Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying a property in Gois

Buying a property in Gois

Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a property in Gois

Originally Posted by SusanLorrimer
Hi, from the map included in the property listing it looks like we are in walking distance of the river, but not sure which part of the river
The estate agent's listing also show how much land comes with the property, 40 sq m, not very much.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
The estate agent's listing also show how much land comes with the property, 40 sq m, not very much.
I suppose you get what you pay for. It's a shame the estate agent hasn't given the exact location because you could probably see a bit more on street view. Even the best builder is not trained to complete a proper survey and where do you stand legally if the builder does something wrong or oversees something? I would also be careful if it's terraced and what about the legal situation of the neighbouring properties.
A lot to consider.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 7:39 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

So what's the verdict ??
Old Aug 13th 2021, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

SusanLorrimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi don't know yet, dependent on builders quotes
Old Aug 14th 2021, 6:56 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Well you don't sound overly enthusiastic.

Is the view from the terrace as good as it looks in the pictures ?

Is it walkable to the river beach and is that nice ?

Is the structure actually safe ? What was Peter's view as to how the building compares with others in the area for sale at similar or higher prices ?

Btw, don't immediately throw out the old TV - it might be possible to get going with a ROKU stick plus a No's Kanguru internet connection [ 15 Euros for 15 days ]. Old tv won't attract thieves, if that is even a consideration .

Old Aug 14th 2021, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Hi
I'm cautiously enthusiastic, not sure of the answer to your questions as waiting for builders report, the view is same as the pics
Regards
Sue
Old Aug 14th 2021, 9:52 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Is it walkable to the river beach ? Or how far is it ?

What did Peter think of it, comparing to other properties ?

What did you think of Gois ? Am curious partly on behalf of a friend who might be interested in similar places, at similar prices, if the surrounding circumstances / location are agreeable. It seems to me that how GOIS itself is, and how far the river beach is ( and if it is attractive ) are key to enjoying a place like that mostly as a summer residence, . Tho I can see it being an attractive winter bolt hole as well, with suitable log burner installation.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Its not near a river beach, no heating and the plumbing may be dodgy
Old Aug 19th 2021, 4:56 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

Plumbing.............Does it have a mains sewage connection ? And mains water ingress ?

Or a septic tank ? .

Heating should be fairly easy to resolve : couple of grand at most to install a good logburner in the middle of the downstairs living space.

As re the structure did the builder not give at least a broad brush idea as to what it would take to make it safe, sound, and waterproof ?

Old Aug 19th 2021, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Gois looks a lovely place, and near some beautiful mountain ranges.

Hope all is going well with the information gathering..
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi
it has mains sewage connection. Didn't get the builders quote as decided against buying. Around 30 minutes walk to main Gois riverbeach. Could be around 15000 euros to get work done, but without builders quote can't be sure
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:19 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

Just for info : can you say what you was / were the reason /s you decided against ?

The view looked really great.

You didn't look at any other houses in the Agent's portfolio ? Maybe not too keen on Go'is ??
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

It needed too much work, living room was not very wide and dark, no land or real garden, views nice and walking distance to Gois which is a lovely area, but too many negatives for me
Old Aug 20th 2021, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SusanLorrimer
It needed too much work, living room was not very wide and dark, no land or real garden, views nice and walking distance to Gois which is a lovely area, but too many negatives for me
All of that was clear to me from the estate agent's details. The asking price was also a giveaway. If you want land, you have to pay a bit more money.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Hi, and welcome to the forum from me

I don't want to put any sort of a dampener on your obvious enthusiasm but one thing you might want to be alive to before embarking on this to the point of no return. I have regularly been disappointed or let down by tradespeople here, who never like to say to your face that they're not interested in a job for whatever reason, or that they can't fit you in until at least 3 months' time, or 6 months, or never. I have, so many times, thanked my lucky stars that a doer-upper we had a yen for when we first arrived came to nothing on account of inaction by the estate agent cum architect / project mangement outfit that was marketing it. I reckon we could still be waiting for renovation work to be completed 15 years on.

That's not to say that properties don't get renovated (and very well in many cases I've seen) but it can be a bit hit and miss finding people who actually have the necessary skills, desire and capacity to do the job you want at the time you want it done or who can tell you realistically when they can. You're as likely, in my experience, to either get someone saying they'll come over to look at it on such and such a date and they never turn up or you might get an estimate of costs and then find the person forever uncontactable. If you're on a limited budget, buying a place that's not inhabitable and having (presumably) to rent something else at least in the short term, you might find yourself having to extend your rental contract. Or are you not in the process of moving to Portugal and simply buying / doing this property up as a holiday home / investment / whatever?

Maybe it's different in Gois. You've got some people on this forum with local knowledge there, which is a handy thing.
This was the best post of the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.