Reload this Page >

Caravanning in Portugal

Caravanning in Portugal

Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

onemorething is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Caravanning in Portugal

Ola everyone.
We want to go to Portugal with our caravan next year. Has anyone got such an experience in Portugal? Did you (or someone you know) visit camping sites around there? Tell us a bit more please about what we should be prepeared, positives-negatives... (in compare with caravanning in UK).
Many thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 10:33 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caravanning in Portugal

Are you talking about living in PT or just having a look around? Not that I've much experience of either especially caravanning
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Are you talking about living in PT or just having a look around? Not that I've much experience of either especially caravanning
Just to have a look around :-)
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Been to a few here in the North and centre of Portugal in our tent, all had very clean toilets etc Most were very dusty compared to the U.K due to the lack of grass although the one here where I live is quite green (my uncle has a caravan here and the toilets/showers are spotless and according to him keeping his caravan on site here is much cheaper than caravan storage in the U.K)
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Gary-C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onemorething
Ola everyone.
We want to go to Portugal with our caravan next year. Has anyone got such an experience in Portugal? Did you (or someone you know) visit camping sites around there? Tell us a bit more please about what we should be prepeared, positives-negatives... (in compare with caravanning in UK).
Many thanks!
Ola onemorething

I have recently purchased a campsite and bed and breakfast in the Northern Alentejo. Fantastic national park area. You are more than welcome to use our facilities which are open all year round when you visit Portugal.

The main differences between the Portuguese and UK camp sites are the Weather! (much better in Portugal as you can imagine), the cost system and the electrical hook ups.
In the UK there is normally a choice of two prices per night. One with hook and one without. In Portugal it is slightly more complicated. Most campsites charge per night for the unit, plus a charge per person, plus a charge for elec. hook ups etc. Some also charge separately for showers etc. So just be careful how the prices are specified. That said it is still cheaper than the UK.

Also the ampage can vary alot from site to site some sometimes as low as 6-10 amps which (I am no electrician so I will stand corrected) makes appliances e.g. kettles work much more slowly.

I hope that this help. If you have any other concerns fire away.

Gary
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gary-C
Ola onemorething

I have recently purchased a campsite and bed and breakfast in the Northern Alentejo. Fantastic national park area.

Gary
Im extremly envious!! Love the idea of a campsite......just not busy enough up here in the north outside July and August. My brain will just have to think on for other ideas...(outside Vinho verde time of course!)
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Im extremly envious!! Love the idea of a campsite......just not busy enough up here in the north outside July and August. My brain will just have to think on for other ideas...(outside Vinho verde time of course!)
Gedscottish

"outside vinho verde time time of course" ......... Its good to hear from someone with like minded priorities!

I havent yet seen through a winter so it is going to be interesting to understand both the climate more and also the business pattern.

Gary
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Local campsite here seems to get by with what they make in the summer, but it's a bit empty the rest of the year but here the majority of their clients are Portuguese, maybe where you are you will more British for example?! Certainly if you have a bar.......they will vastly increase the income in that respect!!(portuguese tend to drink a coffee or one beer and sit all day spending nothing)
Have you considered the idea of these wooden cabins for tourists? Could maybe persuade Brits/Dutch etc to come out of season?!(just a thought) Do you have a pool?(many campers look for this in a campsite here......although im sure you know this) Although all of this is big money.......so make sure it's the banks and not yours!
Good luck with your interesting venture........
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Ola onemorething

I have recently purchased a campsite and bed and breakfast in the Northern Alentejo.
WOW! It's something what my DH is considering about! :-)) Wishing you a good business!
Thank you Gary for details. We've found a few web pages with informations. Were surprised about pricing there, yes its different. Have you got your one?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

Ola onemorething

I have recently purchased a campsite and bed and breakfast in the Northern Alentejo. Fantastic national park area. You are more than welcome to use our facilities which are open all year round when you visit Portugal.

The main differences between the Portuguese and UK camp sites are the Weather! (much better in Portugal as you can imagine), the cost system and the electrical hook ups.
In the UK there is normally a choice of two prices per night. One with hook and one without. In Portugal it is slightly more complicated. Most campsites charge per night for the unit, plus a charge per person, plus a charge for elec. hook ups etc. Some also charge separately for showers etc. So just be careful how the prices are specified. That said it is still cheaper than the UK.

Also the ampage can vary alot from site to site some sometimes as low as 6-10 amps which (I am no electrician so I will stand corrected) makes appliances e.g. kettles work much more slowly.

I hope that this help. If you have any other concerns fire away.

Gary
Gary C

Just in case, would you post details of your campsite, including tent fee's etc - website if you have one too. If you would prefer to send via email, let me know.

Thanks.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in the response. I have had some computer problems hence the delay.

I have currently hi-jacked the previous owners web site, but have changed the contact details to mine. which includes price break down.

I am in the process of creating an all new website with much more detail and in several languages. This should be up and running in about six week, so please check again then.

It is interesting. It seems that through the winter months visitors were mainly British retired/semi retired people who tour around Southern Europe to avoid the UK weather.

During the Summer the Nationalities have been much very varied with many visitors from France, Belguim, Spain, Portuguese, and the UK. Plus some from Scandinavia, Italy, German etc etc.

If you guys have any more questions then please fire away.

Gary

Last edited by Cleri; Oct 1st 2007 at 2:30 pm. Reason: Sorry no advertising
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I have just recently come back from a camping (tent only) trip around Baixo Alentejo. I found most of my information using a combination of Lonely Planet guide and the internet.

We stayed at Serpa, Beja, Alcacer do Sal and Vila Nova de Milfontes. Do not go to the campsite at Beja!!!! It is very disappointing and I will not return there. The best site I have been too so far in Portugal is at Nazare (last May - we stayed in a chalet but there were lots of tents and caravans), it was excellent.

Thanks
Sarah
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:33 am
Just Joined

norm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sibs
Hi

I have just recently come back from a camping (tent only) trip around Baixo Alentejo. I found most of my information using a combination of Lonely Planet guide and the internet.

We stayed at Serpa, Beja, Alcacer do Sal and Vila Nova de Milfontes. Do not go to the campsite at Beja!!!! It is very disappointing and I will not return there. The best site I have been too so far in Portugal is at Nazare (last May - we stayed in a chalet but there were lots of tents and caravans), it was excellent.

Thanks
Sarah
does anyone know of a caravan for sale?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

we spent a long time touring Portugal in our motorhome, lots of good campsites available, not expensive compared with the rest of Europe. there are some good books and guides for campsites available for Portugal. most campsites sell the camping guide to portugal for about 6 7 euros.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Caravanning in Portugal

We have just been to Garys campsite, Camping Asseiceira, and it is quite special. Close to Marvao and with spectacular views of it, also Portalegre and Castello de Vide which is my favorite Portuguese town. We had John Measures book Wildlife Spain with us and it is so close to the Spanish border that we were able to use it for reference, mainly for birds at this time of the year but we will certainly go back in the spring for the flowers and are really looking forward to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.