British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Cost of new roof/floor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/cost-new-roof-floor-935605/)

charlottecou Nov 6th 2020 8:53 am

Cost of new roof/floor

Hello, I'm looking into getting an old house that needs total reconstruction. The area is 120m2. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much it would cost in renovations approx.

How much would I be looking at approximately for a roof and floor?

Thanks!

wellinever Nov 6th 2020 11:10 am

Re: Cost of new roof/floor

How long is a piece of string??
It so much depends what is there already and what you want to achieve, and probably where you are in Portugal......
my suggestion at the start would be to ask around for someone that does remodelling (you will probably need a project/licensed builder/engineer.)
Not a lot of help but really does depend what you have and what you want

coleio Nov 6th 2020 4:39 pm

Just got a quote for a new roof of 14k but obviously there as different types and materials and sizes and access - no project needed. Floors are even more choices as material, construction, access, size and whatever it is inside the place like partition walls standing on the floor etc. You do need to get someone to look to get any idea what is needed and the possible permutations, choices and costs.
You'd normally ask the agent to get a few quotes from local builders for possible work you may want done or, as most people seem to do, arrange for a builder to attend when you are seriously viewing the place to talk through issues directly, ie point at things with your finger, rather then try and remember stuff afterwards.

fergus Nov 6th 2020 8:10 pm

I am not sure whether the area you are buying makes a difference but I would be surprised if you did not need permission from the Camara for the project. We did up an old building. No structural changes, just internal modifications. The house was already a house and had a habitation licence, but once we started to make changes that was revoked (it seems). We eventually got a habitation licence to live in the very much improved house that had already had a habitation licence some eight years or maybe ten years later! Get professional advice and expect to use a architect. They may add 2-5% to the overall cost but they will earn their fee as in Portugal it is very much about 'knowing the right people' and knowing 'how to do things'. As an estrangero you may be messed about something awful by the Portuguese 'jobs worths'.

liveaboard Nov 8th 2020 1:31 pm

50,000 to 100,000 euros.

If it has a habitation license AND you don't make any structural changes or change the positions or sizes of doors / windows you don't need to do any paperwork.
A new roof will probably involve structural changes.

If you put a new floor in, I highly recommend putting underfloor hydronic heating tubes in it. That will add little to the cost, but a lot to the value.

atlasthemonk Nov 8th 2020 8:23 pm

[QUOTE=liveaboard;12932794]50,000 to 100,000 euros.
A new roof will probably involve structural changes.

Q Do you think black sealant on a graying cement tiled roof would be repairs or structural changes and why the massive differences in prices from 14ooo to( 50000 to 100000 ) other than size and scafolding height, and tile type ?

liveaboard Nov 8th 2020 8:52 pm

I thought we were talking about a rebuild with new floor and roof; if you can go on top with a tube of sealant, then you'll do the job for 5-100 euros [depends on how many tubes you need]

coleio Nov 9th 2020 3:30 pm

If the OP would divulge more information then it would be possible to give a more informed answer. Standard build on old Central Portugal houses is earth floor and local field stone walls with living (human) space on upper floor of wonky wood. To re do the floor at ground level is dig out, a bit of steel mesh and pump in concrete or do you want floor heating, flat screed n floor tiles, a 5 x 5 room I'd charge (depending on access, other work involved etc) 500E for concrete floor or 5000E for a posh, sealed n piped tile floor. It;s all a bit of a joke asking these type questions as no builder would even bother giving a price and just get pi**ed off with people wasting their time and not offering to pay for their time. travel or knoledge.

Pilotabroad Nov 17th 2020 8:54 am

Liveaboard and coleio have suitably answered and explained but as a further example I have a property that is 120sqm living space (60 up 60 down) total restoration excluding roof/windows/doors/all final fixings and I've had 3 quotes...
So as you can see it really is impossible to answer the cost of a roof or anything else. The price will be what you are willing to pay and what others are willing to do it for.