Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive car insurance - older car.

Comprehensive car insurance - older car.

Old Jun 13th 2018, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comprehensive car insurance - older car.

I thought that BE members might be interested to know that it is, indeed, possible to get insurance cover for an older car of sufficient value. I have a Jaguar XKR which I have valued at about 27,000 euros (but that might be a bit of an understatement). Initially, via afpop, I was offered third party only, but they came back to me and have offered comprehensive insurance to include damage, fire and theft to the Jaguar. The car itself is currently 13 years old, being first registered in 2005, and I am about to matriculate it in Portugal.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comprehensive car insurance - older car.

thats good to know , what was the cost if you don't mind saying , I may be looking for similar for my range rover 2007 4.2 s/c (no idea value in pt) but coming across in Oct , insurance due sept.

tia
Old Jun 14th 2018, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comprehensive car insurance - older car. Quote.

Quote no 1 cost is 292.42 euros for third party claim up to 7,290,000 euros including windscreen breakage, travel assistance, death or permanent disability of 15,000 euros and treatment expenses of 1500 euros.

The comprehensive quote is for third party claim up to 50,000,000 euros, plus fire, lightning, explosion, theft, burglary, impact colission (sic!) and overturning, social risks and malicious damage, natural perils and falling aircrafts (sic) The amount covered in each case is 27,900 euros. Also a replacement vehicle up to 1600cc, and all the other items as in quote no 1.

50% bonus is quoted (whatever that means) and 2% excess.

Don't forget the cost of annual tax for a vehicle with our 4.2 engines - it's pretty eye-watering, as it will be the cost applicable to a vehicle registered in Portugal on that date, not the date of manufacture or initial registration in the UK or elsewhere. If registered in Portugal in 2018, I will pay for my 2005 car the same circulation tax as a new 2018 car of the same capacity and emissions.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

so I reckoned the annual tax is more or less 700 euro?

third party ins 292

but what was the quote for fully comp? obviously more expensive but by how much?

uk rates on my car value at 10k

220 fully comp 520 road tax

looked into saga and they give you 6 month abroad cover so will most likely go with them in sept and revisit insurance once in portugal but good to get the ducks lined up in advance

cheers again
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, dingg, I forgot to put in the important information. Cost of this is 737 euros - about double my UK premium. So the total cost of having the car to look at, parked on the drive with no maintenance or fuel is about 1500 euros a year. Ouch.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks diddion

guess I'll be looking at something similar
Old Jun 17th 2018, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I’m assuming the car is RHD, so take into account that the market value will be half of a lhd if you ever come to sell it. However if you bit the bullet and bought an equilvent national car(bought here new in 2005) then road tax would be around 60€ Instead of 883€(2018 price) per year.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I am sure this is not a sensible investment! Trouble is, the particular features that I want make it hard, if not downright impossible, to source it in Portugal. When I bought it in the UK there were only two being nationally advertised with my required specifications.