Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car matriculation from UK to portugal. Mileage not in kilometres

Car matriculation from UK to portugal. Mileage not in kilometres

Old Feb 19th 2019, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

TigerMartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car matriculation from UK to portugal. Mileage not in kilometres

Hello guys, please can anyone advise on the following for me?
I am in the oh so painful process of matriculating my UK Hyundai i30 to Portugal, thinking it would save me money (ha! But too much already spent to turn back now). I have just had the technical test from an IMT approved garage. They say it ‘may’ be a problem that the mileage is in miles and not kilometres. They didn’t commit whether it would or wouldn’t. The speedometer is in both miles and kilometres but the car mileage only shows in miles. Has anyone had to have this changed to show mileage on the vehicle in kilometres? The reason I’m asking is because I have to travel a long way to a Hyundai dealership in order to get them to find and verify the engine number. The inspector could not see it at the test and I’ve just spent an hour in a garage with a mechanic trying to find it, no joy. So if I need the software changed to show the mileage in kilometres I’d like to do it on the same visit to the dealership but don’t want to request it and pay for it if it’s not necessary. Has anyone been through this and knows for certain?
many thanks
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car matriculation from UK to portugal. Mileage not in kilometres

Originally Posted by TigerMartin
Hello guys, please can anyone advise on the following for me?
I am in the oh so painful process of matriculating my UK Hyundai i30 to Portugal, thinking it would save me money (ha! But too much already spent to turn back now). I have just had the technical test from an IMT approved garage. They say it ‘may’ be a problem that the mileage is in miles and not kilometres. They didn’t commit whether it would or wouldn’t. The speedometer is in both miles and kilometres but the car mileage only shows in miles. Has anyone had to have this changed to show mileage on the vehicle in kilometres? The reason I’m asking is because I have to travel a long way to a Hyundai dealership in order to get them to find and verify the engine number. The inspector could not see it at the test and I’ve just spent an hour in a garage with a mechanic trying to find it, no joy. So if I need the software changed to show the mileage in kilometres I’d like to do it on the same visit to the dealership but don’t want to request it and pay for it if it’s not necessary. Has anyone been through this and knows for certain?
many thanks
Hi

Seven years ago i Matriculated my car and like yours it was in Miles and Kilometres and when tested it was no problem. Every test from then has been no problem.

When it's all done you will have saved the 500€ the agent would have charged you.

Peter

Last edited by peterfc; Feb 19th 2019 at 6:45 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

which test centre are you using ?

I know my engine number is impossible to see when its installed in the car , so it could be interesting when I matriculate mine
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg

I know my engine number is impossible to see when its installed in the car , so it could be interesting when I matriculate mine
I had mine done in Loule - they could read/find the engine number , had to pay a main dealer €75,- to stick it on a ramp and go underneath and check it. The Loule centre then accepted the dealer's signed document. Quite a common problem.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

mines going to be trouble then , think you need to use an endoscope to see it with engine in situ , if its possible at all.

but things have went well so far , fingers crossed they may be reasonable at the test centre I will use
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the answer about the mileage. I will leave it as it is and hope for the best then!
my engine number is impossible to see unless you take the car apart so I have to get the dealer to verify it, as the other contributor mentioned in this thread. I tried to find it with the help of a friendly mechanic and had the car up on the lift and a technical person from the manufacturer on the phone explaining the location to us and it was still impossible so it has to be this way. I believe it’s a common problem. Best of luck to you all and thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

pm me if you wish

tia
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a PT reg Mercedes.
The engine has 350,000 km on it but that hardly matters these days; a replacement engine is cheaper than a set of tires.
The body and interior are good, no rust I could find.

It's silly that they get so hung up on engine numbers.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

If the IPO inspector passed the car then he passed it & I'd be surprised if the mileage thing would be a problem now simply because it's now just a case of shuffling paper........

As for engine number....... The engine in my car doesn't have a number on it at all & the engine number on the documents is fictitious................. I just had an engraved plate with the same number made & fixed it to the bulkhead & then got a letter from the dealer stating that the none of those engines were ever numbered & that was accepted without question...... and it's never been queried by the annual IPO inspectors at all.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 7:41 am
Just Joined

The test centre is Controlauto in Loulé and the Hyundai dealership is between Faro and Olhoã
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks TM

at least I won't have to use that test centre , but feel a world of pain coming re the engine number as I think its only viewable with a boroscope if at all possible when in situ
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how old your Hyundai is but most modern computer based cars you can change the settings from mph to kph. Certainly on my Citroen it can be done quite easily via the touch screen.

More astute car producers may have made it a dealer only function via a plug in so they get a payment out of it.

Old Mar 21st 2019, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well had the type b test on my car and all went well!

tester adjustment of headlights was required but still have rhd headlights fitted but levers in correct position over lamps for european running and all ok.

Engine number not visible without boroscope but that wasn't an issue , they just used the number from the v5.

Lpg installation was of no concern to them and wasn't inspected at all.

All hurdles jumped quite easily so far , next step more paperwork shuffling at imt then customs following that..
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

No problem with my Jaguar XKR in Coimbra. They just wrotethe mileage as kilometres, but the did insist on seeing the VIN in all three places. Biggest hassle was having to go to the embassy in Lisbon to swear that I had owned the car in the UK. That, plus the ridiculous cost of right hand dip headlamps and the faff of obtaining the certificate of conformity.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

waterhobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly - hassle. Sell in Uk, buy in Portugal, much easier and less stressful. Can/ generally will, work out cheaper in the long term if you check out the "road tax" on the newly imported car as it will be much higher than the equivalent Portuguese car that has been here from new. I know Portuguese cars are generally more expensive than the UK equivalent but in the long term it makes sense. Plus you'll be driving with the wheel on the correct side.