Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me?

Can anyone help me?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Mistyrain will become famous soon enoughMistyrain will become famous soon enough
Default Can anyone help me?

We are New Zealanders, who will be spending winter (3-6 months min) possibly longer, in the Algarve. Consequently, as we are non-EU members, we will be entering on a visitors 90 allowance (no visa required). I'm aware that you need a residents permit for opening any utility accounts, and I guess this would apply to any bank accounts. I am pretty sure I can apply for a residents permit once we arrive and I think we have up to 30 days to do this. I am not having much luck with getting through to the Consulate here in London, so flying blind a bit. But, in the meantime, until that happens, can any landlords tell me do they generally keep utulities in their own names and tenants pay directly to them, or if not, what normally happens?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:58 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help me?

Originally Posted by Mistyrain
We are New Zealanders, who will be spending winter (3-6 months min) possibly longer, in the Algarve. Consequently, as we are non-EU members, we will be entering on a visitors 90 allowance (no visa required). I'm aware that you need a residents permit for opening any utility accounts, and I guess this would apply to any bank accounts. I am pretty sure I can apply for a residents permit once we arrive and I think we have up to 30 days to do this. I am not having much luck with getting through to the Consulate here in London, so flying blind a bit. But, in the meantime, until that happens, can any landlords tell me do they generally keep utulities in their own names and tenants pay directly to them, or if not, what normally happens?
I'm a UK Landlord. Are you asking about Portugal or UK tenancys?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Mistyrain will become famous soon enoughMistyrain will become famous soon enough

Portugal. We have been living in the UK for 10 years, but it's just a bit confusing because apparently there are only 87 Kiwis living in Portugal!!! lol!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 4:10 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I'm surprised there's that many!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:17 pm
Banned

Prodigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I'm surprised there's that many!
Yes, kiwis are a rare fruit in Portugal
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:13 am
Just Joined

So I guess I still have to keep calling soccer football and keep quiet about rugby lol!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Prodigal son
Yes, kiwis are a rare fruit in Portugal
that has reminded me....can you get kiwi fruit in France/Spain/Portugal anywhere really ...sorry for changing the topic but seeing kiwi and fruit used in the same sentence reminded me
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kate45
that has reminded me....can you get kiwi fruit in France/Spain/Portugal anywhere really ...sorry for changing the topic but seeing kiwi and fruit used in the same sentence reminded me
We have kiwi's in our garden and I can't eat them as im allergic to them
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gedscottish
We have kiwi's in our garden and I can't eat them as im allergic to them
Fantastic ......My youngest child loves them
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:25 am
Just Joined

They are brilliant for using in marinades....they break down tough meat!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:25 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep,you can buy them anywhere,or if you live near Ged go and pillage his trees
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Here's a silly question, but realistically, what sort of temperatures could I expect in the Algarve over winter? I'm in the middle of doing some throwing out of "London winter clothes"!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:46 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

So I guess I still have to keep calling soccer football and keep quiet about rugby lol!!!!
Portugal is sending a team to the RWC - ha!ha!ha!

Luckily, I support my other homeland's team - the ones who are going to kick your team's arses - again

Last edited by Redlippie; Sep 4th 2007 at 12:49 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:51 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a silly question, but realistically, what sort of temperatures could I expect in the Algarve over winter? I'm in the middle of doing some throwing out of "London winter clothes"!
It can get bloody cold!!!!! even tho I suppose Im acclimatised and probably feel it more than you would,usually evenings and nights,as soon as the sun goes down,daytime is ok.
You will need thick jumpers,sweatshirts and even.....coats!!!!! t hee
I was wearing a scarf last winter.brrrrrrrrrrr
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:52 pm

It can get bloody cold! Same here in Florida land...freezing some years - I have the heating on for weeks at a time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.