Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car rental recommendation?

Car rental recommendation?

Old May 3rd 2022, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car rental recommendation?

Can anyone recommend/advise on car rental for a month. I need something simple to get around looking at properties and areas.

Any advice is welcome. local companies, tips, dos and donts, locations.

I just popped in the month of July (whole month) in one of the agencies for pickup at Faro and it came out at an eyewatering 3000 euro. Surprised me as I usually get a month rental in the UK for under 1000 (half that before covid). Do you think it would be better to rent in a non-touristy area (or less touristy) such as Lisbon? Are there any things I should be aware of? I had a bad experience with additional insurance charges in Palma airport on my last visit.

Thanks as always

Last edited by June W; May 3rd 2022 at 9:22 am.
Old May 3rd 2022, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car rental recommendation?

Try Luz cars in Lagos. But I wish you good luck because there are not enough cars available. The hire car companies were forced to sell their cars as there was no demand during covid.
Old May 3rd 2022, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

I always rent via this broker, they usually have the cheapest prices and it's very useful to be able to compare the different companies and car types all on one page: https://www.autoeurope.eu/

Had a quick look, about the cheapest (for a company I would trust) for month of July is 2100 (oddly, economy is cheaper than mini). Some companies have a max of 28 days, so you might find a better deal by splitting into two rentals (or even two rentals from different companies). Play with the dates a bit, compare the day rates you are paying. Sometimes it makes little difference, sometimes it makes a big difference, worth a try at least

Take out a Car Hire Excess insurance cover (you'll find several companies in the UK offering them) and then decline the extra excess cover from the car insurance company, you'll find it way cheaper. One possible exception to this - if you decide to hire with one of the cheapo companies (like Goldcar, Firefly for example) then it could be worth taking out comprehensive cover with the company to avoid any hassle. Because they will find damage on return, even if you caused none...

Personally I'd always pick a better known brand, personally I'd trust Budget, Guerin, Avis, Europcar, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, Hertz, Enterprise (not a comprehensive list, but probably covers most of them)

If you still have the option of changing dates and coming earlier, consider doing this, you'll find the June dates considerably better. July and August are always expensive, this year especially so because of car shortages
Old May 3rd 2022, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

I got great service and an excellent price out of : https://www.rentalcars.com/

Think they are a subsidiary of Booking.com
Old May 3rd 2022, 2:50 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I agree regarding the excess insurance.... it's a no brainer when you see the charges the car rental companies levy!

If you insist on a "new" car, then you'll have to go for one of the big boys and pay for the privilege. other than that, it's all down to the local suppliers, not the "Car Rental Agency" who take your booking. I haven't rented for the last 3 years, but I always had good service from MasterKings at Faro, booked through Enjoy Car Hire. I used MasterKings well over a dozen times with no real issues - but I wouldn't vouch for other suppliers (and, of course, companies change.....)
Old May 3rd 2022, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how things are in Portugal, but a rental in France last year turned out to be half the price of a car, if you went for a small van - it suited our purposes at the time but might not be suitable for yours for instance if you have family with you and need 4 seats... Check out prices for a van if you think it might work for you.
Old May 3rd 2022, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Carjet.....I just seen Ford Ka for whole month of July for €1660. Ins excess of €1200, normal.....that would be Air Auto, who are just outside the Faro airport.

I had always used Enjoycar hire (UK broker) but looking at their prices today for July its over €1880 for similar.
Prob is they use lease cars that go back at end of lease and no new cars due to chip shortage worldwide....but its pretty crazy at €60 a day.
Pity you cant just buy an old cheapo for €1000 +insurance and park it up when finished.
Old May 3rd 2022, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I agree regarding the excess insurance.... it's a no brainer when you see the charges the car rental companies levy!

If you insist on a "new" car, then you'll have to go for one of the big boys and pay for the privilege. other than that, it's all down to the local suppliers, not the "Car Rental Agency" who take your booking. I haven't rented for the last 3 years, but I always had good service from MasterKings at Faro, booked through Enjoy Car Hire. I used MasterKings well over a dozen times with no real issues - but I wouldn't vouch for other suppliers (and, of course, companies change.....)

Yep that is who I always used for 10 years, always good service and on the airport, but just looked and not seen Mkings anywhere on enjoycar, so must be even more expensive that
AirAuto (I think they are an OK company)
Old May 3rd 2022, 4:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Yep that is who I always used for 10 years, always good service and on the airport, but just looked and not seen Mkings anywhere on enjoycar, so must be even more expensive that AirAuto (I think they are an OK company)
MasterKings are there, but I haven't done any comparison pricing. They were never the cheapest on paper, but wqrked out better overall and were more approachable (through Enjoy). Be very careful about extras and conditions.... Enjoy were the first to ban the notorious "Spanish" fuel scam, where you were forced to pay an excessive cost for a tank of fuel up front and then expected to return the car empty (!). That little trick added considerably to rental costs!
Old May 3rd 2022, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

When you have found a hire car company it's worth checking reviews. One company I would not touch with a barge pole is Gold car.
Old May 3rd 2022, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

littleyellowenterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NataHH
When you have found a hire car company it's worth checking reviews. One company I would not touch with a barge pole is Gold car.
What's wrong with Gold Car? I've always had exemplary service from them at Faro Airport.
Old May 3rd 2022, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try this longer term rental company https://www.xtracars.pt/en/

You need to get to Portimao to pick up but it seems a lot cheaper, I think the prices are less seasonal. Haven't used them personally, but they are part of a big Portuguese group, also does Guerin rental
Old May 4th 2022, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info, thanks a million!
Old May 4th 2022, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Ive now rented three times in the Algarve for periods between two and six months and on friends recommendation I’ve gone with auto rent each time. Very competitive pricing and super nice people to deal with. Head office in portimao and also just off airport. Agree with the excess just take out travel insurance that includes it.
Old May 4th 2022, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by littleyellowenterprise
What's wrong with Gold Car? I've always had exemplary service from them at Faro Airport.
I know people who got stung. They were bought by Europcar they might have changed?! Just read the reviews. Before we bought a car we always used Zest who only take rental firms with fair fuel policies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.