Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Right hand drive to left hand drive conversion.

Right hand drive to left hand drive conversion.

Old May 3rd 2014, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Train driver John is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right hand drive to left hand drive conversion.

We are now thinking of buying a right hand drive Land Rover Freelander in the Uk and once it's been matriculated in Portugal then have it converted to left hand drive. We noticed a couple of garages in our area that convert them, so we went and had a chat. Apparently they are the easiest car to convert, it takes just 4 hours. Has anyone done this? Would it be easy to find a garage in Portugal that could do the work? We could easily get it done just before we leave the UK but as we understand it you can't get the certificate of conformity required for matriculation for modified cars.
Alice.
Old May 3rd 2014, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right hand drive to left hand drive conversion.

Hi

The car when presented for test for matriculating has to conform to every detail of the Certificate of Conformity. If you had a conversion in the UK the car would then fail to comply with the current Certificate of Conformity.

When i did my car they spent so much time checking everything even to cleaning part of the chassis to check a number

Before you do anything ask at the IMTT before you spend a penny.

Get everything right and the matriculation process can be easy unless you are in the Algarve.

Peter " Dreams can come true "

Last edited by peterfc; May 3rd 2014 at 11:37 am.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You might like to look at the Army Surplus auctions etc. They sometimes have LHD models that I'm told are usually reasonably priced.
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:25 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that your " old " vehicle will be taxed as if it was new, so high CO2 etc will cost you in road tax.
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the warning Peter. From reading these forums we've learnt that all our paperwork will have to be exact. That's why we wouldn't consider converting it to LHD until after matriculation.

Mfesharne; we have seen a place in London that stocks a lot of LHDs, many being sold by returning expats. But we like the idea of having a RHD Freelander converted. That way we can own it and run it here for the required 12 months to avoid tax, then once it's matriculated it can become a LHD.

EMR; we have used the excellent link supplied by someone earlier to see how car tax is calculated….

http://impostosobreveiculos.info/tab...de-circulacao/

I was hoping someone would tell me they have done it this way so I'd know that it can be done.

Alice.
Old May 3rd 2014, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Train driver John
Thanks for the warning Peter. From reading these forums we've learnt that all our paperwork will have to be exact. That's why we wouldn't consider converting it to LHD until after matriculation.

Mfesharne; we have seen a place in London that stocks a lot of LHDs, many being sold by returning expats. But we like the idea of having a RHD Freelander converted. That way we can own it and run it here for the required 12 months to avoid tax, then once it's matriculated it can become a LHD.

EMR; we have used the excellent link supplied by someone earlier to see how car tax is calculated….

http://impostosobreveiculos.info/tab...de-circulacao/

I was hoping someone would tell me they have done it this way so I'd know that it can be done.

Alice.
In theory, this should work and as you only intend to have it done after marticulation. Is it the freelander mk 1 or 2? Of It's a mk 1 then forget it as they are pretty cheap here anyway and a Rhd one will probably be rotten with rust. I would be trying to hunts down someone who has already had it done with same car to make sure there are no airbag problems etc
Old May 4th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Was interested so had a quick google, what I found was mainly negative(botched conversions,it's for old model,expensive and lots of hassle)

Did find someone detailing what needs done and this sounds like way too much work and you will probably end up with a problem car:

To complete the task you need from LHD the following:
- steering rack
- wiper mechanism (RHD mechanism can be switched to the other side but you have to modify the mounts)
- heater matrix pipe (the one that connects the heather matrix to the exterior)
- brake pipes
- power steering hoses (the LHD hoses are longer by abt 44 cm than RHD ones, so if you know a shop that will apply the metal pipes from the end of the hose to a longer one will be cheaper)
You'll need about 1 - 3 (pending on the availability of the spares) weeks to complete the job but and it's not too difficult, but you'll have to find a good mechanic.
I had to do the following in order to make the change:
1. dismantle the dashboard and everething that goes underneath it, including the heather matrix, until you get to the firewall.
2. next you'll have to dismantle the mounts from all three pedals and steering column using a special miller (don't know it's exact name in english), in order not to drill holes in the firewall.
3. cut holes on the left side of the car, symetrical from the ones on the right.
3.1 you'll have to begin cutting the holes starting with the brakes because they are pre-stamped by the factory on the firewall, thus it will be much easier to align the rest of the pedals (actualy the brakes and throttle are on the same mount and the clutche is separate, but they are connected)
3.2 whe re-welding all the mounts do not use a welding machine with open flame but a CO2 welding machine, because the last one will only generate a small amount of heat only where it is needed and it will not overheat the entire surface, causing the firewall to modify it's architecture.
3.3 the steering column mount cannot be used entierly, but it has to be cut in two because it is specialy made to be mounted underneath the front window, so you'll not be able to use a small part of about 20 cm
4. mount the steeering rack and the pedals / pumps, hoses and pipes
5. heater matrix has to be modified: take the fan and move it on the othe side of the heater, and the pipe adapter for exterior air on the side where the fan used to be (remember to change the polarity of the wires that power the fan in order for the matrix to blow air inside, not outside)
6. for the electrical there are a few options you can try:
6.1 (the one i consider easiest) leave the fuse box on the right side and extend the wires from the instrument cluster, headlight / wiper switches, brake pump, wiper mechanism by about 1 meter (there are about 100 wires to be extended), then route the new wires on top of the ones thet already exist from right to left (disadvantages: glove box has to remain on the left side)
6.2 take out all the wires and isolation from them and find a way to route all the wires through the left side, but most probably youl have to extend many wires as well considering that the abs pump, a computer wich i don't know it's functionality, headlights are situated on the right side are also connected to the fuse box (disadvantages: considering al the front electrical has to be re-routed wire by wire and at the same time extended most probably you'll forget somenthing).

Last edited by gedscottish; May 4th 2014 at 8:00 am.
Old May 4th 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ged. We are still going through possablities.
The machanic we spoke to said it's the easiest car to switch from RHD to LHD and only takes 4 to 6 hours, so I'm guessing the time scale in your post is to source parts. If we did decide to do it this way we could buy the parts here in the UK and take them with us.
The machanic told us it takes him 4 hours for the Freelander Mk 1 and he charges £500. The Mk 2 takes upto 6 hours and he charges £800. That's including parts.
If we did decide to go this way we would get a Mk2.
We might have a day out in London soon and check out the large dealer in LHDs that we've seen there on the net.
I'm guessing there's no problem with matriculation a Uk reg car that has previously been registered in another country, as long as you have the cirtificate of conformity?
Alice.
Old May 4th 2014, 10:15 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, the Algarve is no dfferent when it comes to Matriculation, providing as you say you get everything right.
Unfortunately too many try to cut corners and end up paying the penalty.

Ref the conversion, I can just imagine the face of the GNR policeman looking at your matriculation details for a UK RHD vehicle and then at your converted LHD vehicle cought up in a check point ?
Hours of fun for everyone involved.

Last edited by EMR; May 4th 2014 at 10:18 am.
Old May 4th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Peter, the Algarve is no dfferent when it comes to Matriculation, providing as you say you get everything right.
Unfortunately too many try to cut corners and end up paying the penalty.

Ref the conversion, I can just imagine the face of the GNR policeman looking at your matriculation details for a UK RHD vehicle and then at your converted LHD vehicle cought up in a check point ?
Hours of fun for everyone involved.

Hi Emr

When i matriculated my car after doing the preperation and with that complete i left and arrived at the Customs at 9.06am and by 2.16pm my car was matriculated. The secret was i did my home work and got verything prepared. When i mention this other members disagree because it to them longer and that the Algarve customs don't make it easy. Averio customs helped with the forms when i couldn't answer a question.

Prepare correctly and it is easy.

I did it.

Peter " Dreams can come true "
Old May 4th 2014, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

EMR; would a GNR policeman really be asking to see matriculation details at a check point? I'd have thought having your PT plates, passport, driving licence, correct tax, insurance & MOT stamp in the window would be enough.
In the UK modifications are (should be) recorded with the DVLA and the log book, isn't there something similar in PT?
In fact the GOV.UK site doesn't seem to class changing from RHD to LHD as a modification that needs to be registered…
https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...on-certificate

I guessing no one on here has done this conversion.
Like I said, we are still just going through the options.
We'd like to bring a car over with us to transport our stuff and we know they cost a lot more there, otherwise we would just buy once we arrived.
Alice.
Old May 4th 2014, 7:25 pm
EMR
Banned

One thing you should assume in Portugal and that is do not assume anything.
So many fall foul of the regulations when life would be so much simpler by just going with the flow.
Old May 4th 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

We want to do everything by the book.
That's why we are looking into things so much :-)
Don't want to do anything that we later learn was a mistake.
Alice.
Old May 5th 2014, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I don't understand the need to go to the expense of a conversion.

We drove our locally matriculated rhd peugeot here for years with no problems.

When I was a youngster I also drove an LHD for several years in RHD South Africa.

One just needs to hone one's driving skills!
Old May 5th 2014, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

barlaventoexpert; this is one of the options we are thinking about. At the moment we have a vauxhall combo which has no windows in the back, think that would be too tricky to drive in a LHD country, so we need to change it at some point. Just running through the possabilities. We wont be moving to PT till 2017, but know we need to own whatever we decide on for a year before the move.
Alice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.