Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Renewal

Car Insurance Renewal

Old May 28th 2018, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Car Insurance Renewal

Got the renewal quote for the car, seemed pricey so got some alternative quotes. I was right, the existing insurer wants €100 more than the cheapest. Next down was €20 more than the cheapest and the 2 lowest have 85c between then. Cover (3rd party due to car age) is pretty much identical. So I guess the choice down to ease of claim if required. Tranquilidade vs Zurich. Any experiences of either?
Old May 29th 2018, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Renewal

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Got the renewal quote for the car, seemed pricey so got some alternative quotes. I was right, the existing insurer wants €100 more than the cheapest. Next down was €20 more than the cheapest and the 2 lowest have 85c between then. Cover (3rd party due to car age) is pretty much identical. So I guess the choice down to ease of claim if required. Tranquilidade vs Zurich. Any experiences of either?
Try Ibex, they have an office in Tavira. Good service and reasonable
Old May 29th 2018, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Try Ibex, they have an office in Tavira. Good service and reasonable
Thanks, yes I did approach them but on this occasion they couldn’t compete with my lowest two, maybe next time. Hence the question as it’s now down to quality of service not price.
Old May 29th 2018, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Think about service as well as price. We're Fidelidade agents and having worked with a few companies as well as Fidelidade, we're quite happy to be exclusive with them and understandable why they are by far the largest company in Portugal. Stick with rather Fidelidade, Allianz, Liberty, Generalli or Zurich in my opinion.
Old May 29th 2018, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Think about service as well as price. We're Fidelidade agents and having worked with a few companies as well as Fidelidade, we're quite happy to be exclusive with them and understandable why they are by far the largest company in Portugal. Stick with rather Fidelidade, Allianz, Liberty, Generalli or Zurich in my opinion.
Felicidade were the highest quote by a country mile, almost twice the price, which is a shame as I’ve been with them for over 5 years. Perhaps because it was a renewal they did the usual. I’m going with one of the others, Zurich or Tranquilidade..

Old May 29th 2018, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Felicidade were the highest quote by a country mile, almost twice the price, which is a shame as I’ve been with them for over 5 years. Perhaps because it was a renewal they did the usual. I’m going with one of the others, Zurich or Tranquilidade..

Very strange, I take it you made a claim? One thing about them they never hike the price up without reason, ok 20€ or so might happen but surprising that you found them so much more expensive. If you are going with one of those 2, I would suggest Zurich over Tranquilidade.
Old May 29th 2018, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Depends whether you are dealing direct or via an agent.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very strange, I take it you made a claim? One thing about them they never hike the price up without reason, ok 20€ or so might happen but surprising that you found them so much more expensive. If you are going with one of those 2, I would suggest Zurich over Tranquilidade.
No claims and I’ve been with them 5 years. Looking back it’s been pretty much the same price over the 5 years so my fault for not checking earlier.

Old May 29th 2018, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike
Tranquilidade direct and Zurich, much cheaper, through an agent. Weird ?
Old May 30th 2018, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mike
This should not affect price, direct or agent, the discount table is the same. However I have seen us be cheaper than the company direct, I guess as the company worker get's their wage regardless they may not are so much that they get the deal/keep the customer as much as an agent would. A good agent will also fight your corner, the shirt & tie in the company won't!

Last edited by gedscottish; May 30th 2018 at 8:23 am.
Old May 30th 2018, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

No claims and I’ve been with them 5 years. Looking back it’s been pretty much the same price over the 5 years so my fault for not checking earlier.

If you are happy with them outside price, why not speak to them and tell them you can get it much cheaper. Is it an agent?
Old May 30th 2018, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you are happy with them outside price, why not speak to them and tell them you can get it much cheaper. Is it an agent?
It was originally an agent but the renewal notices come direct. Don’t really have ‘happiness’ view as I’ve never claimed. I think I’ll go with Zurich as life’s too short to waste more time on it and they have a decent reputation. Thanks for in input.
Old May 30th 2018, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was originally an agent but the renewal notices come direct. Don’t really have ‘happiness’ view as I’ve never claimed. I think I’ll go with Zurich as life’s too short to waste more time on it and they have a decent reputation. Thanks for in input.
Yes, renewal comes direct, if it's not direct debit the agents name will be on the bottom left of that renewal letter. Not that it's worth paying the double for, but check the driver protection cover, you may be going from VItal 500.000 to 10.000 or 5000€. Zurich are decent for sure, Tranquil.... no comment!
Old May 30th 2018, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, renewal comes direct, if it's not direct debit the agents name will be on the bottom left of that renewal letter. Not that it's worth paying the double for, but check the driver protection cover, you may be going from VItal 500.000 to 10.000 or 5000€. Zurich are decent for sure, Tranquil.... no comment!
Thanks Ged, never thought about that or even noticed. Who would have thought insurance could be so complicated. Zurich it is then.