British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Car washing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/car-washing-943327/)

NataHH Mar 26th 2022 12:29 pm

Car washing

Having my car covered in Sahara dust I would like to know if I can wash my car outside my house? I am not on a main road.

GrahamF Mar 26th 2022 7:13 pm

Re: Car washing

Of course you can.

NataHH Mar 26th 2022 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by GrahamF (Post 13103985)
Of course you can.

Thanks I was wondering because I have never seen anyone washing their car and I know it is illegal in Germany. They all seem to take it to the car wash.

Rosemary Mar 26th 2022 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by NataHH (Post 13103988)
Thanks I was wondering because I have never seen anyone washing their car and I know it is illegal in Germany. They all seem to take it to the car wash.

Not allowed in Spain either.

Rosemary

Red Eric Mar 26th 2022 9:48 pm

It's a matter for local authorities to decide.

Hefty penalties may apply if caught doing so in municipios where it's forbidden. Check with yours if in doubt.

GrahamF Mar 27th 2022 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13104003)
It's a matter for local authorities to decide.
Hefty penalties may apply if caught doing so in municipios where it's forbidden. Check with yours if in doubt.

Are there some municipalities in Portugal where it is banned? When I said "of course you can", above, it was because over the years I've regularly seen neighbours washing theirs on the street, using buckets not hoses.

Red Eric Mar 28th 2022 6:03 am

Originally Posted by GrahamF (Post 13104085)
Are there some municipalities in Portugal where it is banned? When I said "of course you can", above, it was because over the years I've regularly seen neighbours washing theirs on the street, using buckets not hoses.

For environmental / public health reasons. Water containing detergents etc shouldn't end up in the rainwater drains.

There's possibly a national law that covers this although it may not explicitly mention the washing of cars in the street, which I understand is covered at local authority level.

atlasthemonk Mar 28th 2022 9:11 am

We are in the middle of a drought, in the UK there would be a hose pipe ban.Use your own discretion !

Red Eric Mar 28th 2022 9:16 pm

Hmmm......

Observing one's neighbours, using one's discretion based on the drought provisions of the UK.

Not the best means of deciding whether something's prohibited under PT national or local law, I supect.

Artfuldodger128 Mar 30th 2022 9:46 pm

I found a funny article on the Sixt website on cars.
Specific to Portugal:
"> If you wear glasses or contact lenses and you’re driving in Spain, Portugal or Switzerland then remember to dig your spare pair out to take with you as drivers are required to carry an additional pair when driving.> Leave the jerry can at home and beware of running out of fuel without a petrol station near when driving in Portugal as it is illegal to carry a can of petrol in the car at any time."

Specific to car washing:
"> More European Governments than expected take a keen interest in vehicle cleanliness, and it is illegal to drive a dirty car in countries such as Bulgaria, Belarus and Russia.> In Switzerland you are not allowed to wash your car on Sundays. Germany had the same law but modified it to allow car washing on Sundays after midday (so your church going time is not disturbed). Although you are not able to do this car washing with water and detergent on the street, even if it is your own property."

Rosemary Mar 30th 2022 9:50 pm

You have to carry spare glasses in your car in Spain if it states on your licence that they are necessary for driving.

Rosemary

Shanorme Mar 31st 2022 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128 (Post 13104936)
I found a funny article on the Sixt website on cars.
Specific to Portugal:
"> If you wear glasses or contact lenses and you’re driving in Spain, Portugal or Switzerland then remember to dig your spare pair out to take with you as drivers are required to carry an additional pair when driving.> Leave the jerry can at home and beware of running out of fuel without a petrol station near when driving in Portugal as it is illegal to carry a can of petrol in the car at any time."

Specific to car washing:
"> More European Governments than expected take a keen interest in vehicle cleanliness, and it is illegal to drive a dirty car in countries such as Bulgaria, Belarus and Russia.> In Switzerland you are not allowed to wash your car on Sundays. Germany had the same law but modified it to allow car washing on Sundays after midday (so your church going time is not disturbed). Although you are not able to do this car washing with water and detergent on the street, even if it is your own property."

Intrigued by it being illegal to carry a can of petrol in the car in PT - we have a petrol strimmer and a chainsaw and obviously, these need topping up with petrol during use.

macliam Mar 31st 2022 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 13105016)
Intrigued by it being illegal to carry a can of petrol in the car in PT - we have a petrol strimmer and a chainsaw and obviously, these need topping up with petrol during use.

Yes, it may be the law, but not the observance........ I recall being in Marvao and asking at a local garage where to top-up. "Do you want the closest and the cheapest or the 'official' answer?" I was asked...... I asked the difference.... "Well, 8km up that way is Spain and the petrol is cheaper, 10km down that way is the closest in Portugal!!" I chose the former and drove towards the border, noticing many cars coming in the opposite direction with their noses almost pointing skyward. When I arrived at the service station, the reason became obvious...... four gas canisters weigh a lot, and bottled gas was also much, much cheaper than in Portugal! :lol:

NOTE - it is expressly forbidden to carry gas canisters in the boot of a normal vehicle.;)

Shanorme Mar 31st 2022 8:50 pm

I'm 20 minutes from the border....

Red Eric Apr 1st 2022 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 13105016)

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13105048)
Yes, it may be the law, but not the observance........

Are you sure it's the law?

The most reliable of sites give the carrying of fuel in suitable containers in private vehicles as allowed, limited to 60 litres within PT and 10 litres if bringing across the border from Spain.