Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Commercial property habitation licence?

Commercial property habitation licence?

Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ninmurai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commercial property habitation licence?

Hi folks, I have identified a renovated flat that I like and would possibly live in temporarily and soon after turn into a rental apartment.

I am doing whatever due diligence checks I can before I make an offer and saw in the "caderneta predial" that it is still registered as a "escritório e sanitários" (office with bathroom). The renovation works have already been completed, so does this require some extra licence to be able to use as a property to live in?

I read on some forums I could ask for a change of primary use, but wondered if changing it to "habitação" would be more difficult than office which potentially needs an extra licence which it may or may not have.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commercial property habitation licence?

Originally Posted by Ninmurai
Hi folks, I have identified a renovated flat that I like and would possibly live in temporarily and soon after turn into a rental apartment.

I am doing whatever due diligence checks I can before I make an offer and saw in the "caderneta predial" that it is still registered as a "escritório e sanitários" (office with bathroom). The renovation works have already been completed, so does this require some extra licence to be able to use as a property to live in?

I read on some forums I could ask for a change of primary use, but wondered if changing it to "habitação" would be more difficult than office which potentially needs an extra licence which it may or may not have.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Go to your local Camara and ask for the Building inspector.

Peter
Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

We renovated our place which had been a house for 50 years or more and still had to get a habitation licence when we had completed the work. It took a very long time and in the meantime we just lived in it, on the basis that it already had a licence and therefore, by modernising the internals, there was no good reason for the habitation licence to have even expired. That seemed to be common sense, but that is not necessarily how the camara sees it. We now have the licence and all is well, but do not assume that it is a formality, because it is not. And with a change of use from commercial to residence, I would expect there to be many hoops you will need to jump through. Be very careful and go and see the Camara yourself.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:36 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Go to your local Camara and ask for the Building inspector.
Peter
That's good advice from Peter, Ninmurai.
When I was looking to buy I was shown a fantastic conversion, inside budget, the works.
Trouble was when got half-way along I discovered that the BI had already told the seller a number of times he would oppose a change of status.
Save yourself some aggro with a quick visit.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Ninmurai is an unknown quantity at this point

sound advice folks - looks like I will be having a busy couple of hours practising broken 'Portunhol' with the local Building Inspector then. Thank you!