Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car Hire (etc) in Portugal

Car Hire (etc) in Portugal

Old Jul 25th 2020, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Hire (etc) in Portugal

ps another concern...even the major dealerships in smaller towns cannot provide the documentation in English...Im very nervous signing such paperwork !
Old Jul 26th 2020, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car Hire (etc) in Portugal

Originally Posted by Red Eric
There's the final stage of Champions League football coming to Lisbon in August if you fancy keeping your photography eye in ....
Errr... that sounds like footie... not my thing. Too slow for me. Golf tournaments are far more exciting
Old Jul 26th 2020, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
At least the advantage of Lisbon Airport is that it sends you driving out directly onto the main highway across the north of the city, then heading for the Algarve you would go over the northern bridge over the Tejo (Tagus) river and get onto the motorway system fairly easily, without the hassle of going into the centre of a big city. Get Google Maps onto your smartphone and follow .... Motorway tolls to Algarve from Lisbon ARE EXPENSIVE and avoiding the motorways would involve a long and weary journey on not very good road surfaces! - so frankly the option of the train to the Algarve might be worth exploring ... I believe the train station is actually AT the airport ...
If you could move your dates towards the end of August, and then into September you might benefit all round - car hire, rental places, pleasant admin staff, but still with some holiday activity in bars and hotels etc.
A look on google maps seems to suggest a metro line into and out of the airport and a railway line not that far away, which I suspect is linked somewhere. A similar search shows a toll fee of about Euro 25 between Lisbon and Lagos. Apart from the unexpectedly high car hire cost I'm still struggling to find any suitable long term lets that start before September. Sounds like everyone's on holiday...
Old Jul 26th 2020, 6:15 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
A look on google maps seems to suggest a metro line into and out of the airport and a railway line not that far away, which I suspect is linked somewhere.
It is - at Orient for greatest convenience, since it's only 3 stops away and no changes.

Originally Posted by sportpix
Errr... that sounds like footie... not my thing. Too slow for me. Golf tournaments are far more exciting
You're one of the old-fashioned types, aren't you? "Watch the birdie"
Old Jul 26th 2020, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
It is - at Orient for greatest convenience, since it's only 3 stops away and no changes.

You're one of the old-fashioned types, aren't you? "Watch the birdie"
Mmmm. Not sure about old fashioned. I don’t disco dance any more, though. And I don’t watch what happens to the ball. I watch the player for his/her reaction.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of golf on the Algarve of course ...
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Plenty of golf on the Algarve of course ...
Which sadly reminds me that I should have been in Tokyo right now shooting the Olympic golf competition instead of sitting here wondering if I will be able to get out of here next week with Covid cases rising rapidly in HK and elsewhere...
Old Jul 27th 2020, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Expect to plan in 14 days isolation in every country you spend time in ! Hope it all works out OK for you.