Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying a property in Gois

Buying a property in Gois

Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

SusanLorrimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a property in Gois

Thank you, i have been cheeky enough to ask Peter on my reply message!
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SusanLorrimer
Hi
Thank you very much for your reply. The house is Casa Folgado, you can find it on Propertyunder20k, reference PD0344. the builder's name is Jose Goncalves. The estate agent is Nuno Fernandes, Rua Antonio de Almeida Freire, Colmeal, Gois. He is bringing a builder who says that he can make the property new for 10,000 which includes part of the roof, front of house, floor of outside patio and a bedroom floor where there has been a leak. He says windows will costs 900 euros and door 300 euros. I am interested in the garden and if we would own all of it. We are meeting at his office at 11am on 13th August.
Kind regards
Sue
I see it here https://www.idealista.pt/en/imovel/29915694/

To be honest I don't see how someone can make the property new for 10K and to what standard?

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 5th 2021 at 12:27 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks for your reply and all the information which is very useful. The property is on the market for 12,000 euros but the estate agent said it would need 10,000 euros spent on it, then windows 900 euros and door 300 euros, plus solicitor 700 euros. Then there is IMT Tax 150, stamp duty 130, deed 350, register 250. The house is Casa Folgado (see Propertyunder20K ref: PD0344 for pictures). I'm not really keen on renting, but have researched the area and will be staying for 6 days when we come over on 12th August and meeting the estate agent at 11am on 13th.
Kind regards and thank you again
Sue
Old Aug 5th 2021, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue

The pictures don't look to bad however with all the belonging left by the previous owner all around don't make it look to gook. I have just in the last month brought the property next door to me and my legal fees where only 300€ plus fees, deeds, etc.
I would be happy to go with you to see the property with you for free no need for any cost.
I have known Nuno now for over 10 years. As said previously find your own builder and also anybody introduced by an agent. Lawyers, builders don't go for free.
You arrive on the 12th we could meet on the 12th before going the next day to the house.
Peter
Old Aug 5th 2021, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
A solicitor recommended by the agent is a bad idea. That's the root of all property scams.
And definitely get an independent opinion before hiring a builder too.
Probably everyone is ok, but if you do your due diligence you'll feel better.
sorry
i have to disagree,the estate agent named will probaly use maria rosa silva in gois ,who is excellent and would no way work for the agent in the way you are implying
Old Aug 5th 2021, 1:48 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum from me

I don't want to put any sort of a dampener on your obvious enthusiasm but one thing you might want to be alive to before embarking on this to the point of no return. I have regularly been disappointed or let down by tradespeople here, who never like to say to your face that they're not interested in a job for whatever reason, or that they can't fit you in until at least 3 months' time, or 6 months, or never. I have, so many times, thanked my lucky stars that a doer-upper we had a yen for when we first arrived came to nothing on account of inaction by the estate agent cum architect / project mangement outfit that was marketing it. I reckon we could still be waiting for renovation work to be completed 15 years on.

That's not to say that properties don't get renovated (and very well in many cases I've seen) but it can be a bit hit and miss finding people who actually have the necessary skills, desire and capacity to do the job you want at the time you want it done or who can tell you realistically when they can. You're as likely, in my experience, to either get someone saying they'll come over to look at it on such and such a date and they never turn up or you might get an estimate of costs and then find the person forever uncontactable. If you're on a limited budget, buying a place that's not inhabitable and having (presumably) to rent something else at least in the short term, you might find yourself having to extend your rental contract. Or are you not in the process of moving to Portugal and simply buying / doing this property up as a holiday home / investment / whatever?

Maybe it's different in Gois. You've got some people on this forum with local knowledge there, which is a handy thing.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I see it here https://www.idealista.pt/en/imovel/29915694/

To be honest I don't see how someone can make the property new for 10K and to what standard?
my thoughts as well 3 men 1500eur week in wages 4 to 5 weeks leaves about 2 to 3 k for materials good luck with that
Old Aug 5th 2021, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

portant thing is one photo shows a new block and beam floor ,that would have needed a project from the camara dosent matter what the agent says it has to, or you may be made to take it down make sure that was done.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

also try and make sure when he does the roof you include a chimney for what ever kind of heating you choose,because going up from gois to folgado it get bitter in winter.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:15 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly for the money it looks fantastic. The views from the terrace especially.

Does the house include any of the greenery visible from the terrace ?

My main concern would be how SAFE the structure is. Is any part of it at all likely / at risk of collapsing on you when you least expect it ?

Also - is the lavatory connected to mains sewerage or to a fossa or what ?

If it is structurally sound ( or could be made so for a few thousand ) and the waste water situation is taken care of
then the rest frankly seems to me to be cosmetic.

And right from the start you have that great view to sit and admire with your cup of tea / GandT / whatever.

Do it up over time. The stuff left behind could be made use of / upcycled whatever.

It looks like a good find to me. But Peter will be much better placed to let you know how it compares to other properties in / near the town.

Oh, and the River Beach ? How far away is that ?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by santaanita
my thoughts as well 3 men 1500eur week in wages 4 to 5 weeks leaves about 2 to 3 k for materials good luck with that
From the photos there doesn't appear to be any form of heating either and the fact that it's terrace would also be a worry. The neighbouring properties seem to be empty, so what about their structure? As you say, even with low labour costs that leaves little for material costs.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your useful comment
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Moses
We will have to go and see i think
Regards
Sue
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, i will get a 2nd opinion for a builder. May look at a quote from another solicitor as well, just so i have two
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, all of this is quite confusing, but i really appreciate all the comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.