British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Buying a car in Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/buying-car-portugal-903726/)

fraser24 Sep 23rd 2017 6:15 pm

Buying a car in Portugal

Hi,

I have recently moved to the algarve and I am buying a car.
The one i want can be shipped down from a garage in Porto but they require payment in advance. I have found that the garages I have spoken to do not accept credit card payments even for a deposit ( which i would like to do for protection in the worst case scenario)

Does anyone know if it is common in portugal for dealerships to not accept credit cards?

Thanks

Frser

AliceCaroline Sep 24th 2017 8:50 am

Re: Buying a car in Portugal

We are going to a dealer in Portimão at the beginning of October and will possibly be paying a deposit on a new car.
We've been dealing with them by email so far as we are in the UK and they neglected to reply to our question about how to pay this deposit.

Like you Fraser I'd prefer to pay by card but I've got a feeling they'll want cash or a bankers cheque.
I've heard that companies in Portugal get quite high charges for credit card payments and that's why they don't like you to use them, they say that it's not just a tax fiddle.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Red Eric Sep 24th 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline (Post 12345102)
I've heard that companies in Portugal get quite high charges for credit card payments and that's why they don't like you to use them, they say that it's not just a tax fiddle.

That's it, exactly.

I was able to use my credit card for a deposit on a used vehicle from a dealer but not when the balance was due. They were fine with a debit card payment though.

AliceCaroline Sep 24th 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12345107)
That's it, exactly.

I was able to use my credit card for a deposit on a used vehicle from a dealer but not when the balance was due. They were fine with a debit card payment though.

We have a Portuguese Debit Card, so you think we'll be able to pay the deposit with that then?

Red Eric Sep 24th 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline (Post 12345110)
We have a Portuguese Debit Card, so you think we'll be able to pay the deposit with that then?

No reason at all why not that I can see.

Might be wise to check your limits with the bank in advance - it can be a bit awkward (and embarrassing) having a transaction denied at the moment of purchase :lol:

Sunseeker1st Sep 24th 2017 2:36 pm

... or you can do direct transfer from your bank to theirs. Not sure it has the 'safety' of a credit card though.

RichardHenshall Sep 24th 2017 3:55 pm

What protection does a credit card provide in Portugal? Does the UK Consumer Credit Act's section 75 cover still apply (with a UK-issued card) if the cardholder is UK non-resident? Is there a Portuguese equivalent?

tootlewagon Sep 24th 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Travellove (Post 12345337)
The cars in Portugal is so expensive.. Better buy in Spain :)

Not if you want to keep it - if you buy a Spanish car, you will have re-register it in Portugal after 6 months!

Pilou Sep 25th 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline (Post 12345102)
We are going to a dealer in Portimão at the beginning of October and will possibly be paying a deposit on a new car.
We've been dealing with them by email so far as we are in the UK and they neglected to reply to our question about how to pay this deposit.

Like you Fraser I'd prefer to pay by card but I've got a feeling they'll want cash or a bankers cheque.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Hi AliceCaroline,
We plan to immigrate to Portimao. Is the price of a new car negociable? Or is more or less the official price?

AliceCaroline Sep 25th 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12346245)
Hi AliceCaroline,
We plan to immigrate to Portimao. Is the price of a new car negociable? Or is more or less the official price?

We've only dealt with them by email so far so it's hard to say.

My husband loves to haggle so we will see what happens when we go to see them in person next month. I'll let you know how we get on.

mfesharne Sep 25th 2017 8:29 pm

Yes you can negotiate

AliceCaroline Sep 25th 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12346312)
Yes you can negotiate

On brand new cars?

mfesharne Sep 26th 2017 5:44 am

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline (Post 12346319)
On brand new cars?

It probably depends on vehicle & individual salesman to some extent & you've got nothing to lose anyway.

FWIW, a friend of mine bought a new Nissan Qashqai a few months ago & tells me that after negotiation on price & extras he got them down to almost the same price as the UK.

Pilou Sep 26th 2017 6:23 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12346624)
It probably depends on vehicle & individual salesman to some extent & you've got nothing to lose anyway.

FWIW, a friend of mine bought a new Nissan Qashqai a few months ago & tells me that after negotiation on price & extras he got them down to almost the same price as the UK.

There is hope ;).

AliceCaroline Oct 16th 2017 5:50 pm

Well we paid the deposit for the car with our Portuguese Debit Card and have been asked to pay the outstanding balance by bank transfer the morning that we collect it, in January.