Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 in Portugal

COVID-19 in Portugal

Old May 1st 2020, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 in Portugal

Happy State of Calamity everyone!
Old May 1st 2020, 1:33 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Happy State of Calamity everyone!
And who'd have thought that phrase would be a relief to anybody?
Old May 1st 2020, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
And who'd have thought that phrase would be a relief to anybody?
Only the Portuguese could come up with a phrase like that.
Old May 1st 2020, 1:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Only the Portuguese could come up with a phrase like that.
It seems the wrong way round to me - I think of a calamity as worse than an emergency.
Old May 1st 2020, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

My sister-in-law expressed the same opinion this morning. I thought it must be a mistake in translation into English but when I checked my dictionaries, I concluded that they meant calamity.
Old May 1st 2020, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
as I understand it the masks aren’t to protect you from inhaling the virus...they are to stop you from spreading it.
I wear anti dust masks at work and there are different types. A surgeon will wear a mask so the patient will not receive a contaminating from the surgeon. Such masks get wet very quickly from expiration and if worn in public the moist mask would reduce the protection level to covid 19 to the person using the mask. The second type has a rubber diaphragm which opens when breathing out (thus spreading the virus to others) but keeps the mask dry and protects the user for longer..
Old May 2nd 2020, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
If you were a hairdresser / barber / bus driver / checkout operator dealing with perhaps a hundred or more different individuals each week, would you not much rather they were ALL wearing facemasks ( and yes, the better the quality / effectiveness of the mask the better ) rather than none or just a few ? Such individuals are massively at risk, perhaps not to quite the same extent as staff in hospitals, but much more at risk than those of us who are not obliged to be in close proximity to huge numbers of persons each week.

And would you not rather that there was a law which required such mask wearing, rather than it being something which would then be for the barber / hairdresser to request / require ?

The evidence of the numbers from countries where facemask wearing has been imposed is highly probative of the fact that they do make a difference in reducing spread and deaths.

Combined with common sense : you do not need to be a trained scientist to be able to comprehend that if the virus is spread via people's breathing out through mouth and nose then those viral particles will travel less far if impeded by a mask than they will if not so impeded. And that's even before anyone starts sneezing.
Are you having a "go" at me
Because, due to your post above it seems you are !