Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car Tax Imposto Único Circulação ~How to Pay in Advance ?

Car Tax Imposto Único Circulação ~How to Pay in Advance ?

Old Feb 20th 2024, 9:10 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Tax Imposto Único Circulação ~How to Pay in Advance ?

My IUC is due ( as I understand it ) by the end of March. I think the sum due is €185,58.
I received notification of this from the car dealer, rather than from Finanças.

I have tried to work out how to pay it online via the Portal das Finanças, but so far have not achieved that.

Perhaps you cannot pay it too far in advance of the due date ?

I would like to pay in advance just out of fear of forgetting nearer the time.

Does anyone know if
A] I can now pay it, or is it too early ? And

B] is there a simple way of paying it online ? Or maybe via Multibanco machine ?

Thanks in advance for enlightenment.
Old Feb 20th 2024, 9:22 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Tax Imposto Único Circulação ~How to Pay in Advance ?

You can't pay it until the bill has been generated, as you won't have the necessary payment reference until then.

Once it has been, you can pay it online via homebanking or at a Multibanco machine if you have a PT bank account.

You can't pay it via the Finances Portal but that is where you can check to find out whether the bill has been generated (although if you're signed up for email notifications, you should get one of those as soon as it has been, I think).

Did the car dealer give you a payment reference?
Old Feb 20th 2024, 10:16 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this.

So is the bill for IUC generated by Finanças or some other Dept. of Government ?

Last year ( around March / April 2023 ) was the first time I bought the car, and from memory I paid the dealer a total amount which included the IUC. So I did not myself have any dealings with Finanças or anyone else , other than the dealer, related to the IUC.

Part of my confusion / anxiety is because I think I have a Respresentativo Fiscal, but they have not replied to the last two emails I sent them, so I don't know whether they will be receiving emails from Finanças or me.

Do Finanças send actual emails to remind people of taxes due ? Or do you have to look it all up proactively on the Finanças website ?

Old Feb 20th 2024, 1:30 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
So is the bill for IUC generated by Finanças or some other Dept. of Government ?
Finanças

Last year ( around March / April 2023 ) was the first time I bought the car, and from memory I paid the dealer a total amount which included the IUC. So I did not myself have any dealings with Finanças or anyone else , other than the dealer, related to the IUC.
Yes, that's the norm when you buy from a dealer. I see what you meant above now.

Part of my confusion / anxiety is because I think I have a Respresentativo Fiscal, but they have not replied to the last two emails I sent them, so I don't know whether they will be receiving emails from Finanças or me.
You can check whether you have an active representative by acessing the Portal, then : A Minha Area / Dados Pessoais / Dados de Contacto / Representante / Consultar Nomeação

If UK (or other non-EU) resident you need either a representative or to sign up for Notificações Electronicas using the CTT service provided for the purpose free of charge.

Do Finanças send actual emails to remind people of taxes due ? Or do you have to look it all up proactively on the Finanças website ?
Yes, they do for residents, who need to log a verified e-mail address with Finanças.

Non-residents as above if not EU based.

Checking the Finanças website is something you can do to set your mind at rest if you suspect there might have been a glitch / you've forgotten what email address you supplied / you haven't heard from your fiscal rep or don't know whether they still are your nomination etc. If you have got a current fiscal rep, they're supposed to receive email on your behalf and forward it to you, I think (never had one myself but I'm sure I read that in passing somewhere).
Old Feb 20th 2024, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

riv , you could set up a direct debit for your IUC at https://sitfiscal.portaldasfinancas....do/criarPedido
Old Feb 21st 2024, 7:44 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Thank you both for these useful pointers.
Old Feb 21st 2024, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

NSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the rough

Select IUC
select entregar ano corrente
select whichcategory of vehicle it is and click Pesquisar
On this page you should see details and when payment is due by. If you want to pay

Select Atualizer then watch out for the 'bill' that will have the payment details
Old Mar 7th 2024, 8:22 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

I think I have managed to pay (185 euros and a few cents ).

When I checked Portal das Finan,cas over the weekend ( so into March ) I found ( eventually ) the demand plus the payment reference.

With the latter managed to pay at a Multibanco.

Thanks again for all the pointers above.