Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

CGT on sale of property

CGT on sale of property

Old Jan 10th 2023, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CGT on sale of property

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Well, one of the things I'd like to ask, never having sold a property here, is do you get all the proceeds there and then or is there some sort of retention to try to ensure compliance with reporting etc?

And if there's no retention, what is it that compels the foreign resident to comply (other than a burning desire to do the right thing, obviously)? I realise the tax authorities will be notified of the sale anyway, so they could chase up on residents - but what about the non-residents?
No retention for the seller, resident or otherwise; you receive the full proceeds (less any mortgage) when the deed is executed at the Notary. On the other hand, the buyer must provide receipted evidence of paying the IMT before the Notary will proceed.
Old Jan 10th 2023, 7:41 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ARCNET
No retention for the seller, resident or otherwise; you receive the full proceeds (less any mortgage) when the deed is executed at the Notary. On the other hand, the buyer must provide receipted evidence of paying the IMT before the Notary will proceed.
So what would happen if the foreign-resident seller didn't know (would that be possible?), or was told, but forgot, that he had to file a tax return and pay CGT on any gain? Or any other possible circumstance involving non-payment on the part of anyone selling up and moving on, never to return?
Old Jan 10th 2023, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Certainly in the case of a UK resident they would still have the liability to the full CGT in the UK with the usual penalties for failure to declare.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

But if PT AT get their tax, why would they inform any other Worldwide Tax regime?
Old Jan 11th 2023, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

As a UK resident, regarding UK CGT, using my figures from post 68 above, the UK Capital Gain Tax payable would be £54,000, slightly more after 1st April 2023.(as a second home)
In PT tax would be 250,000/2 = e125,000 + 20,000 = 145,000e x 48% = e69,600 - e9000 = e58,600 / 1.15 = £51,000
So even after that shock in PT, you would still be left with another £3,000 to pay in UK
So CGT is not so different between the two. The biggest difference of course being that there is Zero tax to pay in UK, on sale of Main home, which Brit PT residents can claim, makimg zero UK tax payable
Old Jan 11th 2023, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
But if PT AT get their tax, why would they inform any other Worldwide Tax regime?
Red Eric's question regarded a non resident who left Portugal without paying tax (deliberately or by accident) rather than someone who had paid tax.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

So what would happen if the foreign-resident seller didn't know (would that be possible?), or was told, but forgot, that he had to file a tax return and pay CGT on any gain? Or any other possible circumstance involving non-payment on the part of anyone selling up and moving on, never to return?
The Portuguese authorities will be well aware of the original purchase and subsequent sale (the Notaries are mandated to notify AT) so they would be in a position to raise an estimated assessment that could be pursued cross borders.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by appman999
Red Eric's question regarded a non resident who left Portugal without paying tax (deliberately or by accident) rather than someone who had paid tax.
is that not where a fiscal rep comes in?
Old Jan 11th 2023, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Only in terms of communication, I don't believe they are responsible for payment of outstanding tax liabilities.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:32 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
Only in terms of communication, I don't believe they are responsible for payment of outstanding tax liabilities.
Correct.

Also, in the case of EU residents, they're not required to have a fiscal rep. Neither, come to that, are 3rd country residents, as long as they sign up to electronic notifications.

I'll take it that as per ARCNET's post, there is some facility for chasing tax debts cross borders.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Correct.

Also, in the case of EU residents, they're not required to have a fiscal rep. Neither, come to that, are 3rd country residents, as long as they sign up to electronic notifications.

I'll take it that as per ARCNET's post, there is some facility for chasing tax debts cross borders.
This should provide some insight https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.e...ax-recovery_en
Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Just veering off slightly, we have sold up in Portugal and understand that we will have some CGT to pay, no arguments, abide by the rules.

My question is do I need an accountant or a Fiscal Rep to do it or both?

I.e. Can one company do it all or do I need both?

Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chislenko
Just veering off slightly, we have sold up in Portugal and understand that we will have some CGT to pay, no arguments, abide by the rules.

My question is do I need an accountant or a Fiscal Rep to do it or both?

I.e. Can one company do it all or do I need both?
That's your choice. In fact you don't need either if you are willing and able to complete the relatively straightforward tax return on the AT Portal.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Seconded, assuming for the 2022 tax year you don't have to declare your worldwide income. I did mine quite happily.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming I don't have the confidence to attempt doing it myself does anyone know the answer to the original question can an accountant or a Fiscal Rep perform all the calculations and make the payments or do you need an accountant to do the working out then a Fiscal Rep to do the payment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.