Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car rentals at Faro airport

Car rentals at Faro airport

Old Sep 4th 2023, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice
Default Car rentals at Faro airport

We are returning to the Algarve for a long term stay this winter and plan to rent a car at Faro airport. Has anyone had experience with an English based rental company called Drive4Fun which may be associated with Discovery Cars? Reviews seem to be positive but I have no way of knowing if they are legitimate.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rentals at Faro airport

hi
Have seen their cars around, but dont know much about them. But I looked at their website and put in dates from 1st Nov - 31st March 24, and cheapest car was €4800 !!!!!!!!
I suggest you take a look at a UK broker at www.enjoytravel.com
Using same dates and put in age 70, best price comes in at €1178 , If you want excess insurance that would add a further €617 making €1800. That is for a Fiat Panda.
You will see that the hire company on the airport is MasterKings.
I used them for a decade, and found them really good, All speak English perfectly and never a problem with them or their cars.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Drive4fun for several years (before I bought my own car) at least six times a year, always booked through Zest. Never had a problem with either pickup or return at Faro airport, carpark #4. Price was usually reasonably competitive when compared with others on Zest. Like you I initially picked them based on reviews/other horror stories. I only ever had one reason to contact them .... I think it was a Renault Clio whose fuel filler flap refused to open when I needed to fill up! Rang them from the garage and Zest told me to force open/break the flap to gain access, which I did. I was concerned about the damage and subsequent charges/arguments but they were true to their word and I never heard from them.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 10:45 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
hi
Have seen their cars around, but dont know much about them. But I looked at their website and put in dates from 1st Nov - 31st March 24, and cheapest car was €4800 !!!!!!!!
Using same dates and put in age 70, best price comes in at €1178 , If you want excess insurance that would add a further €617 making €1800. That is for a Fiat Panda.
I used them for a decade, and found them really good, All speak English perfectly and never a problem with them or their cars.
I'd second this, both for the agent and the car-hire company.... although I haven't had to hire a car for a few years. I used Enjoy for years and ended up specifically requested MasterKings from them. Enjoy were one of the first agencies to reject the Spanish-style full-empty fuel scam, which normally left you either paying OTT for fuel you did not use. MasterKings were always very responsive to issues and did not make a song and dance about my having my own hire insurance. They also sorted out the motorway tolls issue well before other agents too. Both were important to ensure you actually got what you paid for - and didn't end up with a big "extras" bill.

On this, I would definitely look into arranging excess cover from an external company...... a year's insurance, with better cover than the "excess" offered by most hire companies, should cost you far less than the amount quoted above by wellinever above. The "better" cover means wheels, tryes and interior is normally covered, whereas these are often specifically excluded by local excess cover. However, things change, so DYOR.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jeraboam
We are returning to the Algarve for a long term stay this winter and plan to rent a car at Faro airport. Has anyone had experience with an English based rental company called Drive4Fun which may be associated with Discovery Cars? Reviews seem to be positive but I have no way of knowing if they are legitimate.
I've used Drive4Fun before and they were fine and can be competitive.

The rental market is very supply/demand driven and prices change very quickly.

I also use Enjoy and they often come up with autorent.pt who I have used many times with no problem. I go with their basic package plus my own excess insurance.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
hi
Interesting quirk of rental cars is that you need to also check the individual months prices.

For example doing the same booking at Drive4Fun but individual months gives a total of €1259 for the cheapest car (exc 31st March which for some reason (Sunday?) bumps it up)

When I do long term rent with Autorent.pt I always do this and you can swap rental contract by email without returning to the airport.

Checking on Enjoy travel in the same way has Autorent.pt as cheapest at €1047 for a fiat 500. (Autorent doesn't show up if you do the long stay method)

In all cases it may be worth ringing the company involved to negotiate.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 3:58 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
Interesting quirk of rental cars is that you need to also check the individual months prices.

For example doing the same booking at Drive4Fun but individual months gives a total of €1259 for the cheapest car (exc 31st March which for some reason (Sunday?) bumps it up)

When I do long term rent with Autorent.pt I always do this and you can swap rental contract by email without returning to the airport.

Checking on Enjoy travel in the same way has Autorent.pt as cheapest at €1047 for a fiat 500. (Autorent doesn't show up if you do the long stay method)

It's always a chase to get the best option......

However, I think we agree that arranging tour own excess insurance is a no-brainer.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Minor detail but Enjoy also give 4% cashback on Quidco
Old Sep 4th 2023, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice

Thanks for all the quick responses. I have been considering the D4F and MK companies and your comments have been helpful and reassuring. My Canadian Visa card covers all the extra insurance including the tires, glass, etc. Both companies accept drivers my age (85) and have comparable prices for my Feb.-Mar. stay in Albufeira. We usually rent from a Lisbon area company but have decided to either fly or take the train to Faro this time.
Old Sep 4th 2023, 8:48 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Jeraboam
Thanks for all the quick responses. I have been considering the D4F and MK companies and your comments have been helpful and reassuring. My Canadian Visa card covers all the extra insurance including the tires, glass, etc. Both companies accept drivers my age (85) and have comparable prices for my Feb.-Mar. stay in Albufeira. We usually rent from a Lisbon area company but have decided to either fly or take the train to Faro this time.
Hope you get it sorted out and enjoy your trip.

I'm back to Portugal later this month and looking forward to it.....
Old Sep 4th 2023, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999

I would second autorent. Done several hires with them and the price, cars and service are excellent
Old Sep 6th 2023, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

I used Drive4Fun many times in the past. I found them totally reliable. On one occasion i found a broken lens when I returned the car, I pointed it out to them as it wasnt marked on the check list. They checked on the previous office copies and it was marked on them. They did not bill me. A less honest company would have done.
There used to be a company called Travelrent, I believe they are called LG now. Travelrent were also very good.
Old Sep 8th 2023, 8:17 am
Just Joined

mbooth11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Always have used Zest with no problems.
Old Sep 9th 2023, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Before we bought our car we also hired cars through Zest. They operate like a comparison site and will give quotes from several hire car companies. Drive4fun was one of their recommended car companies we used in the past. We had no problems with them.
Old Sep 9th 2023, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the additional replies. It's good to get back to this website and be able to get feedback from people with real experience with travel issues in the Algarve. My wife and I have enjoyed long stays here ( up to two winter months; returning to Canada for the remaining 6 winter months)since 2000. Some friends and neighbours have asked so many questions about this little talked about country in our travel media. A few years ago, I compiled an overview of Portugal and the Algarve including photos of place we have visited/stayed. It is now up to ten pages + about 100 photos and a number of people have booked travel after reading it and also passed it on to their friends. It has been a wonderful experience in a safe, welcoming environment with a delightful winter climate, good accommodations and reasonable costs and it all started with a travel article in a Toronto newspaper in 1995. It was read by my wife who was attracted by the description of Albufeira, a small hotel and the surrounding countryside. It tooks us a few years following my retirement to use the services of a travel agent and embark on our "voyage of discovery" to a beautiful cliff top complex outside Ferragudo and the beginning of more than 20 years visiting Portugal, Azores and Madeira. We are looking forward to our return after our hasty departure in March 2020!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.