Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 in Portugal

COVID-19 in Portugal

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 4:25 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default COVID-19 in Portugal

In view of the sudden jump in COVID-19 fatalities in Portugal, I am tracking the course of the epidemic via the CSSE website (https://www.paypervids.com/coronavir...teractive-map/) which is a bit flaky and not necessarily up to date, via the Worldometer website (https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ntry/portugal/), which is better and via Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...ic_in_Portugal).

The latter gives a breakdown by municipality...... which is great, except they are unnamed! By cross-checking with other maps, it seems to suggest that, in the Algarve, Olhao is an island of safety (which seems odd to me in view of its proximity to the airport and large Franco-Italian community) and Albufeira has seen at least one death. I know there are clusters around Lisbon and in the North (notably Ovar). I am assuming that the deaths are noted in major hospital areas - Albufeira, Lisbon, Coimbra, etc.

However, I can't find any sourcde of data to back this map up, even from the DGS website (https://covid19.min-saude.pt/ponto-d...l-em-portugal/) or online news coverage.

Does anyone have any links that would provide the status broken down by municipality? I am particularly interested in the Baixo Alentejo and Olhao - as well as Sever de Vouga further north.

Let's be careful out there!

Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:03 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 in Portugal

I would be particularly interested to see how these numbers ( of Corona cases and Corona deaths ) compare, side by side, with deaths from all other causes.

As I have said elsewhere, I am not seeking to be a Corona Denier, and I am happy to follow science based advice, but I still have not seen any articles with actual numbers showing why this new virus is so much more of threat to health than is the traditional winter flu .

Perhaps it IS more of a threat ( though I have seen an article stating that the death outcome from Corona is one in a thousand ~ much the same as regular flu ) but is it SO much more of a threat that the world's economy has to be shut down ?

In the UK now there are hospitals closing down cancer treatments and endoscopy investigations in order to free up beds for Corona sufferers..............Is this proportionate ? Is it fair ?
Cancer has a much higher death rate than 1 in a thousand, and someone with a colonoscopy postponed may well die sooner than s / he would have had the colonoscopy taken place in time to cut out the cancer before it spread.

The numbers in the article linked below are, at minimum, interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ht-answer.html

Last edited by riv; Mar 24th 2020 at 9:07 am.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:17 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
I would be particularly interested to see how these numbers ( of Corona cases and Corona deaths ) compare, side by side, with deaths from all other causes.

As I have said elsewhere, I am not seeking to be a Corona Denier, and I am happy to follow science based advice, but I still have not seen any articles with actual numbers showing why this new virus is so much more of threat to health than is the traditional winter flu .

Perhaps it IS more of a threat ( though I have seen an article stating that the death outcome from Corona is one in a thousand ~ much the same as regular flu ) but is it SO much more of a threat that the world's economy has to be shut down ?

In the UK now there are hospitals closing down cancer treatments and endoscopy investigations in order to free up beds for Corona sufferers..............Is this proportionate ? Is it fair ?
Cancer has a much higher death rate than 1 in a thousand, and someone with a colonoscopy postponed may well die sooner than s / he would have had the colonoscopy taken place in time to cut out the cancer before it spread.

The numbers in the article linked below are, at minimum, interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ht-answer.html
Sorry, there's a thread for this and I've answered you there.

I explained the reason for my question - COVID-19 (coronavirus is a group name, not applicable to this) is spreading across Portugal and I would like to track it. Whether or not you consider it a threat is irrelevant to that purpose.

You may not be "seeking to be a Corona Denier", but you are playing their tune and casting doubt on the obvious.

Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:51 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
...via Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...ic_in_Portugal).

The latter gives a breakdown by municipality...... which is great, except they are unnamed! By cross-checking with other maps, it seems to suggest that, in the Algarve, Olhao is an island of safety (which seems odd to me in view of its proximity to the airport and large Franco-Italian community) and Albufeira has seen at least one death. I know there are clusters around Lisbon and in the North (notably Ovar). I am assuming that the deaths are noted in major hospital areas - Albufeira, Lisbon, Coimbra, etc.

However, I can't find any sourcde of data to back this map up, even from the DGS website (https://covid19.min-saude.pt/ponto-d...l-em-portugal/) or online news coverage.

Does anyone have any links that would provide the status broken down by municipality?
This is also something I've been seeking out without any success.

I was using a site which looked useful but on its map all the cases in the north seem to have been assigned to Porto, which had me falsely reassured and subject to a rather rude awakening when a bit of googling a good few days after finding it revealed cases in my town . I'd wondered why it wasn't showing the Felgueiras cases separately - it seems that all those interned in the north are possibly currently being take to Porto , hence that being shown on the map as opposed to the municipality in which the patient was residing when diagnosed.

Interesting that map on the wiki page - there's more detail if you click on that and then on the author's research link at the bottom of the page. Some of it seems to have been painstakingly collated from newspaper articles but I can't locate any link other than that to municipality by municipality counts and surely it wouldn't be possible to do it by that method now with the numbers involved?
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:57 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Red Eric
This is also something I've been seeking out without any success.

I was using a site which looked useful but on its map all the cases in the north seem to have been assigned to Porto, which had me falsely reassured and subject to a rather rude awakening when a bit of googling a good few days after finding it revealed cases in my town . I'd wondered why it wasn't showing the Felgueiras cases separately - it seems that all those interned in the north are possibly currently being take to Porto , hence that being shown on the map as opposed to the municipality in which the patient was residing when diagnosed.

Interesting that map on the wiki page - there's more detail if you click on that and then on the author's research link at the bottom of the page. Some of it seems to have been painstakingly collated from newspaper articles but I can't locate any link other than that to municipality by municipality counts and surely it wouldn't be possible to do it by that method now with the numbers involved?
Yes, the Wiki map is "suspect" because the deaths appear to be in places I would expect victims to be hospitalized.(Lisbon, Coimbra, Albufeira for the western Algarve.....) which may be a true record, but isn't very helpful. the worst thing is the lack of labelling.... I think the "island of health" in central Algarve is Olhao, but only from comparison with other maps.

However, it's a bloody sight better than here in the UK, where I can't even see how many cases are in Suffolk, let alone any breakdowns!

Keep looking.... and keep well.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Wiki map is "suspect" because the deaths appear to be in places I would expect victims to be hospitalized.(Lisbon, Coimbra, Albufeira for the western Algarve.....) which may be a true record, but isn't very helpful. the worst thing is the lack of labelling.... I think the "island of health" in central Algarve is Olhao, but only from comparison with other maps.

However, it's a bloody sight better than here in the UK, where I can't even see how many cases are in Suffolk, let alone any breakdowns!

Keep looking.... and keep well.
Up until yesterday our local Cheshire Live page had an "Enter Post Code" section to see how many in your particular area. That service today seems to have disappeared, perhaps they just can't keep up with it or not getting the information.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Back in UK now.........shambolic where I am. Small town East Anglia,,,,,as at yesterday, first day back, shelves empty of almost everything I wanted, NO TEA bags, NO BEER No porridge!!
People chatting away, no distancing. Streets empty from yesterday.
Seen more police in a day than in the last 5 years in total.
For UK stats just google coronavirus in the county you are in
For example in Suffolk see :

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/six-new-...folk-1-6577337
Old Mar 25th 2020, 8:02 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering whether this lack of detailed geographical stats from any official source in Portugal is a strategic decision, given the number of infections which are already present but invisible in any population?

Being too specific might lull people into complacency through a false sense of security. Ramming home the message that everybody is at risk and getting as many as possible to change behaviour drastically and immediately is the way to go.

But maybe I'm over-thinking it and they're just lagging a bit on publishing the figures. I'm sure they must be available to the authorities, as far as those who've been tested is concerned.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you are right Red, if you lived in a small village anywhere, and you found out that someone had been carted off during the night and held in Hospital there would be widespread local panic, the only reason people want to know is so they can either be relieved to know that its not near them, or to be able to get out , or demand to be tested......same applies everywhere, and country....
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:14 am
Polished expat

OK, I take back my earlier post. Finally located a link to stats by council as well as by region

Acompanhamento de casos por COVID-19
Old Mar 25th 2020, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this help?
COVID -19 – RELATÓRIO DE SITUAÇÃO DIÁRIO REGIÃO DO ALGARVE
I note it shows a case in Tavira and Villa Real de San Antonio which I hadn’t seen elsewhere.
Wonder if other regions have the same type of information/detail.

Last edited by Geronimal; Mar 25th 2020 at 11:55 am.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:10 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by wellinever
Back in UK now.........shambolic where I am. Small town East Anglia,,,,,as at yesterday, first day back, shelves empty of almost everything I wanted, NO TEA bags, NO BEER No porridge!!
People chatting away, no distancing. Streets empty from yesterday.
Seen more police in a day than in the last 5 years in total.
For UK stats just google coronavirus in the county you are in
For example in Suffolk see :

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/six-new-...folk-1-6577337
Cheers. Yes I've seen that, but it's piecemeal rather than a statistical base....i.e. cases confirmed, recovered, deaths, etc.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:13 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Red Eric
OK, I take back my earlier post. Finally located a link to stats by council as well as by region

Acompanhamento de casos por COVID-19
Cheers. That's useful.... but confusing. It doesn't seem to tie up with the wiki map at all (look at the Algarve)

I agree abut the tracking..... I'm not sure what it could achieve, but it gives me some sense of security when I'm remote from those I love.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:15 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Geronimal
Does this help?
COVID -19 – RELATÓRIO DE SITUAÇÃO DIÁRIO REGIÃO DO ALGARVE
I note it shows a case in Tavira and Villa Real de San Antonio which I hadn’t seen elsewhere.
Wonder if other regions have the same type of information/detail.
That's really useful...... now to look for one for the Alentejo!!
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I get more than enough information from the Facebook sites of "Safe Communities Portugal" and the British Embassy site "Brits in Portugal".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.