Cost of living??

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

sun lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Cost of living??

Hello every one I am new to this site and will be looking to move from Greece to cental Portugal hopefully in the near future.
This has probably been asked in the past but I have not found it as yet so would like to ask the question anyway. What would the avarage monthly living costs be to live in central Portugal taking in account of no mortgage or rent to pay, so food, electricity, gas, car insurance, local tax, phone/internet etc. (What would be the bare minimum required to live on might be a better question.)

Any help would be appeciated.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:00 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cost of living??

Originally Posted by sun lover
Hello every one I am new to this site and will be looking to move from Greece to cental Portugal hopefully in the near future.
This has probably been asked in the past but I have not found it as yet so would like to ask the question anyway. What would the avarage monthly living costs be to live in central Portugal taking in account of no mortgage or rent to pay, so food, electricity, gas, car insurance, local tax, phone/internet etc. (What would be the bare minimum required to live on might be a better question.)

Any help would be appeciated.
Hi sun lover,

My experience, over the past two years, here.

€300/350 + food

Food/entertainment: A bit more, but not much, than Greece (comparing like for like 2yrs ago).

Petrol is expensive, and you need a car for most places in C. Portugal.

Hope this helps,
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:58 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tomarense
Hi sun lover,

€300/350 + food

Hope this helps,
Yeah, I would agree with that
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:10 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tomarense
Hi sun lover,

€300/350 + food

Food/entertainment: A bit more, but not much, than Greece (comparing like for like 2yrs ago).

Hope this helps,

Wow, now that price is comparable to Changmai Thailand.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Cost of living??

Yes cars are expensive, my wife was at the hospital in Faro for tests today and I wandered into the Skoda garage next door, the car I looked at was 29000 euros, the same car on the UK website is 16000 pounds so work that out at todays exchange rate.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sun lover
What would be the bare minimum required to live on might be a better question
€400-500 plus heating. My heating bill was €120 in January, but from May to the end of October it was 0.

If you really have to cut it to the bone, €300 should be enough to get by.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

We have had this discussion and those of us without mortgages reckon on 1000 per month.

This is taking internet, phone, electric, gas, shopping into account.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:42 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steppitoe
We have had this discussion .
Aint that the truth
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

We have had this discussion and those of us without mortgages reckon on 1000 per month.
That's in the Algarve, isn't it?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:58 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PubChampion
I would resemble that comment
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Yep Algarve, although we don´t go to Expat places or shop in English shops. We live fairly simply really but the utility bills are pretty high here.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

2 years ago I wrote it down for a year and found that I needed to put €400 a month aside for utilities, insurance, heating, car expeses etc.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

We live fairly simply really but the utility bills are pretty high here.
Sounds like you also budgeted for more than one person.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like you also budgeted for more than one person.
Just me during the week, two of us as the weekends. Most of the bills are the same regardless of how many of us are at home. Perhaps the water and gas are a little higher with two.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:37 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

All relative to area and size of family i suppose, our cost is possibly closer to 2000 euro´s a month, thats all in with two adults, 4 kids , 1 dog, 1 car, 1 mortgage, bills, in the Algarve etc........god , now i´m depressed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.