Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Could you help me plan a route to Coimbra please?

Could you help me plan a route to Coimbra please?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Could you help me plan a route to Coimbra please?

Hello Portugal! Need to drive from Malaga to Coimbra at the beginning of September, Michelin says no less than 8h and up to 9h45
I was hoping, even allowing for not picking up too many tickets, rather less. Which way would be easier...along the Algarve and up or up to Badajoz, across to Lisbon and up?
And while I'm at it, any reasonable but not OTT business/commercial type hotels? Plan is to go to a conference at the University so near there would be good. Many thanks
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice
Default Re: Could you help me plan a route to Coimbra please?

I've just tapped Colmenar-Coimbra into Tom-tom, and it recommends the Algarve route:

822km, 7h 46min

The estimated time does not allow for stops and assumes you can average about 110km/h on the motorway.

I've just discovered booking.com for hotels. At the moment I've made bookings but haven't yet seen the process through by actually staying anywhere.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I mentioned the two options because Michelin gives various choices, and both across and up and up and across featured!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chesterfield - Derbyshire & Cabanas as often as possible!
Golfister is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used booking.com quite a lot for road trips as you can search by map, so clearly see your route. Never had any problems with them.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Don't know if cost is an issue but I suspect tolls will be considerably more on the Algarve route as opposed to up Spain and left...
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:26 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fiona,I have a friend who lives in Coimbra,he teaches at the Uni,if you want his details to ask about accommodation,drop me a PM.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cleri
Hi Fiona,I have a friend who lives in Coimbra,he teaches at the Uni,if you want his details to ask about accommodation,drop me a PM.
Ok excellent thanks; not sure how many of us are going yet (cost of the conference tickets more an issue than tolls or petrol!!) but will get back in touch if we need info.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

arq.MarcoCarrico is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a path from google maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Vi...t=h&mra=ls&z=7

and for hotels here:
http://www.booking.com/searchresults...ity=1;src=city
Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Hello Portugal! Need to drive from Malaga to Coimbra at the beginning of September, Michelin says no less than 8h and up to 9h45
I was hoping, even allowing for not picking up too many tickets, rather less. Which way would be easier...along the Algarve and up or up to Badajoz, across to Lisbon and up?
And while I'm at it, any reasonable but not OTT business/commercial type hotels? Plan is to go to a conference at the University so near there would be good. Many thanks
Have you looked at a route up via Seville and then across either through Beja or Evora both are a bit shorter than the Algarve route but take slightly longer. Both routes have the advantage that they avoid the stupid electronic tolls on the A22, which are quite difficult to pay in that they do not have manual or PAYG gates. IFAIR the tolls up past Lisbon to Coimbra do have non-electronic means of payment.
As to hotels in Coimbra it depends which university campus you are at. If you are at the old site in the centre of Coimbra then the Ibis or similar would suit but if you are at the conference centre south of Coimbra then you might look at the Best Western. last time I was at a University conference we stayed at the Tryp - which was excellent - but the conference organisers laid on a coach to collect us in the mornings and take us back in the evenings. The Tryp is about a 10min walk from the city centre
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Have you looked at a route up via Seville and then across either through Beja or Evora both are a bit shorter than the Algarve route but take slightly longer. Both routes have the advantage that they avoid the stupid electronic tolls on the A22, which are quite difficult to pay in that they do not have manual or PAYG gates. IFAIR the tolls up past Lisbon to Coimbra do have non-electronic means of payment.
As to hotels in Coimbra it depends which university campus you are at. If you are at the old site in the centre of Coimbra then the Ibis or similar would suit but if you are at the conference centre south of Coimbra then you might look at the Best Western. last time I was at a University conference we stayed at the Tryp - which was excellent - but the conference organisers laid on a coach to collect us in the mornings and take us back in the evenings. The Tryp is about a 10min walk from the city centre
Thanks everyone. At the moment the abstract has only just been submitted, not going to hear if accepted for a while so won't be booking quite yet but it's very helpful to have all this 'tucked under the belt' so to speak, ready to organise!