Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Canary Islands wants EU to waive Brexit rules

Canary Islands wants EU to waive Brexit rules

Old Dec 18th 2022, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canary Islands wants EU to waive Brexit rules

"It's arrogant to stick two fingers up to the EU, vote to become a third country and then complain when you are treated like a third country national".

I find it hard to believe that anyone living/owning property in the EU would vote for Brexit. If they did they really want to do their homework instead of voting for something they have no idea what consequences follow. I'd say serve them right but I still have to suffer the fallout from their stupidity.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Mornin.
Well it might be an excellent summary of the current situation, but does answer the question of .......why was this done in the first place.
What possible benefit is there in adopting this only 90 days at one stretch, but allowing 180 days in a year...what was the rationale of choosing 90 days.
I assume there must have been some sort of reasoned logic............???
Why not ask them? You can send an email to the Commission via Europe Direct an you will receive a reply within a few days.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
"It's arrogant to stick two fingers up to the EU, vote to become a third country and then complain when you are treated like a third country national".

I find it hard to believe that anyone living/owning property in the EU would vote for Brexit. If they did they really want to do their homework instead of voting for something they have no idea what consequences follow. I'd say serve them right but I still have to suffer the fallout from their stupidity.
I have been involved with Spain and Portugal since 1998 and the vast majority voted Remain but I know there were quite a few Leave voters in Spain. Fortunately, they have since returned to the UK, probably because they became pariahs.

Old Dec 18th 2022, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article written in the Telegraph today.
Canary Islands to ask EU to remove 90 day stay ruling for digital nomads and home owning Brits on the Islands.
Not about Portugal today, but could be in the future, if successful.
Hungary recently created a residential status of 'digital nomad' It's for a fixed period, renewable once, and has conditions of proof of employment and a minimum income. Probably seen as a way to tax the growing number of digital nomads moving around and working in the black economy to avoid paying any tax anywhere.
However if Hungary can do it why not others?
Oh and AFAIK you can have duel residency.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

So still no understanding of the reasons behind the 90/180 rule. I have Googled the question but cannot find any reference to it.
Lots of explanation of how it works, but no reasoning or explanation for its introduction.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that I dont understand is, if there is a 90 da/180 rule, how come the French dont arrest all of the people camping for months at a time, in the northern beach towns?
Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Oh and AFAIK you can have duel residency.
Pistols or swords (or both!)?
Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that I dont understand is, if there is a 90 da/180 rule, how come the French dont arrest all of the people camping for months at a time, in the northern beach towns?
They would probably like to deport them all - but that's proving tricky!
Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

But what happens when a non EU person goes to leave a Schengen Area country having overstayed by a day,?
Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:53 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

So still no understanding of the reasons behind the 90/180 rule. I have Googled the question but cannot find any reference to it.
Lots of explanation of how it works, but no reasoning or explanation for its introduction.
I wouldn't imagine it's worth too much head-scratching over, since there probably won't be any one reason why it's specified thus. I expect it's just a consensus between the members as to what constitutes a short visit, with 90 days max coinciding with the much more loosely applied 90 day visit limit before residence formalities need to be initiated in the case of citizens of member states. Applying the rule over a 180 day period makes it both more flexible and clearer in many ways than having a set maximum per entry, with entry being allowed or denied at the discretion of the immigration officer. And 180 days in a rolling year max keeps the visitor on the right side of being mainly resident elsewhere.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:59 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Is it because they're not short stay visitors who've had their arrival recorded when they arrived through a regular point of entry?

I guess if you want to evade the 90 / 180 rule that could be a route worth exploring.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

But what happens when a non EU person goes to leave a Schengen Area country having overstayed by a day,?
I don't know if they're bothered by a day or so but presumably a ban from re entering Schengen for a period?
Old Dec 18th 2022, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've still got a defunct British passport knocking about which I never use so perhaps I should pretend to be British again, get a stamp, overstay, see what happens and report back!!!

Seriously though, with the introduction of EES, third country nationals will be penalised for overstaying unless there are extenuating circumstances. The penalty will consist of a ban and a fine.

Even without EES, you will be penalised by the border force on exit if your incoming stamp indicates you have stayed beyond 90 days. If only Farage had put that on the side of a bus.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 1:17 pm
Polished expat

I suspect the questioner was being disingenuous
Old Dec 18th 2022, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Is it because they're not short stay visitors who've had their arrival recorded when they arrived through a regular point of entry?

I guess if you want to evade the 90 / 180 rule that could be a route worth exploring.

But presumably even the French could have recorded them when permanent camps were set up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.