Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying and Insuring a Portuguese motorcycle

Buying and Insuring a Portuguese motorcycle

Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:15 pm
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying and Insuring a Portuguese motorcycle

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Seems indeed the law has changed.... (in Portugal) Well done Benny!

http://dre.pt/pdf1s/2009/08/15600/0526505265.pdf
According to my Portuguese insurance broker (his English is perfect so no misunderstanding) the law did change and I can now ride a 125cc scooter on my UK car driving licence - casualty here I come!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

With a full UK car licence before 2001, if I get a less than 125cc scooter, can you have a pillion passenger? Old Uk law said you had to ride with L plates and that meant no pillion passenger.
By the way, this is a great thread - thanks to all those that posted info.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

wertyu2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone now the exact rules on bikes in portugal
ie here 16yo your only allowed 50cc
17yo 125cc

anyone

thanks
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

john999 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Portuguese law allows a 16 year old to ride 50cc, to do 125, you have to be 18 and having a proper motorbike license, class A. Regarding UK or other EU driving licenses, you cannot drive any Portuguese reg. vehicle or motorbike like that. The rules are as fallow
Driving licenses issued by countries inside EU, are valid in Portugal, changing your EU license for a Portuguese one, it is optional. However drivers who relocate in Portugal have the duty to inform the regional IMTT office of their residence area. They should do it during the first 30 days of residence or they will be able to be fined
Basically you can call your nearest IMTT office or “Loja do cidadão”, (not all citizen shop agencies have this facility), and request the form “model 13”. With this form, you’re driving license and your Portuguese residence order; they will issue a document which will allow you to drive with your EU license a Portuguese REG. vehicle in Portugal, during the validation of your license. You can also download this MOD: 13 document on the IMTT website
Remember that it is illegal to drive a Portuguese reg. vehicle just in your normal EU license, except if it is a hired vehicle
To ride any motorbike in Portugal over 50cc you need a proper A license, no car driving license allows you to do it in case of dough call the IMTT on 808 502 020 or email them at [email protected]
Sory about that, new to the forum
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

You need to be 18 and having an A class driving license to ride any bike over 50cc. You cannot ride a 125 on a British car license in Portugal In fact you cannot drive anything in Portugal with a Portuguese Reg. just on a UK license or any other from EU. You need a form model 13, unless it is a hired vehicle. In case of dough contact the Portuguese IMTT
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Driving licenses issued by countries inside EU, are valid in Portugal, changing your EU license for a Portuguese one, it is optional. However drivers who relocate in Portugal have the duty to inform the regional IMTT office of their residence area. They should do it during the first 30 days of residence or they will be able to be fined
Basically you can call your nearest IMTT office or “Loja do cidadão”, (not all citizen shop agencies have this facility), and request the form “model 13”. With this form, you’re driving license and your Portuguese residence order; they will issue a document which will allow you to drive with your EU license a Portuguese REG. vehicle in Portugal, during the validation of your license. You can also download this MOD: 13 document on the IMTT website
Remember that it is illegal to drive a Portuguese reg. vehicle just in your normal EU license, except if it is a hired vehicle
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

[email protected]
808 502 020
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

These replies make me ask a couple of questions as I a not lucky enough to be living in portugal, but have a house there.
I thought to get a scooter to use when I am in portugal, but I am only there 3 or 4 months in total per year, so I am not resident. For the earier posts, if I want a scooter I can't ride on UK licence, so need to become resident (although I am not resident) in order to buy scooter and ride it, legally.

Also, if my UK licence is pre 2001 and allows me to rude 125cc scooter, can I take a passenger?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

wertyu2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks john999
so portuguse people need to be 18yo and hold class a licences,am i right or is that what we need
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

You can´t drive any sort of Portuguese reg. vehicle with a Normal UK license. 125 scooters are classified as motorbikes, with that size of engine allow you to ride on the motorway. I have a British, Spanish and also a Portuguese license, (professional from B to E), prior to 2001 and I had to take an A license here in Portugal for my 125. Just to ride around when my wife is out with her club. If you are 18 you can take an A license but with 18 that will not allow you to ride all sizes of engines. Different rules apply to hired vehicles. If you want to be sure, just email the IMTT and put your questions foreword
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by john999
You can´t drive any sort of Portuguese reg. vehicle with a Normal UK license. 125 scooters are classified as motorbikes, with that size of engine allow you to ride on the motorway. I have a British, Spanish and also a Portuguese license, (professional from B to E), prior to 2001 and I had to take an A license here in Portugal for my 125. Just to ride around when my wife is out with her club. If you are 18 you can take an A license but with 18 that will not allow you to ride all sizes of engines. Different rules apply to hired vehicles. If you want to be sure, just email the IMTT and put your questions foreword
But the law changed recently and Cat. B now allows you to drive a 125. I also thought Bennydorm was wrong but after some research....
http://dre.pt/pdf1s/2009/08/15600/0526505265.pdf

p.s the model 13 form you speak of, its this? http://www.imtt.pt/sites/IMTT/Portug...to%20Geral.pdf

Last edited by gedscottish; Nov 3rd 2009 at 2:30 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me what, if any, restrictions apply if you have Cat B. In particular, can you have a pillion passenger?

I understand that you also have to have residency.

Thanks,