Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

CGT on sale of property

CGT on sale of property

Old Jan 12th 2023, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CGT on sale of property

Originally Posted by chislenko
Assuming I don't have the confidence to attempt doing it myself does anyone know the answer to the original question can an accountant or a Fiscal Rep perform all the calculations and make the payments or do you need an accountant to do the working out then a Fiscal Rep to do the payment?
Yes, although surely you can make the payment directly to AT since you will be ultimately footing the bill.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming I don't have the confidence to attempt doing it myself does anyone know the answer to the original question can an accountant or a Fiscal Rep perform all the calculations and make the payments or do you need an accountant to do the working out then a Fiscal Rep to do the payment?
An accountant can certainly fill out your tax return for a fee (I was quoted a few hundred euros although I've no idea why so expensive), a fiscal rep might be able to but it depends on their skills and inclination, mine is a friend's neighbour so don't think they would.

You should be able to pay for yourself or you could pay the accountant/FR to pay I suppose?
Old Jan 12th 2023, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
An accountant can certainly fill out your tax return for a fee (I was quoted a few hundred euros although I've no idea why so expensive), a fiscal rep might be able to but it depends on their skills and inclination, mine is a friend's neighbour so don't think they would.

You should be able to pay for yourself or you could pay the accountant/FR to pay I suppose?
Thanks, although we have AT logins we have never used the site. As non residents the only tax we have ever paid has been IMI (initially at the Post Office and later via our Bank Account.

I know in this day and age of IT dominance it may be strange to find people who are not confident with it but we fit into that bracket.

For everyone who I am sure is computer savvy this may seem strange, but it is horses for courses, I expect there are skills I possess which some others may not.

​​

Just as an aside as the property was in both our names would the CGT be devided and we would both pay a portion each or can it just be paid as one.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Understood, and as the AT is in a foreign language even with Google's help it isn't for the faint hearted.

With regard to tax your accountant can file for you together as a couple and only one payment required.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

By the way, was your sale in 2022 or 2023?
Old Jan 12th 2023, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, was your sale in 2022 or 2023?
2022 appman, so I think I am correct in saying I need to sort this before June 23?
Old Jan 12th 2023, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

2022 appman, so I think I am correct in saying I need to sort this before June 23?
Correct. The filing period is between 1st April 2023 and 30th June 2023. Payment is then due by 31st August 2023.

Last edited by ARCNET; Jan 12th 2023 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: CGT on sale of property

appman999, may I please ask, when you filed your Gracious Complaint did you complete the bottom section relating to agent? The reason I am asking is because I filed one a few days ago leaving that part blank (as I’m dealing with it myself as I understood you did) and although an online message said the Complaint was filed successfully giving a Process Number I‘ve not received any other communication of acknowledgement. To make matters worse, when I consult the “Registered Complaints” it’s not there. Are you able to share what the communication process was when you did yours? TIA
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you are referring to the bottom section headed MANDATÁRIO, I believe I took it to be mandatory and filled it in with my details.

I do remember there being a long delay before it became visible and updated at each stage thereafter.

For instance it took a long time to update online after I had written confirmation it was agreed.

The other issue I had was that all written responses (and the rebate cheque!!) were sent to my Fiscal Rep despite me being signed up for electronic notifications (and receiving for IMI)

Nothing ever came by electronic notifications ViaCTT, email or text message.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

I think you are referring to the bottom section headed MANDATÁRIO, I believe I took it to be mandatory and filled it in with my details.

I do remember there being a long delay before it became visible and updated at each stage thereafter.

For instance it took a long time to update online after I had written confirmation it was agreed.

The other issue I had was that all written responses (and the rebate cheque!!) were sent to my Fiscal Rep despite me being signed up for electronic notifications (and receiving for IMI)

Nothing ever came by electronic notifications ViaCTT, email or text message.
Thanks appman. I'll keep monitoring the Portal and, if too much time passes before there is an update to at least show the Complaint is registered, I'll try sending a message quoting the Process Number.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:28 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point of information here, for the sake of others who may be reading and unfamiliar with terms. A mandatário would be somebody to whom you give authority to act on your behalf - a representative.

It isn't obligatory to do so.

Last edited by Red Eric; Jan 12th 2023 at 8:31 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Red Eric, the other translation I had was Mandate which is closer.

Despite giving myself authority to act on my behalf all the correspondence was with my fiscal rep!
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've also now learnt to look at the dictionary in Deepl rather than just the translation, thanks for that.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

[...]Despite giving myself authority to act on my behalf [...]
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

My pleasure, I was quite pleased with it too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.