Reload this Page >

Buying a property in Gois

Buying a property in Gois

Old Aug 5th 2021, 7:21 am
Just Joined

SusanLorrimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a property in Gois

Hi
I'm going to Portugal to look at a property in Gois on 13th August 2021. The estate agent is meeting me at the property with a builder. Do i need an independent survey? Can't seem to find a surveyor. Also the property has not been lived in for 20 years, could someone possibly tell me what i should be looking for within the house and structure that could be wrong and need alot spending on it. I have a very limited budget and don't want any nasty surprises. Thank you for reading this post. Sue
Old Aug 5th 2021, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a property in Gois

Originally Posted by SusanLorrimer
Hi
I'm going to Portugal to look at a property in Gois on 13th August 2021. The estate agent is meeting me at the property with a builder. Do i need an independent survey? Can't seem to find a surveyor. Also the property has not been lived in for 20 years, could someone possibly tell me what i should be looking for within the house and structure that could be wrong and need alot spending on it. I have a very limited budget and don't want any nasty surprises. Thank you for reading this post. Sue
It doesn't matter if you are buying in Portugal, Spain or any other country, the advice is always to use your own independent surveyor, builder, architect, lawyer etc..
It's clear the estate agent wants to sell and builders are often used to take the fear away from you. This builder/person who claims to be a builder can tell you anything and if you don't speak the language, don't know the regulations and have no other contacts, you will only try to see the positive. Fact is that anything could be wrong with the property.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Susan
Welcome to Gois. 13th is the day i got my house in Gois ten years ago.
If it's been shut for 20 years it could be in good condition but also with the shutters closed who knows what it can be like. Have an open mind Is the agent from Gois??
I was lucky my house was in living condition so all i had to do was move in and start my new life.
I never had a survey done when i purchased my house and i don't know of any of the English community who has. Builders are always very busy so be prepared to have to wait to get a builder.
One clue to look for is lots of little white deposits all over the floor that's woodworm. Cracks in the wall could go back to the days the house was built and be OK but then again it could be a new problem.
Have you got a Lawyer Yet???
Can you name the village?

Peter

Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Since you don't have deep pockets and don't have knowledge in this field be very very careful. I would want an independent appraisal by someone with no connection to the agent. Don't be rushed into making any decisions.

Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Check that all relevant paperwork regarding planning permissions, boundarys ,access are avaiable to view. Double check all this with the local camara. Not sure about older properties(closed for 20 years etc),but there should still be paperwork(via agent/vendor).
Old Aug 5th 2021, 10:03 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

You maybe need to post a link to the property and / or state its description location and price.

Sometimes no one expects the stated asking price to be the one eventually paid.

The first thing would be : do you really really LIKE the house itself AND ITS LOCATION ?
Are there immediate neighbours ? Are there dogs to disturb the peace ( assuming you are looking for peace and quiet ) ?

IF IF IF you really really really like the house and location, why not consider asking if you could RENT at a a nominal rent ( almost free if the house is barely habitable ) for one to three months, with an OPtion to purchase ?

If you don't know the area and you don't know anything about houses and their repairs, then you need to pause before taking the plunge of purchasing.

Most of us would recommend strongly renting in the chosen area first, to ensure that it is one which you find agreeable long term.
ALSO, once in your desired area and pottering around / talking to people, you might well come across a place that suits you even more.

Don't buy in any kind of rush. There are taxes and lawyers' fees to pay on top of the purchase price.
By contrast, if you agree a cheapo short term rental privately with an owner there is no necessary formality or additional costs ( try to get utilities included to keep it simple ).
With a short term rental you are risking very little money and heartbreak. With a purchase ( especially if you state you do not have deep pockets ) you are risking both - bigtime.

Old Aug 5th 2021, 10:05 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

PS: somewhat bold of me but have you thought of asking Peter ( above ) if he would accompany you to the viewing ?
Might be helpful to have someone making appropriately negative noises.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
if the roof is sound you could well be ok with the rest,if not and the weather has got into the walls then the problems start,i live in gois and in my village there is about 10 empty houses the ones with good roofs i could work with the ones without a decent roof i have watched get worse year after year,i have never met in gois anyone who has bothererd with a survey on a semi ruin it is usually obvious,if you knoww the name of the builder and he is local to gois i proberly know him,happy to give opinion
Old Aug 5th 2021, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your reply Moses
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi Peter
Thank you for your reply. The house is Casa Folgado in Gois The estate agent will recommend a solicitor and he is brining a builder. We are meeting him at 11am on 13th August at his offices in Gois. He says that the builder can make everything good for 10,000 euros - the roof, outside of the building, the patio floor and a bedroom floor where water has come in. The estate agent is Nuno Fernandes, Pro Directa, Rua Antonio de Almeida Freire, Colmeal, Gois. You can see pictures of the property on Propertyunder20k, the reference number is PD0344
Kind Regards
Sue

Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your reply, I'm trying to do as much research as possible
Kind regards
Sue
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Peter
Thanks so much for your reply. The house is Casa Folgado, you can find it on Propertyunder20k, reference PD0344. the builder's name is Jose Goncalves. The estate agent is Nuno Fernandes, Rua Antonio de Almeida Freire, Colmeal, Gois. He is bringing a builder who says that he can make the property new for 10,000 which includes part of the roof, front of house, floor of outside patio and a bedroom floor where there has been a leak. He says windows will costs 900 euros and door 300 euros. I am interested in the garden and if we would own all of it. We are meeting at his office at 11am on 13th August. I know this may sound cheeky, but would you possibly be able to come along. We would be happy to pay for your time. Just want to be as safe as possible.
Kind regards
Sue
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A solicitor recommended by the agent is a bad idea. That's the root of all property scams.
And definitely get an independent opinion before hiring a builder too.
Probably everyone is ok, but if you do your due diligence you'll feel better.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thank you very much for your reply. The house is Casa Folgado, you can find it on Propertyunder20k, reference PD0344. the builder's name is Jose Goncalves. The estate agent is Nuno Fernandes, Rua Antonio de Almeida Freire, Colmeal, Gois. He is bringing a builder who says that he can make the property new for 10,000 which includes part of the roof, front of house, floor of outside patio and a bedroom floor where there has been a leak. He says windows will costs 900 euros and door 300 euros. I am interested in the garden and if we would own all of it. We are meeting at his office at 11am on 13th August.
Kind regards
Sue
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thank you for your reply. We are meeting Nuno Fernandes, the estate agent at his office in Gois at 11am on 13th August, he is bringing a builder with him. He has stated a price for the solicitor, but with your advice i may look for a different one. The house itself is Casa Folgado in Gois, the site we saw it on is Propertyunder20k reference number PD0344 where there is photos. The builder said he can make new the side of the roof, front of building, patio floor and bedroom floor that has had water in it (maybe due to the roof on that side).
Kind regards
Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.