Cost of living??

Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of living??

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Actually when we were over at Christmas we had to pay for our leccy and it cost €54 for the two weeks we were there. But that was without playstations, pcs and plasma tvs
As far as I can tell, lighting, computers, TV's and most other gadgets don't consume much. It's stuff like electric heaters that are responsible for most of the bill. Your typical oil heater eats up 2,000 W every hour. A light bulb only eats up to 100W, a small TV - 45W. This means that you can have 20+ light bulbs or 40+ TV's switched on for the same price as just one oil heater.

One oil heater working round the clock consumes 48kW. That's roughly €6 if you are on my tariff.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Thanks for that, I won't be using oil heaters then.

Any idea how much underfloor heating uses per hour?

G
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Because the thermostat is so efficient, and you have high quality insulation under the cables, it's not on all the time you have it on, for example, I have mine set to be on 7 till 10 and 4 till 8 and have it on 6.5 with a defult of 1.5, so if the floor goes down below 5 it comes on to keep it warm so you're not heating it up from cold ever in the 5/6 months you have it on. This last week we've turned it down to 5.5 and so it's not on very much, just keeping the chill off.

The cost can be worked out from the following leaflet, but, of course, how much it's on depends on the outside temperature. I think mine is actually on about 10 mins in every hour once it's up to temperature as the cement holds a lot of heat and the thermostat shows a flashing symbol while it's actually on.

http://www.devi.co.uk/downloads/devi...heatUK2007.pdf
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Thanks for that, I have saved it to my Portugal folder!

G