Reload this Page >

Buying and Insuring a Portuguese motorcycle

Buying and Insuring a Portuguese motorcycle

Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Al Pouvar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying and Insuring a Portuguese motorcycle

Right, where do I start?

Can I buy a Portuguese registered bike before I have residency? (impatient I know!!). I have a fiscal number and address here.

Can I insure without residency? Any recommendations for insurance companies? English or Portuguese..

Don't want much do I?

Thanks in advance people!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying and Insuring a Portuguese motorcycle

Originally Posted by Al Pouvar
Right, where do I start?

Can I buy a Portuguese registered bike before I have residency? (impatient I know!!). I have a fiscal number and address here.

Can I insure without residency? Any recommendations for insurance companies? English or Portuguese..

Don't want much do I?

Yes you can to all of the above as you have all you need "numero de Contribuinte"(fiscal number)and your Portuguese address.

You will have to insure with a Portuguese company. There are many,Fidelidade, Zurich, Imp.Bonança etc etc What you won't get though as far as I know of with a bike is "fully comp" insurance

Last edited by gedscottish; Jul 30th 2009 at 4:28 pm. Reason: should have read original post better
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

sayhello77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Al Pouvar
Right, where do I start?

Don't want much do I?

HELLO, I LIVED IN THE ALGARVE FOR 14 YEARS WITHOUT RESIDENCY BUT I WAS MARRIED TO A PORTUGUESE GUY. ANYWAY, I BOUGHT A PORTUGUESE 50CC SCOOTER AND INSURED IT WITH AXA, NO PROBLEMS, HOPE THIS HELPS. JACKIE
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Yes you can to all of the above as you have all you need "numero de Contribuinte"(fiscal number)and your Portuguese address.

You will have to insure with a Portuguese company. There are many,Fidelidade, Zurich, Imp.Bonança etc etc What you won't get though as far as I know of with a bike is "fully comp" insurance
I HAVE A QUESTION MYSELF. WHEN I LIVED IN THE ALGARVE, I BOUGHT A 50CC SCOOTER, WENT TO SILVES TO REGISTER IT, TOOK A QUICK TEST (ANSWERING QUESTIONS TO ROAD SIGNS) THEY THEN GAVE ME A BLUE LICENCA DE CONDUCAO WITH MY PHOTO ON IT AND THE DATE IS VALID FROM 1996-2020. I AM NOW LIVING ENGLAND SINCE 2001, DONT HAVE A CAR LICENCE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS IF MY PORTUGUESE SCOOTER LICENCE WOULD BE VALID HERE IN ENGLAND. THANKS
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yay!! Dunnit!! Cheers Ged - happy bunny

Just the car (LHD on english plates) to do now!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sayhello77
HELLO, I LIVED IN THE ALGARVE FOR 14 YEARS WITHOUT RESIDENCY BUT I WAS MARRIED TO A PORTUGUESE GUY. ANYWAY, I BOUGHT A PORTUGUESE 50CC SCOOTER AND INSURED IT WITH AXA, NO PROBLEMS, HOPE THIS HELPS. JACKIE
Welcome to the forum.

By the way it is more polite on here not to type everything in capitals.

Last edited by Green_shutters; Sep 10th 2009 at 8:24 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sayhello77
I HAVE A QUESTION MYSELF. WHEN I LIVED IN THE ALGARVE, I BOUGHT A 50CC SCOOTER, WENT TO SILVES TO REGISTER IT, TOOK A QUICK TEST (ANSWERING QUESTIONS TO ROAD SIGNS) THEY THEN GAVE ME A BLUE LICENCA DE CONDUCAO WITH MY PHOTO ON IT AND THE DATE IS VALID FROM 1996-2020. I AM NOW LIVING ENGLAND SINCE 2001, DONT HAVE A CAR LICENCE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS IF MY PORTUGUESE SCOOTER LICENCE WOULD BE VALID HERE IN ENGLAND. THANKS

I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT WILL BE VALID OUTSIDE PORTUGAL CONSIDERING THEY ARE ISSUED ONLY BY THE LOCAL CAMARA. A MODERN EU MOTORBIKE LICENCE ISSUED BY THE IMTT PORTUGAL WOULD HOWEVER BE VALID.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Green_shutters
Welcome to the forum.

By the way it is more polite on here not to type everything in capitals.
Sorry, didn't know that, will keep my cap lock off in future. New to this site.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:46 pm
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

I AM TOLD THAT IT IS NOW POSSIBLE TO RIDE A 150CC BIKE ON A UK CAR DRIVING LICENCE, IS THAT CORRECT?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Benny Dorm
I AM TOLD THAT IT IS NOW POSSIBLE TO RIDE A 150CC BIKE ON A UK CAR DRIVING LICENCE, IS THAT CORRECT?
Since we all seem to be shouting here.... I'll go one better and say...
NO I REALLY CAN'T SEE THAT BEING TRUE BUT I STAND (ON THIS RARE OCCASSION) TO BE CORRECTED

Seriously, the laws on this were made tighter in the early ninties if memory serves me well so I can't believe they would make life easier for us now?! I have seriously considered getting abike license here as it is supposed to be easy to get... then you remember how dangerous the cars are here...and a Hummer seems a better option
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:46 pm
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

I think we have both made our point and I'm pleased to see that some people on this forum have a sense of humour. I spoke to my Portuguese insurance broker today and he has confirmed that it is now possible to ride a 125cc (not a 150cc) on a UK car licence.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Benny Dorm
I think we have both made our point and I'm pleased to see that some people on this forum have a sense of humour. I spoke to my Portuguese insurance broker today and he has confirmed that it is now possible to ride a 125cc (not a 150cc) on a UK car licence.

ahh... I must look into this!! A motorbike would be ideal for me going to work and parking... what stopped me before was the shame of driving a 50!

I have tried to google this and could find nothing about, have you made an insurance yet for one? I honestly think before you go & buy one though you should confirm with the DVLA rather than take the word of a broker?!

Certainly a Portuguese car license does not cover for a motorbike, but if they accept a U.K one....its worth hanging on to my U.K license! One thing though, would we not then need to update our U.K license so it shows the new catagory of vehicles that can be driven on the back of license??
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Its a bit confusing...

quote from direct.gov.co.uk
"a light motorcycle licence (A1), which restricts riders to any bike up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75 cc and 125 cc"

then you look at this...(but is this IF you have a bike license...and note the 1 jan. 1997 part)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ons/DG_4022547

I would be interested to see where the broker got the information(we are insurance agents and know nothing about this ourselves...though perhaps we aint well informed)

Just got some more info.... seems if you have Category A1 (which I don't) you can then drive a 125
http://dvlaguide.co.uk/index.php/dvl...you_can_drive/

Just to add to the confusion...
quote from http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Training.aspx

A full car licence automatically gives you a motorcycle provisional.

Full car licences issued before 1st Feb 2001 automatically gave you a full moped licence.

p.s if you can understand all this and know where we stand... let me know! Cause my brain is fried already with this!

Last edited by gedscottish; Sep 12th 2009 at 10:46 am.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Certainly a Portuguese car license does not cover for a motorbike, unsure:

Seems indeed the law has changed.... (in Portugal) Well done Benny!

http://dre.pt/pdf1s/2009/08/15600/0526505265.pdf

Last edited by gedscottish; Sep 12th 2009 at 12:58 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

The dealer I bought my bike from was saying scooter sales are up due to a recent law change in Portugal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.