Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What docs for tax residency?

What docs for tax residency?

Old Mar 7th 2015, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default What docs for tax residency?

I have a tax number (NIF) but now need to register for tax residencia as I have been here for over 6 months.

I would think that the residencia certificate, passport, proof of PT address and my tax number would be required.

Also, I need an International Certificate of Residency.

Am I correct?
Old Mar 8th 2015, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: What docs for tax residency?

Ok. I get it now. Everyone is under the radar.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 7:19 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Ok. I get it now. Everyone is under the radar.
I'm most definitely not under the radar, I just didn't get what you were talking about.

To the best of my knowledge and memory, I never formally applied for "tax residency" - just started filing tax returns from the moment I was supposed to.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the same as Eric, but waiting to see if anyone knew better.
I believe that being a resident, you are normally a tax resident too. You just file your tax within the appropriate time window.
Or have it done for you.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

The reason I ask is that I found this Portugal Tax Code:
http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...EC_changes.pdf

It states this: Article 16

6 – Taxpayers who, although resident for tax purposes, particularly
under paragraph 1 b), have not in any of the previous five years been
taxed in IRS as such, shall be regarded as not having habitual
residence in Portuguese territory.

7 – A taxpayer who is regarded as a non-habitual resident acquires
the right to be taxed as such for a period of 10 consecutive years,
renewable, with the inclusion of this status in the register of
taxpayers of the Directorate-General of Taxes.

8 - The enjoyment of the right to be taxed as a non-habitual resident
in each year of the period referred to in preceding paragraph requires
that the taxpayer be considered resident for income tax purposes.

9 - A taxpayer who has not enjoyed the right in the preceding
paragraph in one or more years of the period referred to in paragraph
7 may resume the enjoyment of the same in any of the remaining
years of that period, provided that he is again considered resident for
income tax purposes.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

cedricp is an unknown quantity at this point

It just means that if you had bought or rented a property prior to Dec 31 of the year prior to your residency that you can be considered resident for tax purposes even if you have lived in Portugal for less than 183 days which is the primary clause (1a) that addresses residency.

This is really just to clarify tax residency where there are dual tax treaties in place.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't read that sort of thing, it rots your mind.

Just a few paragraphs and my head starts to hurt...