Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Credit card for motorways

Credit card for motorways

Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit card for motorways

Can anybody tell me the secret of paying by credit card at an unmanned pay booth.
I played at a manned booth with my card with no problem last weekend, however at another pay station (Grandola) which is unmanned I could not get my card to work.
I connected to the central via the info button and explained the problem, tried again numerous times, even the card reader above for waggons all to no avail, finished up paying by cash, luckily I had just enough.
The person on the other end of the phone line was very helpful and apologetic.
It was as if it wasn't a common event,
I had the same problem in Nov. Last year at the same pay booth so the following day I went to my bank here in Spain and had it checked, no problem was found, so is there a secret to paying with a card I ask myself.
It would appear that the machines work by reading the magnetic strip on the back of the card, not the chip, because the chap on the phone told me to put my card in then pull it out quick as if it was reading the strip.
Anyone else had this problem?
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Dask is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit card for motorways

Can you get one of the electronic tags and connect that to a credit card?
Old Mar 7th 2019, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Can anybody tell me the secret of paying by credit card at an unmanned pay booth.
I played at a manned booth with my card with no problem last weekend, however at another pay station (Grandola) which is unmanned I could not get my card to work.
I connected to the central via the info button and explained the problem, tried again numerous times, even the card reader above for waggons all to no avail, finished up paying by cash, luckily I had just enough.
The person on the other end of the phone line was very helpful and apologetic.
It was as if it wasn't a common event,
I had the same problem in Nov. Last year at the same pay booth so the following day I went to my bank here in Spain and had it checked, no problem was found, so is there a secret to paying with a card I ask myself.
It would appear that the machines work by reading the magnetic strip on the back of the card, not the chip, because the chap on the phone told me to put my card in then pull it out quick as if it was reading the strip.
Anyone else had this problem?
Maybe it is because it is a Spanish Credit Card. Normal routine with a "foreign" card would be to register it at the border-crossing and use it for a month. register under the "Easy Toll" concept then the card is associated to the car registration.
Why not get a transponder from Via Verde so much easier.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dask
Can you get one of the electronic tags and connect that to a credit card?
I didn't think I was able to not being a resident in Portugal.
Also I do have my vehicle registered in Spain, but I could be a tourist passing through?
Old Mar 8th 2019, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Maybe it is because it is a Spanish Credit Card. Normal routine with a "foreign" card would be to register it at the border-crossing and use it for a month. register under the "Easy Toll" concept then the card is associated to the car registration.
Why not get a transponder from Via Verde so much easier.
The toll booth at Grandola is not in the system of Easy toll,so registering the card at the border is not an option, and on the system of east toll which I use quite often on the Algave sometimes, not always, the same card is rejected.
​​​​​​Confusing eh, perhaps the only way to go is invest in a Via T transponder,
How do I do that, can anybody help, us being in Spain with a Spanish reg.?