Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

cheapest options for Internet/TV?

cheapest options for Internet/TV?

Old Nov 24th 2020, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cheapest options for Internet/TV?

Looking for a cheapish deal for Internet and TV, and the cheapest I've been quoted is about €34 a month. It's for a house in the Algarve.

I don't need superfast Internet, but I do need it to be reliable. I guess there is no way of getting reliable Internet access without signing up with one of the big providers?

I have a PAYG on my phone with Three, which I can just about use as a portable hotspot for emergencies, but this may not be a reliable long-term option, and Brexit may complicate it further, with the deal possibly being cancelled when I'm in Portugal for extended periods?

As regards TV, I'm not really interested in the standard package, as the main thing I'd want from UK is BBC4, along with some foreign TV, Netflix, etc, and the possibility of some paid deal for World Cup etc. I think for this kind of thing I would need a firestick or something? Or a VPN?

Apologies in advance for my almost total ignorance of these matters. I haven't actually got a clue what a firestick is!
Old Nov 24th 2020, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheapest options for Internet/TV?

Lots of iptv providers out there but you'll need about 20mb dl minimum.

​​​​​We get everything you would ever need for about 90e a year. Plus Internet package at 35e a month, they won't split the deals up so you need to take a phone and pt tv to get high speed net
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks.

IPTV is for TV, I imagine? Why do you need 20 Mb, and how much is that in terms of the internet package?

I'm assuming from what you say that there's no option but to pay the 35 euros a month? Guess that's fine then - just wanted to know if there were any other possibilities.

Old Nov 24th 2020, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Internet protocol tv, needs about 20mb dl speed to givd 1080p quality without any buffering.

Check out with the neighbours who provides the best Internet service in your area, it does vary from area to area, if you can't get fibre you can get a 4g package from meo for about 35e a month, if you can position your modem and the mast isn't too far away plus there is not too much traffic on it, it should be good enough to watch iptv
Old Nov 24th 2020, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks! It's in a town (Silves), so mast should be relatively near?

Would the 20MB requirement be compatible with one of these €35 contracts?
Old Nov 24th 2020, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes it should. Good luck, if you speak to the neighbours first before you decide on who to sign up with as services vary a tremendous amount from area to area.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Most of Silves gets good 4G reception, on MEO....I am there every week and pretty quick when I have done speedtests (ie over 40mb dl).
Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
Most of Silves gets good 4G reception, on MEO....I am there every week and pretty quick when I have done speedtests (ie over 40mb dl).
Thanks. Does that mean one should go with Meo?

The house currently has a contract (and router) with Nowo. I imagine the owner will cancel the contract, but it will be my responsibility to return the router if I don't go with them?
Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

[
No it might be that Now is ok as well. You need to get a speedtest app and run it.
i am in Pera at the moment and speed here with neo is 65mb up and 40down.....very fast and stable

QUOTE=suiko;12939380]Thanks. Does that mean one should go with Meo?

The house currently has a contract (and router) with Nowo. I imagine the owner will cancel the contract, but it will be my responsibility to return the router if I don't go with them?[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 25th 2020, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi againNow at Registro building in Silves. Speedtest shows 45mb down and 34 mb up.
so pretty good.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Suiko, if you are renting the house, did you ask if the current set up with Now is available to you - perhaps included in your rent??!! If not included, can you continue it via the landlord, and indeed how much is he paying for it? Seems a shame to have to dispose of the router - which I suppose would be the landlord's responsibility.
If you are not renting, then you would need to talk to Now and ask them for their advice/offers, and sort out with the previous owners what they are doing with their router - and did they buy it or is it on a rental agreement via Now ...
- if you have an estate agent I think they could be sorting this out for you or at least help?
Old Nov 25th 2020, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Not renting, buying!

I think the router belongs to Now, as the estate agent told me I'd have to return it (presumably unless I get a new contract with them).

Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:17 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience anything 4G based gets overloaded during the summer months when all the tourists come and use up all the bandwidth. I would recommend going to the Meo shop in Silves, speak with Luis, he's about as helpful as any Portuguese I've in the 3 years I've lived here. See if you can get fibre, the M2 package is 25€ per month if I remember correctly.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seems like Nowo have Internet for 20 euros a month (120Mb).

I guess the best option is not to take the additional TV channels (the only thing that looks interesting is the FilmBox ArtHouse channel), and to go with a firestick option?
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Internet protocol tv, needs about 20mb dl speed to givd 1080p quality without any buffering.

Check out with the neighbours who provides the best Internet service in your area, it does vary from area to area, if you can't get fibre you can get a 4g package from meo for about 35e a month, if you can position your modem and the mast isn't too far away plus there is not too much traffic on it, it should be good enough to watch iptv
Hi
I have IPTV and use Britishtv.club my service works perfect and no buffering my speed is less than 1Mbps So why is 20 Mbps mentioned.
Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.