Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Criminality Algarve

Criminality Algarve

Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminality Algarve

Originally Posted by Rosemary
There are a couple of reasons for the bars on the windows in Spain. One is down to the insurance companies who will not insure your house unless it has bars on the downstairs windows. Another is purely so that people can open their windows for fresh air without the worry of any one getting into the house.

I am surprised that it is not similar in Portugal.

Rosemary
I don't think they ever thought there was anything worth stealing

Plus there seems to be little culture of worrying about theft here. It is still very rare to be robbed,or attacked in your home (the last spate some yrs ago was from eastern european thugs) Modern windows and doors have safety locks that allow for air without access
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbie20
We do in fact have metal bars on our downstairs windows in Tavira, as indeed do some of our Portuguese neighbours. It is so we can leave the windows open without any worry of anybody getting in to steal our belongings or even worse our grandchild. I have seen a lot of them on the older Portuguese houses in the town of Tavira, very sensible.
Abduct your grandchild ? Why on earth would that happen?
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

robbie20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that supposed to be a joke ?
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:24 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I don't think they ever thought there was anything worth stealing

Plus there seems to be little culture of worrying about theft here. It is still very rare to be robbed,or attacked in your home (the last spate some yrs ago was from eastern european thugs) Modern windows and doors have safety locks that allow for air without access
Not just eastern Europeans.On a well known development in Albufeira the culprits were a group from the UK who dressed as holiday makers used to wander around looking for easy targets, open doors and windows, phones, laptops cash etc.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
Not just eastern Europeans.On a well known development in Albufeira the culprits were a group from the UK who dressed as holiday makers used to wander around looking for easy targets, open doors and windows, phones, laptops cash etc.
Well thats Albufeira. A totally different story
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is that supposed to be a joke ?
Were you replying to my post? or the one before ?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

I was replying to your post, where you put, "Abduct your grandchild, why on earth would that happen."
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I was replying to your post, where you put, "Abduct your grandchild, why on earth would that happen."
Stats will show you that's it far more likely to happen in the UK rather than Portugal, bars on your windows in UK too?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

In Tavira, our bedrooms are at street level and we like to sleep with our windows open because it is as you are aware, very hot in the summer. In the UK our bedrooms are upstairs and it is not often warm enough to have windows open. This child is never, ever left alone either in the UK or Portugal. My son is a criminal solicitor, so we are well aware of the population of paedophiles in many countries. So no, in answer to your question, we do not need metal bars on upstairs windows in Yorkshire.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that an awful lot more children die in house fires than are abducted from their homes.
Wouldn't bars on windows hinder your escape if there was a fire?
That would worry me more.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

To Alice Caroline. As I already said, the bedrooms are on the ground floor, next to the front door, we also have 2 other doors on the same level, so no concerns at all about getting out of the house if there was a fire. So, you may be worried, but I am not.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Okaeee It would help a little if you explained why you thought that was a joke?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I'm sure that an awful lot more children die in house fires than are abducted from their homes.
Wouldn't bars on windows hinder your escape if there was a fire?
That would worry me more.
Exactly how I look at it . The stats on child abduction still have it at 99% family members -(ex-partners) Bars on windows wouldn't stop that happening.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've had it both ways; bars and no bars on windows.

I just wouldn't want to sleep with unguarded windows open, even in my ultra low crime rate area, even with my fuzzy canine alarm system.

On the other hand, window bars are far from perfect; I have ben robbed through the bars [the thief fished things out with a pole, which was left behind].

I installed a ventilation system on our house here, which effectively solves the problem, and more.
it has a heat exchanger so will heat up the fresh air in winter using the heat of the exhausted air. in summer it has a bypass to let cold air in. and it filters the air to lower allergens.

This machine also does a lot to keep the moisture levels down, and despite inadequate insulation we have no mold or damp odors even in winter [most houses here smell of mildew to me].

It's called "heat recovery ventilation", look it up. Although they are not part of Portuguese construction culture, you can order them [I ordered from Rolear]. They're common in the US and UK.

So now we have fresh air all the time, filtered, with minimum heat loss, and close the windows at night, but they can still be used to escape should that ever be necessary.

My sofa wouldn't fit through the door, but it did fit through the window.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Reply to Liveboard. That's all very interesting information you have provided. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.