Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

CGT on sale of property

CGT on sale of property

Old Mar 4th 2023, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CGT on sale of property

Same as me then, my Gracious Complaint in mid 2022 to reduce my CGT to 28% on 50% of nett gain was accepted although I believe there are time limits on claims.

As said above apparently since last year this no longer applies and you are taxed on 50% at the tax band applicable after declaring (but not paying tax on) your UK income (probably actually worldwide income?)
Old Mar 4th 2023, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Work out UK tax burden for capital gains here, using this simple calculator (allowance to go from £12,300 down to £6000 from April 2023)
https://taxscouts.com/calculator/capital-gains-tax/
Old Mar 4th 2023, 5:49 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
In my own case, I am a PT property owner for around 10 years, but still UK resident. We stay here for part of the year and rent out the rest of the year on an official (AL) basis. All done officially, and annual tax returns are filed by our local fiscal rep.
We are now considering selling up in PT in 2024, and moving any proceeds back to the UK, and had previously assumed we would have to pay 28% CGT on any profit.
You might want to have a word with your fiscal rep, assuming they have some professional knowledge of the tax system, about the specific provisions for taxing AL properties, either on cessation of activity or sale.

I don't think it's the same as applies to other property sales. See post 37 by dingg, on this thread for an intro to the topic.
Old Mar 8th 2023, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas on what would be the case if one sold a property in Portugal as a PT resident, then made a reinvestment in PT as a resident (paid IMT as a PT resident) and, paid any taxes due in PT. But after 12 months decide to stop residency and tax residency.
I ask this in particular to original IMT payment (house would not now be main home) and then any tax due on property sale ?
Old Mar 8th 2023, 7:34 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Any ideas on what would be the case if one sold a property in Portugal as a PT resident, then made a reinvestment in PT as a resident (paid IMT as a PT resident) and, paid any taxes due in PT. But after 12 months decide to stop residency and tax residency.
Then you would cease to benefit from the exemption or reduction in IMT (as per para 7 of Article 11 of the CIMT, which says change of use within 6 years loses you that benefit)
I ask this in particular to original IMT payment (house would not now be main home) and then any tax due on property sale ?
Ah - if you sold up, then the IMT benefit would still apply.

But you'd have to pay CGT on the sale. Unless you reinvested, or gained an exemption otherwise.
Old Mar 8th 2023, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was wondering if on telling Financas of change of address to UK, that they would then demand the difference between resident IMT and non resident. Although as I would see it I would have bought as a resident, and sold as a non resident?? Therefore adding IMT paid to cost of the property
Old May 14th 2023, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

An update for those who may be interested.

The Portuguese Tax Authority has clarified the tax framework of the real estate capital gains obtained by non-residents through Circular Letter no. 20255, of 14 April 2023, as follows:

· Until 31/12/2022, net real estate capital gains are considered at only 50% of their value and taxed autonomously at the special rate of 28% (but only if you complain);

· As from 01/01/2023, real estate capital gains will have to be compulsorily aggregated (at 50% of their value) with the other income obtained by non-residents, and will be subject to the corresponding progressive rates of IRS.
Old May 14th 2023, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much, very helpful to have confirmation.
Old May 14th 2023, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

According to my calcs on a CG of €100,000 with modest income of €17000 the tax would be the same either method.
Presume they would not want to tax overseas income, but just use it to calculate the CG tax rate?
If British tax payer, HMRC would still want the same as before which would mean after paying PT, HMRC would want their cut as well (sale of second home).
Old May 14th 2023, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

On your example I think the UK liability would be well over double the Portuguese liability
Old May 14th 2023, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

According to my calcs on a CG of €100,000 with modest income of €17000 the tax would be the same either method.
Presume they would not want to tax overseas income, but just use it to calculate the CG tax rate?
If British tax payer, HMRC would still want the same as before which would mean after paying PT, HMRC would want their cut as well (sale of second home).
As per the emphasised wording at 4(iii) of the Ofício Circulado, the aggregated foreign income is only used to determine the PT tax rate of the CG.
Old May 14th 2023, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

According to my calcs it would be this on the CG amount of €100K

CG at €100,000 in PT on second/holiday home:

a) In PT 50% of gain taxable, so €50,000
UK income of €17,000
As a result total income of €67,000 tax rate would be at 45%
So Gross tax would be €30,150
Less deduction of € 6,500
Net tax to pay in PT at €23,650 = £20,700

b) In UK (at exchange rate of €1.14) CG is £87,700
Income for cgt calc £15,000
Using allowance of £6,000 for CG
Capital gain tax in UK would be £19,300

So no extra tax to pay in UK using Double Taxation

Calcs in UK............

Capital gains tax (CGT) breakdown

You pay no CGT on the first £6,000 that you make

You pay £6,349 at 18% tax rate for the next £35,270 of your capital gains

You pay £13,000 at 28% tax rate on the remaining £46,430 of your capital gains
Old May 14th 2023, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

My bad, senior moment.
Old May 14th 2023, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

But of course, as a tax resident of PT, then the sale of your main home (PT is main home) is covered by PPR in UK and no tax would be required to be paid, even if you are a tax resident and home owner in UK, as long as you spend no more than 90 days in a year in UK property, and can confirm that you spend more than 90 days in the PT property in the year of sale (UK tax year being April - end March following year).
Thats my understanding of it......