Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Cabanas de Tavira

Cabanas de Tavira

Old Jan 4th 2024, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cabanas de Tavira

Was quite shocked to see on the TV a day or so back, a video of thugs kicking and beating an Immigrant(according to the TV)in Cabanas de Tavira. My memory of there was a small village popular with tourists. How the Algarve has changed, unfortunately not for the better(of course this happens anywhere) but before the tourist boom it was a lovely area.Peaceful, and you never heard much of that sort of thing. It's almost unrecognisable now. One reason we didn't return to live there.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cabanas de Tavira

Seems the guy was of Indian origin but no details of why, in their minds, he deserved a beating. Algarve towns still far safer than many UK ones in the early hours, where even the police can be attacked. https://www.portugalresident.com/ind...nas-de-tavira/
Old Jan 5th 2024, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

There was a spate of muggings there about five years ago with tourists targeted by two Portuguese blokes. A bloke I know took a beating and had his personal items stolen. Sadly it had a major affect on him and he returned to the UK within three months.

​​​​​​There was an expanding population of Indians moving into the area to work on the land, perhaps some tensions are bubbling up.

Not something you want to see anywhere but sadly it happens.
Old Jan 5th 2024, 1:11 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Such things can happen..... and so much has changed in Portugal over the past decade that even whilst it still plays catch-up with other places, issues like this will arise. SWMBO told me that there was a spate of assaults on rural properties before Christmas... again, something we are not used to, but something that happens regularly in other countries.

The truth of the matter is that nowhere can be insulated from the corrosion of criminality - in my area of Suffolk, violent crime was almost unknown when I moved here 20-odd years ago...... but it has increased by nearly a third in just six years - that's an extra 4000 reports. The Algarve is under multiple pressures, from the disproportionate wealth of some foreign residents to the increased use of foreign labour, so crime is likely to increase...... but it has not come anywhere near the levels of my rural county. While it's hard to get a one-to-one comparison, the Portugal Resident reported 876 cases of violent crime in 2022, an increase of 23.9% over 2021, but lower than in 2019 and 23% lower than 10 years ago. Overall, violent crime amounts to 3.6% of all crime in the Algarve, which is still lower than the national rate of 3.9% in Portugal as a whole.
Old Jan 5th 2024, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on Macliam.

We have done rural Wales and Bristol City Centre. Rural Wales was fantastic but not without crime - poaching, theft, etc. Bristol - well, the circling helicopters told quite a story. I don't expect no crime but it's good to know that Portugal has low crime.

Yes, the Cabanas incident is unpleasant and shocking but I think it's a good thing that people can be shocked as opposed to glossing over something because it's a regular occurrence.

Last edited by Shanorme; Jan 5th 2024 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2024, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Such things can happen..... and so much has changed in Portugal over the past decade that even whilst it still plays catch-up with other places, issues like this will arise. SWMBO told me that there was a spate of assaults on rural properties before Christmas... again, something we are not used to, but something that happens regularly in other countries.

The truth of the matter is that nowhere can be insulated from the corrosion of criminality - in my area of Suffolk, violent crime was almost unknown when I moved here 20-odd years ago...... but it has increased by nearly a third in just six years - that's an extra 4000 reports. The Algarve is under multiple pressures, from the disproportionate wealth of some foreign residents to the increased use of foreign labour, so crime is likely to increase...... but it has not come anywhere near the levels of my rural county. While it's hard to get a one-to-one comparison, the Portugal Resident reported 876 cases of violent crime in 2022, an increase of 23.9% over 2021, but lower than in 2019 and 23% lower than 10 years ago. Overall, violent crime amounts to 3.6% of all crime in the Algarve, which is still lower than the national rate of 3.9% in Portugal as a whole.
Yes, 'While it's hard to get a one-to-one comparison'

The thing is, how can you compare two sets of statistics (UK vs PT, or over the years) when they are collected differently - I dont just mean the way they are categorised or bureaucracy type things but what happens if in one country / decade the police dont bother to do anything, even recording things and in the other they are more diligent?
I mean China hardly had any Covid cases

Also,
I have been mugged 3 times in Lisbon with various weapons including syringes and never in North Essex (or anywhere else in the world), and I have even been known to go right into the centre of Clacton (i'm not sure if sunny days or dark nights are more scary there)
There was a shooting in front of my house in Principe Real but I feel really safe in Lisbon
I wouldnt even dream of going to Colchester after dark now - it has doubled in size (mostly London & S. Essex escapees) and is no longer the Sudbury type place I remember from the 80's
But way back then I had my jaw broken in two places by a squadie on a night out to celebrate my 21st there was no trouble, no confrontation he was just taking pot shots on the dancefloor as people went past him ......
When I lived in Germany, girls thought nothing of moving around the city alone at night alone whereas I remember girls having to be 'walked home' in the UK - but the stats dont reflect such a marked difference between the country (if you can interpret the stats properly)

Yes, lots of the above contradictory

I think it mostly depends on how the media portray it, and how we let ourselves interpret it

The only certainty is that everything gets worse as you get older (both 'just in your mind' and definitely in your body)
Old Feb 6th 2024, 12:16 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the statistics are unlikely to be reliable, but perhaps they show trends.

One problem is - do people victims of violent robbery ( please don't use the term 'mugging' which I feel places the blame on the victim ) actually report the crimes to the police ?
In Lisbon or the Algarve ?

A regular poster on YouTube ( name Dave ) from the US reported a couple of days ago being attacked by 2 or 3 men in Aliados in Porto around midnight - could have been much worse had not a couple of guardian angels intervened.
He said ( bizarrely to my mind ) that he would not mention their ethnicity.

However, he gave the impression of simply not even thinking about telling the police.
Yet had he done so at the time there would have been a very good chance of arresting the culprits.
I know it is inconvenient etc., but really these things have to be reported.

What is the situation now in Lisbon in terms of safe streets at night for people on their own ?

Are the police even in evidence on the streets, or have they disappeared as in England ?