UK? Can he not explain his extraordinarily difficult situation at work and take a leave of absence?

Please don't take this the wrong way but no job on this planet would be worth my sacrificing my EU residency rights.

You could come over here yourself and try to obtain residency on his behalf as his wife. You would need to bring your original marriage certificate, his passport, copy of his latest tax return or P60 and any other supporting documentation you can think of. Obviously I don't know if they would accept it but in your situation I would pull out every stop and try absolutely everything to obtain residency.

Why don't you run your situation past a lawyer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.