Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Any metal detectorists?

Any metal detectorists?

Old Oct 25th 2017, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any metal detectorists?

Is there anyone in the Figueiro Dos Vinhos area that owns a metal detector & would be willing to help someone find a few items that are buried/lost in the ashes of a burned house please?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any metal detectorists?

Good look finding what you’ve lost. Just a word of warning, apparently you need a license for a metal detector, someone got arrested recently for using one on a beach in the Algarve.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Good look finding what you’ve lost. Just a word of warning, apparently you need a license for a metal detector, someone got arrested recently for using one on a beach in the Algarve.
It's for a friend of mine who lost absolutely everything & is trying to find a few bits of family jewellery that must be in the ashes somewhere....... but point taken.... Thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

So sorry for them, good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny22
I have a small one from the USA,but was told it was illegal to own one in Portugal,so have never used it outside my garden...seems that was right..

This country has rich seams of silver,copper and even gold in certain area's.. maybe it stems from that
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Is there anyone in the Figueiro Dos Vinhos area that owns a metal detector & would be willing to help someone find a few items that are buried/lost in the ashes of a burned house please?

Love to help you mfesharne but we are too far away.. not sure my small model would be of any use either... Maybe if you ask the local geological /archeological society if they can help ?
Old Oct 27th 2017, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys but we're sorted out now......... and hope to try to find at least some of their items in the coming week or so.

Gotta say, I find the restrictions on these detectors a tad strange especially as the country has so much interesting history with regard to the Knights Templars & Peninsular wars etc.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 10:28 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys but we're sorted out now......... and hope to try to find at least some of their items in the coming week or so.

Gotta say, I find the restrictions on these detectors a tad strange especially as the country has so much interesting history with regard to the Knights Templars & Peninsular wars etc.
That's why there are the restrictions to stop the artifacts being dug up and sold.
It's a real problem in the UK .
Old Oct 28th 2017, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

It's not illegal to own one but you apparently should get a licence and I think there is maybe even then some restriction about using them on beaches.

edit: for anyone interested in getting one:

On the subject of law
http://www.prospectordemetal.com/t1-...tores-de-metal

Last edited by gedscottish; Oct 28th 2017 at 10:55 am.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree... So much history in fact ,going back beyond the Romans..Even the Archaeological Societies don't seem to be interested.. They showed Zero Interest in all Peter Daughtrey's research in regard to Silves for example . A friends neighbours house was allowed to be built over a neolithic site. There is evidence of modern villa's being built over the top of Roman villas' in pretty recent times.. Bizarre
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:32 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I agree... So much history in fact ,going back beyond the Romans..Even the Archaeological Societies don't seem to be interested.. They showed Zero Interest in all Peter Daughtrey's research in regard to Silves for example . A friends neighbours house was allowed to be built over a neolithic site. There is evidence of modern villa's being built over the top of Roman villas' in pretty recent times.. Bizarre
Same in the UK.
The archaeologists are given a very limited time and then the sites are built on.
The new crossrail in London was not diverted past archaeological finds during its construction.

One of the N125 roundabouts is unfinished due to the discovery of remains.
One of the first sites of human habitation in the Algarve was discovered during the construction of the new Portimao water treatment plant.
The owners of a villa near us had to ensure that Moorish remains were left in place and not built on.
It's now a feature in their garden.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

How's this for a piece of incredibly good luck......... My friend lost a tin box full of family jewellery in the fire & despite searching through the ashes of his house couldn't find it anywhere........... About a week ago I asked all my forum & FB friends if anyone nearby had a metal detector to see if we could find it that way & a local friend volunteered to come with his detector to try to help & we arranged to meet this morning.

Las night, my friend & his wife finally found their box of jewellery but in doing so, his wife managed to lose her wedding ring.

My metal detecting friend & I rocked up at the burned house & he managed to find the ring with the very first pass of the detector over the very first square foot of ground....... it literally took less than 5 minutes!

I really ought to start doing the lottery! lol
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:23 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

How's this for a piece of incredibly good luck......... My friend lost a tin box full of family jewellery in the fire & despite searching through the ashes of his house couldn't find it anywhere........... About a week ago I asked all my forum & FB friends if anyone nearby had a metal detector to see if we could find it that way & a local friend volunteered to come with his detector to try to help & we arranged to meet this morning.

Las night, my friend & his wife finally found their box of jewellery but in doing so, his wife managed to lose her wedding ring.

My metal detecting friend & I rocked up at the burned house & he managed to find the ring with the very first pass of the detector over the very first square foot of ground....... it literally took less than 5 minutes!

I really ought to start doing the lottery! lol
Good to hear they salvaged something from the past - and what a roller-coaster last night must have been for them. I hope that's the start of some good luck.....
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macliam
Good to hear they salvaged something from the past - and what a roller-coaster last night must have been for them. I hope that's the start of some good luck.....
I can just imagine what was said when they found the box & then lost the wedding ring!
Old Nov 1st 2017, 1:13 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

And nobody was arrested for illegal use of a metal detector

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.