Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Change of UK tax code

Change of UK tax code

Old Feb 11th 2021, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sailfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change of UK tax code

I am a Portuguese resident and complete a Portuguese Tax return.

Today i received an e mail saying my UK Tax Code will be changed and effectively I will now be taxed on one of my pensions from April 2021.

Phoned the pension provider and they have an automatic message saying if call is about change of tax code contact HMRC.. Of course HMRC phone lines busy and they direct you to their website before saying goodbye.

Has Brexit affected how UK pensions are taxed if you live abroad.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of UK tax code

Originally Posted by Sailfree

Today i received an e mail saying my UK Tax Code will be changed and effectively I will now be taxed on one of my pensions from April 2021.

Phoned the pension provider and they have an automatic message saying if call is about change of tax code contact HMRC.. Of course HMRC phone lines busy and they direct you to their website before saying goodbye.

Have you filled out and returned to HMRC a double taxation form ? Sounds as though you have not.. Pension providers have a low risk approach and comply with basic HMRC criteria unless they get told anything different , if you do the right paperwork unless you have a civil service pension , armed forces etc you should have a UK tax exemption and HMRC will inform your pension provider accordingly. Normally after the first payment so you have to claim the tax back which they, HMRC, will pay
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yes last 4yrs been tax free in UK but today received by e mail a tax code for a National Grid pension. Went on HMRC website and it gives new code plus I will be paying £249,744.00 less in tax in 2021 - wish I was rich enough to have paid that amount of Tax in 2020!. Will try to contact HMRC and query new tax code hoping its an error.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Finally managed to speak with HMRC - very helpful - he thinks its a mistake and thinks he can will get it changed back to the correct NT.

So not a Brexit issue

Old Feb 12th 2021, 9:47 am
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sailfree

Have you written to HMRC to confirm your fiscal address in Portugal and have you completed form P85 ?
Old Feb 12th 2021, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

UK accountant has dealt with that. HMRC write to my Portuguese address and have phoned me on my Portuguese Landline - Checking up??. I am registered a an overseas Landlord and while I submit an annual UK tax return it is only on UK rental earnings. HMRC have had it correct for last 4 years as had a tax code of NT. In going through UK Gateway access on line I am still NT against one pension.

I suspect someone has made a mistake. Gateway website informed mt that I would pay over £200,000 less tax in 2021 amused me. If it can make the mistake of thinking i paid that much tax I wonder if it will make the mistake of refunding it? If so - see you in Thailand!!

Last edited by Sailfree; Feb 12th 2021 at 11:22 am.