Cars & Insurance for UK expats in Portugal

Wikiposts

Cars & Insurance for UK expats in Portugal

Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:55 am
Just Joined

rarrainbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars & Insurance for UK expats in Portugal

Hello Expats in Portugal!

Hope you're all good and enjoying the sunshine... it's pretty cold here in the UK!

My BF and I are moving to Portugal at the end of May. We are in the fortunate position that we are going to be living in the hills in the place of my voluntary work... excellent start!!

He will be working as a freelance underwater photographer around the South Algarve and therefore requires a car. We are divers and surfers so have lots of possessions to being over.

As such we have decided to buy a cheap car here (European made - maybe Audi estate) to drive over. We have found an excellent insurance company for third party fire and theft (greencard) and are going to get AA breakdown cover to to cover us for our road trip. We will make sure our car is UK legal re tax and MOT for at least 6 months.

We understand that to matriculate costs a bomb and has to be done before 183 days. Some say local police are not worried, some say we will get fined 500 Euros and have the car impounded.

So, as such a cheap car, we will arrange for friend/sibling to fly over and drive it back whilst still legal, to sell in the UK. Then we plan to buy a used Portuguese run around.

We both have new EU licences.

So what I need help with is, are there any expat mechanics in the South Algarve that can help us find a replacement car when we get there? As we are only looking for a getting us from A to B type car, is it reasonable to expect we can get one for 500-1000 euros and cheap enough insurance?

Also, can anybody recommend commercial insurance and contents insurance? As my BF is freelance, his premises is our home, so contents covers all his gear at home. Diving insurance covers him for emergencies, but to cover cameras going overboard etc, he needs commercial insurance.... does anybody have any idea?

All in all we need:

car insurance
breakdown cover
contents insurance
commercial insurance

Is it a case of use the same company for the job lot and get discount??

Any top tips would be great

Thanks in advance :-)
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cars & Insurance for UK expats in Portugal

Originally Posted by rarrainbow
Hello Expats in Portugal!

A to B type car, is it reasonable to expect we can get one for 500-1000 euros and cheap enough insurance?

All in all we need:

car insurance
breakdown cover
contents insurance
commercial insurance

Is it a case of use the same company for the job lot and get discount??
I posted on your other thread ref car insurance with breakdown & regarding bonus. cover 500-1000 euros... I take it you want fully comp? (if so yes, but dont expect to get fully comp for an old car...far less for 3rd party)
Contents, easily arranged but if you have any individual item worth more than 1500 euros.. its better to discriminate the items(2500€ for electrical items)

Commercial insurance, he will be/have a registered business here in Portugal? If so he would also be better to get "accidentes de trabalho" insurance also.

There is a guy on here "Mike" who sells insurance in the Algarve... perhaps he can be of help/use
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Hi R!
€1,000 will not buy much of a car at all. They are expensive here. Check out values here - http://auto.sapo.pt/
As GS says insuring older cars comprehensively is not easy. I can do up to 15 years old. After that third party only. Most motor insurance should include breakdown cover.
You will not be able to use your UK registered car for business.
Make sure you have a new MOT before you leave. Tax it for 6 months.
The range of commercial products is not extensive here.
We work with a panel of Portuguese and English insurers so hopefully can find the right cover for you.
If you need some help then drop me a PM with you contact details. I see you are in Lagos. Our nearest office is in Boliqueime, although we can deal by 'phone, fax and email.
Cheers,
Mike.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rarrainbow

To get a car Matriculated does not cost a Bomb as you say. Only if you listen to stories from people who know no better. How do i know because i have just Matriculated my car. I didn't just Matriculate it i wrote about it on my Blog in great detail.

Yes some people may have had problems but if they have everything in order it's no trouble. I did it all in one DAY.

I did it all without the aid of a translator or expensive agent.

Below is a link to the page that may help you.

Peter

http://petersvaleboahouse.blogspot.p...-legal-in.html
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi Rarrainbow

To get a car Matriculated does not cost a Bomb as you say. Only if you listen to stories from people who know no better. How do i know because i have just Matriculated my car. I didn't just Matriculate it i wrote about it on my Blog in great detail.

Yes some people may have had problems but if they have everything in order it's no trouble. I did it all in one DAY.

I did it all without the aid of a translator or expensive agent.

Below is a link to the page that may help you.

Peter

http://petersvaleboahouse.blogspot.p...-legal-in.html
They haven't bought the car yet. As such unless they buy sometime with a tiny engine that expels fresh air it will not be cost effective.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

sorry I mis-read that... I thought it was 500-1000 for insurance!

Yes that money at best will get you a small petrol engined car from mid 90's at newest.