Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Could I live on 1000 euros a month

Could I live on 1000 euros a month

Old May 6th 2013, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Could I live on 1000 euros a month

Good post Peter until your true nature came out.

I live in the Algarve and the area I live in is not "little Britain".

Please try to keep you uninformed prejudices to yourself.
Old May 6th 2013, 9:59 am
Banned

longrangesniper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steppitoe
Good post Peter until your true nature came out.

I live in the Algarve and the area I live in is not "little Britain".

Please try to keep you uninformed prejudices to yourself.
Well said

Perhaps the most smug poster on this forum
Old May 6th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Peter - good for you
Don't keep knocking the South because it doesn't suit you.
If we played hands up who'd like to live in the Warm sunny South by the ocean / beach with endless choice from cheap - ( i actually pay less for a beer than you do) to Michelin star , where most people speak English and the Portuguese are just as friendly as where you live - i guess most people wouldn't choose living in the middle of nowhere, more extremes of weather and the choice of if you don't like whats here (fresh or otherwise ) drive a long way to get something else.
I'd guess most would choose the South - and with a few exceptions , Little Britain its not - mostly Portuguese - over 80% live here - i think the British expats are under 5% of the population.
You seem to base all of your midless predujice on a one day visit to the worst bit of Albufueira in the middle of August - basically you seem to be a total prat

Last edited by steve01; May 6th 2013 at 10:16 am.
Old May 6th 2013, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Because Peter the prat annoys me

House tax 30€ per year - when we house-hunted in the Coimbra / Tomar areas the only places as low as this were tiny falling down old farms - think swing a cat - regardless some old properties are currently very low but Portugal has stated that it intends to re-value all properties in line with current market values and re-asess annual rates
So if for example Peters property is worth 150k euros after the new valuation he will pay .5 - .7% of the value annualy depending on property type.

Electric low 35€ high 55€ per month - bizarre my charge for just the metre is 22euoros per month - hope you enjoy your 2 x 40watt lightbulbs
Water Low 5.47€ high 6.07€ per month - again my standing charge is 7euros before any usage - maybe you should wash more often
Internet 27.99 average per month inc calls to the UK " Free " - same deal for most of Portugal
Food about a 100€ because i only eat fresh food " no tins, or packages of any kind " - thats 3 euros a day for all meals / drinks- you must fill up on endless bullshit and drink your own urine.
Car fuel, ins and tax 50€ per month - don't get out much - do you, fancy a trip to the Algarve ?
A night out at the club we go to would be 4.80€ " that's 6 superbok @ 80 cents each " = lovely what about the rest of the world for the other 30 days/nights

Peters big night out - don't forget to turn off the lightbulb !

I am on my own (SURPRISE !) and i don't live in Little Britan in the south(good the further away the better).

Best of all i wnat for nothing (thats because you are soooooooo dull) and find it hard to spend money as it's so cheap here in Central Portual (and so far from anything, and you seem to be as mean as muck

Last edited by steve01; May 6th 2013 at 12:00 pm.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

It was not my intention to annoy Forum members buti did reply with hones aswers. Today i received my EDP bill 59.89€ and my PT bill 30.98€ everyhing was accureate.

Before i moved i got all low energy and LED light bulbs to keep costs down.

Also what's wrong with going out every Friday night and is 6 bottles of Beer not enough?

Most days in Gois at about 11am Brits meet for a coffee but if prices here are cheaper than you pay that's not my fault.

If choose not to live in the land of the all day breakfast thta's my choice. Sorry but that's the impression i got on my visits to the Algave.

The original poster asked for some ideas of cost's i gave mine based on fact sorry if that's not to your liking but aybe the original poster isn't bothered by your replies.

Peter" Dreams can come true "

Ps All about my house and where i go for a meal can be seen on my Blog
Old May 6th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter - i know you only meant to blow your own trumpet about how you can live on 2 apples 1/2 lager and a bit of stale bread for 4 pence a year.

But you even got that wrong
in 2 emails your beer bill has quadrupled - you also go out for meals - presumably you have to pay for them ?
Your electricty bill is higher than the highest one you quoted - and this is a cheap time of the year
As i said i actually pay less than you for beer, and probably coffee as well.

And as for drinking 6 beers everytime you go out - you sound exactly like every lager swilling all day breakfast munching slob of a brit i ever met.

enjoy your light bulb
Old May 6th 2013, 2:32 pm
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

Pleased to read that you are still happy in your shed Peter
Old May 6th 2013, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Peter, thank you for taking the trouble to post.
Old May 6th 2013, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve01
I'd guess most would choose the South - and with a few exceptions , Little Britain its not - mostly Portuguese - over 80% live here - i think the British expats are under 5% of the population.
You seem to base all of your midless predujice on a one day visit to the worst bit of Albufueira in the middle of August - basically you seem to be a total prat
Originally Posted by steve01
Because Peter the prat annoys me

I am on my own (SURPRISE !) and i don't live in Little Britan in the south(good the further away the better).
Nice remarks from someone who has been trying to escape the Algarve and return to UK for at least a year now

Will consider swap for UK rental
http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...uct=6528&cat=7

http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...&ppuser=155208
Old May 6th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

Given that the average salary in Portugal is less than €800 per month and that the minimum wage here in Portugal is less than €500 per month - and there are many not even earning that - then I guess the simple answer to your question is 'Yes'.
Cut your cloth accordingly as they say.
Old May 6th 2013, 7:48 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Nice remarks from someone who has been trying to escape the Algarve and return to UK for at least a year now

Will consider swap for UK rental
http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...uct=6528&cat=7

http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...&ppuser=155208
He doesn't live there,it's a second home
Old May 6th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Fred - i thought you lived in Spain / Gibralter, so i've no idea why you're posting on the Portugal forum,
i love Portugal and will probably stay here for the rest of my life.
Frankly the only reason i'd move is finding myself living next to obnoxious expats - already been there, done that in France.
thanks for your personal and vindictive comments.
house in the algarve was bought to live in - i love it, but my wife prefers the house we live in now so its for sale

Last edited by steve01; May 6th 2013 at 9:29 pm.
Old May 10th 2013, 7:18 am
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

I have come back from nearly 4 months in the Algarve.
I never cooked, preferring to eat out every night and buy a breakfast or brunch in the day. My average spend, living in this extravagant style was 26 euros a day and included a "sensible" amount of wine and beer.
My rent on a 2 bed apartment overlooking the beach was 350 euros all inclusive. Because I was in the centre of the village I didn't need a car. A bus ride to nearby Lagos was 1.60€
I'm fairly sure that if I reigned in somewhat, ( i.e.cooked for myself) I could easily live on 1000 euros a month and run a car and buy clothes etc.
I'm also confident that living outside the tourist areas would dramatically reduce the costs, just as Peter says.
I prefer the seaside though (except during the holiday season!!).
Old May 10th 2013, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Stuart, thanks for that. I'm curious as to why a house sitter would pay rent - I might want a house sitter myself one day.
Old May 10th 2013, 8:34 am
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Stuart, thanks for that. I'm curious as to why a house sitter would pay rent - I might want a house sitter myself one day.
Fairly simple reason really.

I had a house sit in Early January and was asked back in March to do the same again. The villa that I house sit in Luz is MASSIVE, but I don't pay anything for being there. Some sitters will contribute towards running costs but that's not the way I do it, and fortunately I have a good enough reputation whereby I can choose the very best places. ( i.e. Pools, Hot tubs, car supplied etc.)
Rather than fly home I decided to rent an apartment in between, and because the rental was so reasonable I decided to stay on a while too.

It's my plan to do the same again next year. I have 10 days house sitting in Ribamar in January and then will bus down to the Algarve and rent for the chilly UK winter months.
In the meantime I'm back in Faro for a month, mid June to mid July, then again in Gorjoes from Mid October to 5th December, with a dash of southern Ireland in-between.

Last edited by s5tuart; May 10th 2013 at 8:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.