Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying "Things" in the UK

Buying "Things" in the UK

Old Feb 5th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying "Things" in the UK

If you don't supply the paperwork PT customs asks for, your parcel simply doesn't clear.
You can write whatever you want, but unless you have an invoice so they can easily levy the tax, you will not receive your parcel.

I have 2 items with Direct transport, at their UK depot. They wrote to tell me they're waiting for their customs agent to inform them how to declare and clear second hand items, particularly ebay items.

Probably a system will emerge from the fog, and I'll be able to pay the tax and get my goods. But it's quite possible I'll never get these things.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

And then there is this sad tale from Portugal News
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...4vi64wyf8YQkM8
Old Feb 9th 2021, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All
I have a parcel on it's way over to me from the UK After Brexit goods sent out of the UK face Taxes and fees and on the 4th February i had to pay to have my parcel sent to me.
The fee including charges was 19€ on on the document below it's marked as Duty paid.
What happens when it arrives at the Customs in Portugal i don't know. A similar parcel from Hungary arrived without any hold up and no taxes or fees.
Peter

Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Hungary in the EU?
Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Isn't Hungary in the EU?
Yes.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yes.
So free movement of people and goods!
Old Feb 10th 2021, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some things from there; Lithuania too.
There are 2 problems; search language and willingness to post.

For car parts I find the part number and use it as a search term, avoiding language altogether. Sometimes I search for items in multiple languages, but that's really tedious.

Then we get to the post problem; 3/4 of sellers just won't post outside their country, or when they do the charges are too high to be interesting. Often it takes a long time just to find the post conditions and charges.

It was the same with UK sellers, but then I used one of the transport company addresses (Direct transport) to get around the problem.

I hope EU webshop and ebay sellers notice this opportunity and get competitive.

And don't think it's just us expats; I know Portuguese people who were buying from UK webshops too.

Maybe there will even be sharp priced PT webshops some day!

Be careful, some people have set up webshops but don't actually stock the goods they supposedly sell. I found that in fine text at the bottom of the page just before I was going to order.
Even Worton and Radio Popular did that.

A shop I tried to get some electronic components from seemed to have nothing in stock at all, but only informed you that they didn't actually have your items at the last page before checkout.
Mouser.pt apparently has brick and mortar stores in Lisbon + Porto, but they mailed my order from Germany. Not really cheap, but it was incredibly fast (and they have stock).

I bought a duvet online from The Portugal Linen Shop in Alvor. That went ok. The physical shop is closed but you can still buy online and receive by mail.

Old Feb 11th 2021, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lentisc
Have you tried buying mens size 11 or womens size 8 equivalent shoes in Portugal?
Have you tried nipping over to Huelva or up to Lisbon?

El Corte in both locations may have what you need?
Old Feb 11th 2021, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I bought some things from there; Lithuania too.
There are 2 problems; search language and willingness to post.

For car parts I find the part number and use it as a search term, avoiding language altogether. Sometimes I search for items in multiple languages, but that's really tedious.

Then we get to the post problem; 3/4 of sellers just won't post outside their country, or when they do the charges are too high to be interesting. Often it takes a long time just to find the post conditions and charges.

It was the same with UK sellers, but then I used one of the transport company addresses (Direct transport) to get around the problem.

I hope EU webshop and ebay sellers notice this opportunity and get competitive.

And don't think it's just us expats; I know Portuguese people who were buying from UK webshops too.

Maybe there will even be sharp priced PT webshops some day!

Be careful, some people have set up webshops but don't actually stock the goods they supposedly sell. I found that in fine text at the bottom of the page just before I was going to order.
Even Worton and Radio Popular did that.

A shop I tried to get some electronic components from seemed to have nothing in stock at all, but only informed you that they didn't actually have your items at the last page before checkout.
Mouser.pt apparently has brick and mortar stores in Lisbon + Porto, but they mailed my order from Germany. Not really cheap, but it was incredibly fast (and they have stock).

I bought a duvet online from The Portugal Linen Shop in Alvor. That went ok. The physical shop is closed but you can still buy online and receive by mail.
The company is actually called MAUSER.PT.

I've used their shops in Freixeira and off Avenida do Brasil in Lisbon.

Very knowledgeable and usually good stocks.

The other option is to use webshops over the border in Spain.

We ordered a wooden garden shed which we couldn't find here from Spain last year.

Delivered in 48hrs.

I've done the same for acquiring 2nd hand laptops.

Many Spanish webshops are now including delivery to Portugal now in their options.

For books, one can always try bertrand.pt, the webshop of the oldest open bookshop in the world in Lisbon.

If you have the ISBN number, they can often order it for you.

The general rule now should be DO NOT ORDER FROM THE UK!

TELL FAMILY AND FRIENDS NOT TO SEND GIFTS:

...and if anyone reading this supported BREXIT, hang your head and crawl back into your hole! You were warned!!
Old Feb 11th 2021, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
The company is actually called MAUSER.PT.

I've used their shops in Freixeira and off Avenida do Brasil in Lisbon.

Very knowledgeable and usually good stocks.

The other option is to use webshops over the border in Spain.

We ordered a wooden garden shed which we couldn't find here from Spain last year.

Delivered in 48hrs.

I've done the same for acquiring 2nd hand laptops.

Many Spanish webshops are now including delivery to Portugal now in their options.

For books, one can always try bertrand.pt, the webshop of the oldest open bookshop in the world in Lisbon.

If you have the ISBN number, they can often order it for you.

The general rule now should be DO NOT ORDER FROM THE UK!

TELL FAMILY AND FRIENDS NOT TO SEND GIFTS:

...and if anyone reading this supported BREXIT, hang your head and crawl back into your hole! You were warned!!
I realised this option recently. I found Wordsworth Classic editions for 3eu, and another recently published HB in UK/US for more or less equivalent to price at exchange rate. Very surprised, and chuffed. And free postage over 15eu!
Old Feb 11th 2021, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

This might be useful for anyone moving personal property from the UK to the EU: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ...23:0057:EN:PDF

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean it will happen in practice but it is what should happen.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
Have you tried nipping over to Huelva or up to Lisbon?

El Corte in both locations may have what you need?
Sorry, but previous experience shows that Spanish shoe sellers also largely provide for their populations - you may have noticed that the vast majority of spanish folk have small feet ..... In Spain it was rare to find big shoes except in Decathlon, and even there now they are the exception with very limited range in the big ones.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Better luck shopping in Germany or German online shops, assuming you can get it delivered without drama, for larger shoe sizes.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I tried on several size 46/11UK in El Corte in Lisbon. Also in several independent shops around the city.
If you re talking international, non-Spanish brands, very easy to find (but even in Camper, that international Spanish casual brand)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.