Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

COVID NOW in Algarve and Lisbon ?

COVID NOW in Algarve and Lisbon ?

Old Sep 30th 2020, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID NOW in Algarve and Lisbon ?

Originally Posted by riv
These things happen.

Tbh I would like to visit my place again ( Altura) and I need to try to sort a practical issue, but I am also wondering how to factor in the risk of contracting Covid, esp. with the added complications, were that to happen, of needing treatment in Algarve.
Hi at present I am sitting in the Eurotel with a view over the beach and to O pescador where I will be having a dink shortly before dining at A Chamine
The hotel car park is rammed full but mine is the only non Portuguese registered car here,In terms of guests difficult to say but reception indicated they have been vey busy with Portuguese and were surprised to see me a regular visitor
Just had a trip to Tavira and even the cars on the 125 appear to be socially distancing rather than huddling together in packs

Also I have been north to Caceres and Palencia in Spain then over to Sierra Estrella, Aveiro and Alcacer do Sal and found the majority of people beng sensible as were the hotels.
Again the roads have very light traffic

Old Sep 30th 2020, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Oh,
I had the impression you were resident mostly in Portugal
Usually end up doing half and half between the two places, but obviously not this year.

Old Sep 30th 2020, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Usually end up doing half and half between the two places, but obviously not this year.
Doubt it next year as well. Even without Covid-19 new travel restrictions kick in, 90 days in any 180

Old Oct 1st 2020, 8:27 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

'rammed full ' midweek in autumn ?? sounds odd.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Doubt it next year as well. Even without Covid-19 new travel restrictions kick in, 90 days in any 180
Didn't know about that, is that a Portugal decision or a consequence of the B word?
Old Oct 1st 2020, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Didn't know about that, is that a Portugal decision or a consequence of the B word?
Consequence of the B..word
Old Oct 1st 2020, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
'rammed full ' midweek in autumn ?? sounds odd.
Yes rammed or crammed whichever you like
All the pedestrian area outside the hotel front door taken up with cars as well as all marked parking full I took the last marked space.
However this morning there were two French cars visable whilst last night the waste ground opposite had a couple of dozen cars on it but where they were staying I do not know.
The receptionist said they had been very busy after the lockdown was liftedbut with Portugese.
I normally visit in December and January and have been doing so for over 30 years so have no knowledge of occupancy at this time of year
O pescadore was quiet without the lovable sarcastic Francisco.However most of the restaurants on the road down to the sea were closed, also there were only about half a dozen campervans in town.
A Chamine had all the outside tables occupied with diners whereas later in the year it has only been the brave smokers, the outer dinning area was full but reasonably spaced, I did not see into the inner area which probably had spare capacity as I was given a choice to sit in there.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Oct 1st 2020 at 3:26 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

https://www.sulinformacao.pt/mapa-de...19-no-algarve/

Interactive Map with cases by zone.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I see some facebook posts quoting statistic numbers, and concluding; "You do the math!"
As if the math was that simple; there's an entire scientific specialty called statistics.

New cases per day are the most used metric because the numbers are dramatic. Daily positive tests in Portugal are triple what they were a few weeks ago.
But those numbers are dependent on test numbers and type, which has changed a lot over time.

Deaths per day and in total is the next favorite, and in the same time frame deaths per day have hardly changed, most days covid deaths in Portugal are in single digits.
but again those numbers depend on variables; in most cases, there is more than 1 cause of death. Is that a heart attack, or a covid heart attack? also, treatment has improved a lot so death rates are happily way down.
The death rate doesn't take into account people that are disabled due to the virus, but still live. just because the death rate is low, that doesn't mean things are ok.

For tracking the epidemic over time, I like the hospitalization numbers as a better metric.
Criteria for hospital admission is probably more consistent, and counts cases at a certain central [dare we say, average] point in the disease, instead of measuring one or the other extreme [infection or death].

Total hospitalizations for covid in Portugal have more or less doubled in the last 6 weeks, and the covid ICU rate has as well.
The totals are still quite low; maybe they'll stay that way.
Maybe they won't.

I say be as careful as you can. Some people have to work, some have to be in public spaces.
Other people have the possibility to stay home and not be another possible patient, carrier, or spreader.

It's not over yet. Don't be complacent.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 10:59 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I think what you say makes a lot of sense.

People ( esp young people ) say ' it doesn't matter that much if young people contract Covid, as their symptoms are usually not that bad, many are even asymptomatic '........ but that is to ignore how much is simply UN known about the long term effects for anyone contracting the virus.

I know Malaria is caused by a parasite, not a virus. However, there may be some analogy to be drawn in the fact that people who have contracted malaria can recover from it, either without or with the various treatments which are available.................but then years later ( even long after they have moved away from malarial zones ) it can come back, having somehow hidden itself away in the liver or wherever....................Is it possible that the Covid virus might do something similar in a percentage of patients yet to be ascertained, after much more experience world wide ??

This is what worries me. I realize a balance has to be made between disruption to one's ( and others' ) lives by taking avoiding measures, and the harm of isolating at home with little or no going out.............

No easy answers
Old Oct 5th 2020, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I see some facebook posts quoting statistic numbers, and concluding;
"You do the math!".
I am OK at Mathematics or even maths the correct English shortened form.

But math I haven't got a clue about, How are you supposed to do something with a single number?
Old Oct 11th 2020, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of people heading to the coast with surfboards these days; I guess they heard about the huge second wave.

Really, the surge here in Portugal is getting alarming.
At least the tourist season is over; but it's going crazy in the cities.
Stock in your necessities, mask up, and hold on folks.