British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Car rental petrol scam (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/car-rental-petrol-scam-755706/)

MikeJ Apr 21st 2012 12:43 pm

Car rental petrol scam

I notice that some of the Portuguese car rental companies are starting to use the Spanish practices of "full-to-empty" tank for petrol and charging you for a full tank of petrol. In my view this is an out and out scam which verges on fraud. I was charged 120Euros for a full tank of petrol (at Portuguese prices) although when in Spain I was able to 'brim' the tank for 60Euros. To add salt into the wound I still had a 1/4 tank left when I returned the car (I know I should have managed it better but the weather didn't encourage excursions). I shall complain to Argus - who sourced the car for me - and ensure that I ask for a company that provides 'full-to-full' policy for future rentals. I will do the same if I use Economy or Holiday Autos too. I think everyone who gets stung like this should do the same. It's a very short term and foolish step from the rentcos as they won't get much repeat business if evrybody stops letting themselves be scammed.

Rant over - have a nice weekend.

peterfc Apr 21st 2012 3:20 pm

Re: Car rental petrol scam

A long time ago a friend got stung similar to this. What i did every time i hired a car to took a picture with my phone of the reading on the gauge and marked on the hire form that i had taken a photo also i asked for the name of the hire person.

At no time did i get anybody refuse there name or the fact i have taken a photo of the gauge on the dashboard.

Peter

MikeJ Apr 21st 2012 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by peterfc (Post 10018248)
A long time ago a friend got stung similar to this. What i did every time i hired a car to took a picture with my phone of the reading on the gauge and marked on the hire form that i had taken a photo also i asked for the name of the hire person.

At no time did i get anybody refuse there name or the fact i have taken a photo of the gauge on the dashboard.

Peter

Not sure how a photo helps?? The tank was certainly full when picked up and there are no refunds for anything remaining when returned and they add the cost of the full tank + a sizable mark-up of around 40% + an admin fee. As I said the petrol cost added was nearly double what the car could actually hold.

CAROL ELIZABETH Apr 21st 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 10018375)
Not sure how a photo helps?? The tank was certainly full when picked up and there are no refunds for anything remaining when returned and they add the cost of the full tank + a sizable mark-up of around 40% + an admin fee. As I said the petrol cost added was nearly double what the car could actually hold.

See my post on your Ayamonte thread about the polls where Mike raised this matter. To my way of thinking they will get u one way or the other. However it is transparency we want - in the same way it has been argued ( and to some extent won) with budget airline fares.

With this arrangement (full tank leave empty) you are told categorically there is no refund even if you are on island the size of Lanzarote.

bejaboz Apr 22nd 2012 4:25 pm

The company we use still operate with old style instructions of return the car with the fuel gauge at the same level as when you accepted the car on picking it up. Not perfect but at least it allows some flexibility. If they started to operate a full to empty system I'd find another company, as we don't tend to use a full tank during our time in PT.

MikeJ Apr 23rd 2012 7:03 am

I think we should name and shame the cmpanies that have a full-to-empty fuel policy in order to help our fellow consumers. If it's a harmless business practice then the rentcos should have no objection. Here goes.

Interrent have a full-to-full policy for rentals up to 5 days and full-to-empty for 6+ day rentals.

bejaboz Apr 23rd 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 10020534)
I think we should name and shame the cmpanies that have a full-to-empty fuel policy in order to help our fellow consumers. If it's a harmless business practice then the rentcos should have no objection. Here goes.

Interrent have a full-to-full policy for rentals up to 5 days and full-to-empty for 6+ day rentals.

Interesting, any explanation for the difference?

MikeJ Apr 23rd 2012 7:22 am

Originally Posted by bejaboz (Post 10020544)
Interesting, any explanation for the difference?

I'd guess that they have had complaints from short-term renters who cannot use a full tank in such a short period - after all you can usually drive 5-600kms on a full tank.