Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 in Portugal

COVID-19 in Portugal

Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: COVID-19 in Portugal

I can understand the concern about this information but please remember this.

Finding out that COVID-19 is not reported in your local area does not mean that is unlikely that you may contract the illness. Also with this information, the relaxation of approved guidelines is a dangerous recipe.
Again with no reported cases in your area does not rule out that carrier's of the virus ( with no symptoms ) may still be present.

Take care out there.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm wondering whether this lack of detailed geographical stats from any official source in Portugal is a strategic decision, given the number of infections which are already present but invisible in any population?

Being too specific might lull people into complacency through a false sense of security. Ramming home the message that everybody is at risk and getting as many as possible to change behaviour drastically and immediately is the way to go.

But maybe I'm over-thinking it and they're just lagging a bit on publishing the figures. I'm sure they must be available to the authorities, as far as those who've been tested is concerned.
I think your right Eric- It serves little purpose to say exactly where an outbreak is, or started, before hospitalisation because it would just cause even more alarm and maybe people would start to panic. Thus far if you don't know ,and follow all the guidelines, you can feel safer .. if only in your head. I had felt somewhat hopeful up to yesterday the we were making progress.. Today however we have jumped by another 2,000 cases with new cases added and new deaths .Its is not looking promising for a lifting of the Lock Down. by April 6th. We desperately needed rain and gods have just provided that.Now we need HOT sunshine
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you need a good 2 week cold snap to keep people inside and not come out for Easter
Old Apr 1st 2020, 1:36 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I think your right Eric- It serves little purpose to say exactly where an outbreak is, or started, before hospitalisation because it would just cause even more alarm and maybe people would start to panic. Thus far if you don't know ,and follow all the guidelines, you can feel safer .. if only in your head. I had felt somewhat hopeful up to yesterday the we were making progress.. Today however we have jumped by another 2,000 cases with new cases added and new deaths
You're quoting a post I subsequently went back on because I found a site publishing official figures by concelho anywhere there are 3 or more cases confirmed.

I'm not sure what your 2,000 figure relates to but it's completely at odds with the government's stats - they show 808 additional confirmed cases today (down from 1035 yesterday) and 6,371 additional suspected cases today (down from 7,880 yesterday) and 27 additional deaths (up from 20 yesterday).

Its is not looking promising for a lifting of the Lock Down. by April 6th. We desperately needed rain and gods have just provided that.Now we need HOT sunshine
No, it seems extremely unlikely that there would be any lifting of measures, given that the government is clearly stating that the month of April is the crucial one and that our peak won't occur until May.

I don't know where the hot sunshine comes in but if it's to do with that theory that was floating around about the virus not spreading in warm conditions, hasn't it already been debunked?

Last edited by Red Eric; Apr 1st 2020 at 1:43 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

No, it seems extremely unlikely that there would be any lifting of measures, given that the government is clearly stating that the month of April is the crucial one and that our peak won't occur until May.
Any truth in the rumours that the GNR are builing a permanent gate on the 25 Abril? ..... Vasco da Gama will be more problematical, they'd have to stop people speeding first!!
I don't know where the hot sunshine comes in but if it's to do with that theory that was floating around about the virus not spreading in warm conditions, hasn't it already been debunked?
I think people in Australia took issue with that idea......
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

This is also something I've been seeking out without any success.

I was using a site which looked useful but on its map all the cases in the north seem to have been assigned to Porto, which had me falsely reassured and subject to a rather rude awakening when a bit of googling a good few days after finding it revealed cases in my town . I'd wondered why it wasn't showing the Felgueiras cases separately - it seems that all those interned in the north are possibly currently being take to Porto , hence that being shown on the map as opposed to the municipality in which the patient was residing when diagnosed.

Interesting that map on the wiki page - there's more detail if you click on that and then on the author's research link at the bottom of the page. Some of it seems to have been painstakingly collated from newspaper articles but I can't locate any link other than that to municipality by municipality counts and surely it wouldn't be possible to do it by that method now with the numbers involved?
Correct .
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

You're quoting a post I subsequently went back on because I found a site publishing official figures by concelho anywhere there are 3 or more cases confirmed.

I'm not sure what your 2,000 figure relates to but it's completely at odds with the government's stats - they show 808 additional confirmed cases today (down from 1035 yesterday) and 6,371 additional suspected cases today (down from 7,880 yesterday) and 27 additional deaths (up from 20 yesterday).

I was a day or two behind on adding the 2,000...it was 'ball park' anyway as I find quite lot of conflicting stats floating around right now...We had just been fairly static for awhile there ,and then shot up to over 8,000 ..cases
The hot sunshine theory comes in because scientists have said the virus can't survive temps above 27degs... I don't think that has been disproved as yet .. has it? . Looking at the hotter countries around the world .. (altho they haven't escaped ), they seem to be doing better than the colder climate areas.. Maybe just wishful thinking ,but again scientists have said the virus thrives in cold .dry air...
The stats I have now are
9034 cases of which 8757 are active
783 are new cases
230 are serious/crtitical
209 deaths+ 22 new deaths ( not sure if they were included in that first figure )
68 totally recovered
I am still not sure if all these cases are ones that have been hospitalised ? or just conformed but staying in isolation ? The recovery rate seems incredibly slow .Two to three weeks minimum.

Last edited by GeniB; Apr 2nd 2020 at 4:40 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 7:52 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, those stats are much more like it. Completely consistent with the official stats, in fact

If you look at that link I've posted, they give the numbers for currently monitored cases and for hospitalised, with a separate figure for those in intensive care, amongst many other ways the data is sliced.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Easter lock-down even more strict , cannot leave your Concelho ... Great stop all the northerners heading to the Algarve for the break
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I was a day or two behind on adding the 2,000...it was 'ball park' anyway as I find quite lot of conflicting stats floating around right now...We had just been fairly static for awhile there ,and then shot up to over 8,000 ..cases
The hot sunshine theory comes in because scientists have said the virus can't survive temps above 27degs... I don't think that has been disproved as yet .. has it? . Looking at the hotter countries around the world .. (altho they haven't escaped ), they seem to be doing better than the colder climate areas.. Maybe just wishful thinking ,but again scientists have said the virus thrives in cold .dry air...
The stats I have now are
9034 cases of which 8757 are active
783 are new cases
230 are serious/crtitical
209 deaths+ 22 new deaths ( not sure if they were included in that first figure )
68 totally recovered
I am still not sure if all these cases are ones that have been hospitalised ? or just conformed but staying in isolation ? The recovery rate seems incredibly slow .Two to three weeks minimum.
The Myth busters are all available. If it can't survive 27 degrees, then all people would be in their greenhouse and even in Bangalore the temp drops below 27 during night.

Old Apr 3rd 2020, 12:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Easter lock-down even more strict , cannot leave your Concelho ... Great stop all the northerners heading to the Algarve for the break
Not too good for some places though - this will mean people in Ourique can't shop in Castro Verde or Odemira....in fact, anywhere other than Ourique, with its 2 supermarkets.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 1:06 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by macliam
Not too good for some places though - this will mean people in Ourique can't shop in Castro Verde or Odemira....in fact, anywhere other than Ourique, with its 2 supermarkets.
It is only for 5 days, Thursday 9th through to Monday 13th inclusive, so anybody wanting something not available in their concelho has until Wednesday to get it or must wait until the following Tuesday.

None of the airports will be operating on those days, either.

I think even without the extra legal restriction it would have been a very dubious endeavour to have attempted a pleasure trip from the north of the country to the Algarve.

Last edited by Red Eric; Apr 3rd 2020 at 1:09 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 4:04 pm
Resident Cynic

It is only for 5 days, Thursday 9th through to Monday 13th inclusive, so anybody wanting something not available in their concelho has until Wednesday to get it or must wait until the following Tuesday.

None of the airports will be operating on those days, either.

I think even without the extra legal restriction it would have been a very dubious endeavour to have attempted a pleasure trip from the north of the country to the Algarve.
Oh, but they'd try - and if not to the Algarve, to Costa Caparica or the Ria in Aveiro.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Yes a first class move, not 2 mtrs but 250 kilometrs
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 8:26 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by wellinever
Yes a first class move, not 2 mtrs but 250 kilometrs
As I understand it, there are people wanting to come (and with flights booked) from a lot further than that within the next few weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.