Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

CTT Postal Issues

CTT Postal Issues

Old Mar 5th 2021, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice
Question CTT Postal Issues

Does anyone know of general postal issues, particularly in Algoz?

Old Mar 5th 2021, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CTT Postal Issues

My recent experience is that yes, there does seem to be some delay in receiving parcels via Amazon for example. They do turn up eventually.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Letters from the UK are also delayed, some of ours by a month. I expect it might be that there are not many planes coming in to the Algarve.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there certainly are - I don't know about Algoz but certainly in Tavira! We had 3 parcels posted to us in Tavira from the Setubal area last month. None of them arrived. The tracker showed them going round in the delivery van and then just left in the depot Friday night until Monday morning (unbelievably, no Saturday deliveries it seems). The Portuguese husband of the supplier who sent it got on the phone to CTT who told him that they tried to deliver it and it was now waiting for us at the post office. They hadn't bothered to notify us. The supplier sent two more - same thing. Her husband wrote on the parcels 'Please leave by the front door if no one is home'. This time we got a card saying they tried to deliver but yet again both went back to the post office. The time given on the card for the second two deliveries (we didn't get a card for the first) was a time when we knew that we had definitely been home. Its lockdown after all! No one called or knocked. I just don't understand the attitude - maybe it means they finish early if they don't bother to stop. Its truly outrageous.

I should add that our address is easy to find, clearly numbered and close to town!
Old Mar 7th 2021, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Thank you so much for the replies.

We have a PO Box (Apartado) within the Post Office for 20 years. Particularly in question are two parcels from Amazon.de (Germany) that had a delivery date of 1 March via CTT. It appears Amazon.de are now using CTT for deliveries. On-line notification says CTT cannot locate address ... their own office?!!! They also often send Algoz post to A de Pera so it goes round the houses so to speak befure some astute employee looks at the town and circles it.

I have never known Portugal to have Saturday deliveries ... well, they may to street addresses but not Post Office addresses.

I live in hope they find their offices tomorrow.

Again, thank you for responding and have a peaceful and safe Sunday.

Old Mar 7th 2021, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

In my area, CTT has been very reliable, if not always on time.
They often mark a parcel as "delivered" when it isn't, but then it comes within a day or two.
One just has to relax and go with the flow sometimes...
And my address is very not easy to find; in fact, it doesn't really exist. The road has no name and the house has no number.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hurray! My two Amazon parcels arrived today. They had a German return address with a CTT postal label/stamp saying "Para Amanha". They were also taped with Prime tape which I don't subscribe to. N'er mind, they are safely here. Also there was a "lost" item from Singapore!

Old Mar 10th 2021, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

A small parcel we sent to our granddaughter in the UK 10 weeks' ago has just arrived. It had a customs declaration on it and was posted at the Olhão post office. Is that a record?
Old Mar 31st 2021, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sort of on the subject, does anyone @liveaboard know where you can buy American style post boxes (that parcels can fit into) in the Algarve?

Thank you in advance.

Old Mar 31st 2021, 3:50 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
Sort of on the subject, does anyone @liveaboard know where you can buy American style post boxes (that parcels can fit into) in the Algarve?

Thank you in advance.
I would check with your postie first about that, for anything larger than will fit through the current slot he doesn't get given it in the first place, just the card to say the parcel itself can be collected from the post office. Don't think his little scooter is meant for lugging parcels about on.

Old Mar 31st 2021, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't see US oval top type postboxes, but plenty of different square ones at leroy merlin and the like.
BUT;
I was told postperson will only put the mail into the "genuine" CTT box you can but at post offices.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I haven't see US oval top type postboxes, but plenty of different square ones at leroy merlin and the like.
BUT;
I was told postperson will only put the mail into the "genuine" CTT box you can but at post offices.
That is interesting. The question is from a friend who lives on 58 hectares near the Arade Dam. He saw one (I believe brick built with pull down shoot) but owners (Dutch) are not in this country. He gets lots of parcels through Couriers ... not sure he thought about signatures. I suggested he build one. Thanks for answering.

Score76 Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by Sunseeker1st; Apr 1st 2021 at 7:23 am.