Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car boots in Portugal?

Car boots in Portugal?

Old Jan 31st 2023, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ultramarine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car boots in Portugal?

Is there a list of car boots in Portugal for each area, similar to British carbootjunction.com?
Old Feb 1st 2023, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car boots in Portugal?

Presumably you mean car-boot sales ... charity-run, and such like. These are not a "thing" in Portuguese culture but can exist in some few "ex-pat" areas often as a one-off for a particular cause. There are some town markets where folk can set up a stall (as a fee of course) to sell off second-hand goods but how they would be controlled/licenced I am not at all sure. Most unwanted stuff is either given to charities or left at the bins where anyone who fancies them can pick them up and take them home ... anything left is collected by the refuse collectors and dealt with.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 1:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I think the key phrase from the above is "not a "thing" in Portuguese culture".

The assumption that all things are equal and can be compared with the UK (or anywhere else) is the first mistake. We all know that Portugal is different, in some ways better, in others not so much - but it's all part of the experience. Best to embrace it and move on.... This train of thought works in other areas too..... "the Portuguese language is difficult, because it's not pronounced how it's spelled". Wrong. Portuguese is far more "standard" than English, has far fewer dialects and is pronounced EXACTLY as it's spelled - IF you learn the rules. However, if you think it should be pronounced according to the (very few) rule covering English, then..... whoops!! Of course, the same goes for most other languages, but hey....

"You can't compare Portuguese car insurance to British car insurance" Correct. Portuguese car insurance tends to cover the car, not the person driving and most have breakdown cover included. So good luck with any comparison. etc., etc. Equally, there seems little to be gained by going direct than going through a broker.... particularly if you actually need to use the insurance. This varies of course, but my broker was invaluable in getting me a payment from my insurance company almost immediately the claim had been agreed, as opposed to the 3 months delay suggested by the insurers themselves....

Yet, for some reason, the opposite is true when it comes to construction or planning - or buying property. Here the assumption seems to be that the UK is far stricter than Portugal and you can cut corners all over the place. This is almost always incorrect - as is the brilliant idea to check for a builder on the internet and employ one from Porto to work on your house in the Algarve, because he's cheaper. I learned to my cost that you have to look very, very carefully before going for an out-of-area supplier.... they don't know the local rules and you'd be amazed how variances in feriadas, etc. mean you go weeks with nobody doing any work. Equally, when something goes wrong, it's good to be able to shout at someone directly, particularly as we all know that email communication is virtual....

Still, I guess it's all a learning curve... we can only try to help.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I'd call it a car boot sale but there seems to be a Saturday market outside the Tavira Municipal market, where people seem to sell the kind of 2nd hand stuff you'd find at a car boot sale. It's not every Saturday from what I can tell. Probably worth looking up.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

I’m fairly sure that there is a second hand sale in the swimming pool/sports centre car park in Lagos on the first Sunday in every month. Details of such things are usually listed in the Portugal News newspaper
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

These rotate around their customary sites around Lisboa, Saaaafff of the river, Sintra, Carcavelos etc
Its a boot sale
We have done a couple before COVID, just like ESSEX

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sWzsA-UI8vazwb

Feira da Bagageira - Calendário das Feiras.
Ficha de inscrição da Feira da Bagageira para 2023
https://forms.gle/Q7k6ECyYLHPLfrRr5
Feiras/Datas Regulares
1*sábado - Barreiro
1*domingo - Carcavelos,
2*sábado - Terrugem (Conc.Sintra) e Alvalade
2*domingo - Corroios, Cascais, S.Pedro Sintra
3*sábado - Telheiras/Jardim junto ao Metro
3*domingo - Cascais/Mercado da Vila
4*domingo - São Pedro de Sintra
Último sábado mês - Olivais
Último domingo mês - Benfica-Fonte Nova
Quando há cinco domingos no mês, temos feira em Alhandra no quarto domingo.

Last edited by Midgo; Feb 2nd 2023 at 8:59 pm.